Rural Life

The Killarney and District Historical Society Inc., has been in operation for about 5 years, it has a small membership of about 30. The Society's rooms are called the Heritage Centre, and consist of the two rooms and a strong room that were the business area of a bank built in 1913. The aim of the Society is to stimulate awareness and understanding of the district's past. To met this aim, the society has published several smaller books on local history, and it maintains a collection of items significant to the area. It had also erected sixty markers marking sites that were important in 1901....
The historic houses complex displays on one site three typical North Queensland houses. These are a simple miner's cottage c.1884, a comfortable villa residence c.1888 and a farmhouse c.1921. The houses are furnished in styles appropriate to each house with an emphasis on items made in North Queensland.Each houses is furnished in styles appropriate to it and with an emphasis on items made in North Queensland.
The Tent House is a timber framed house with a canvas roof under a free standing galvanised iron roof. This unusual environmental adaptation was once common in Mount Isa as 1930’s mining company housing.The Tent House contains furnishings and objects of historical interest from Mount Isa.
The Museum is housed in the old power-station building, situated directly opposite the peanut silos in the town's Heritage Precinct. Other historic displays are located in Shire's earliest Council chambers and in Carroll's Cottage (the first building constructed in Kingaroy).The Museum's collection includes machinery used in local agriculture and the district's peanut industry. There is also a collection of tools used in trades such as carpentry, blacksmithing, dairying and the timber industry, as well as household items. The Museum also holds photos and a limited local archival records.
The Cobb & Co Store Museum focuses on the local history of Cobb & Co, in particular the Surat to Yuleba route where Cobb & Co made its last run in 1924. Our feature exhibition 'Changing Ways' follows this theme, displaying our working Cobb & Co coach, an exact scale model of a fully harnessed coach and the local history of the Cobb & Co, including the stories of the families who worked for the company. 'All Among the Wool' shows something of the spirit of the industry that played such a large role in the Shire's development, displaying machinery and memorabilia, as well as...
The Museum is housed in an original river boat "Captain's Cottage" and details the history of Murray Bridge, the importance of the Murray River in the growth of the township and surrounding areas. It also outlines the process of swamp reclamation and the consequent dairy industry which has been a major part of the local industry. Model river boats and cottages are also on display.Approximately 5,500 items, 250 photographs
The Museum is set in one of the State's pioneering outback stations, and presents displays of folk and local history. Exhibits include horse drawn vehicles, original harness room with harness; general store pre 1900, teachers quarters, blacksmiths shop, coach house lookout, drying yard 1860, and inspection of fossil cliffs by arrangement.
Eight separate buildings: The historic pioneer house, the one teacher school, the blacksmith shop, the Government Shed are equipped. Sheds house the farm machinery, stationary engines and fir engine, while a separate museum centre contains a library, photographic and interpretive displays, taped histories and various documents relating to social history. All in bushland setting.Kimba's local history museum includes pioneer domestic and farming items, stationary engines, harness vehicles and equipment, vintage trucks and tractors, a water conservation model, schooling and communication...
We are situated on the main street in the Old Telegraph station c.1860. Focusing the history of the building and towns history. McKinlays artefacts (explorer)Small archival records, small collection of photographs, telegraphic memorabilia, household items. Gawler's early industrial era. General items of the towns businesses.
The museum is housed in the Hog Bay School building, the third school to be built on the site (1922). The first room you enter is the Maritime Room, this displays the history and shipwrecks of Kangaroo Island. The School Porch houses the displays of schooling. The Schoolroom has displays on Early Settlers, including aboriginal women, agriculture, industry, communications and social and domestic life are portrayed.2,000 items, 700 photographs. The displays are organised in such a way that the visitor quickly gains a feel for the history of Kangaroo Island, especially maritime, education, early...
Housed in the 1878 former school building, the Museum features a collection of artefacts and photographs relating to the early settlement and development of central Yorke Peninsula, including its Aboriginal, Agricultural and German heritage.Artefacts and photographs relating to early settlement on central Yorke Peninsula. Archives, Farm Machinery.
The Museum's collections include household items, post office articles, and records, an old school room (1893), blacksmith's shop, farm implements and engines, housed in an 1870 home and outbuildings.700 - 800 items, approximately 200 photographs
South Australia's Museum of immigration and settlement history has developed quick a cult following interstate and overseas for providing some of the most innovative exhibitions on the museum scene. Housed in the restored buildings of what was Adelaide's Destitute Asylum, the Migration Museum takes you on a journey through time showing you the rich cultural diversity of South Australia. The Museum encourages and enjoys community participation at all levels of activity including the use of forum Commonwealth Bank Community Access gallery where communities mount their own displays.
The...
The Museum is located in a former bakehouse comprising grocer's shop, dining room, kitchen, upstairs bedroom and parlour, wash house, underground bakery, implement sheds and portrait gallery. The bakehouse is a special feature and is historically very important.Approximately 800 items plus large quantity of photographs
The Museum is housed in a former General Store and timber yard. The collection comprises machinery, tools, clothing, photographs and household goods used by early settlers in the district. Each summer holidays an exhibition is held in the museum as an added attraction.Approximately 2,000 items
Five buildings house a collection of old machinery, some of which have been restored.
The museum houses a collection of various equipment and items relating to early farming life.
Local history of the district from 1880. Special sections on agriculture, entertainment, sports, marine, schools, churches, transport, household items, photographs, maps and books. The museum if also responsible for the care of Stokes Methodist Church and Pioneer Women's Memorial. Caretakers of the Provis Memorial Park. Markers at the sites of early schools and other places of historical interest. Listing of the heritage listed buildings in the area.900 items, 450 photographs. Memorabilia of local - transport, churches, schools, shipping, shops, early settlers, agriculture, entertainment,...
The Museum is housed in a bakehouse, built in about 1870. Ovens, a bread trough and baking equipment are featured. Local history memorabilia and collections of interest to the community, including some photographs, are also on display.Approximately 600 photographs and 400-600 items of local interest
The Loxton Historical Village has been developed to preserve the history and way of life of the early settlers with the emphasis on the struggle and growth of the farming community from its beginning in 1895. The project started with the building of the pine and pug hut in 1970. There are now over 30 buildings. A mallee stump weighing one and a half tons carries the plaque commemorating the opening by Don Dunstan in 1973.

Pages