Rural Life

Housed in the relocated old Tolga Railway Station, the Tolga Historical Society have a collection of photographs depicting life during World War II, when Tolga was a major base for troops and for an ambulance train, as well as photos of the activities of the local saw mills which have now ceased operations. Other photos depict local maize farming activities and the building of the nearby maize silos. New showcases have recently been constructed to hold the exhibits. Railway apparatus from the original station is still intact.
Located in the main street adjacent to closed ANZ Bank, Café and B&B, the museum is housed in five buildings which contain a varied collection of items and memorabilia depicting life and activities from the surrounding shire area. The main building contains a reconstructed general store and barber shop, and rooms have been outfitted with furniture depicting a parlour and bedroom from the 1920s. A slab shed, built with materials from local properties, holds mining and agricultural equipment. Many exhibits depict rural life from earlier times, including examples of fencing, a horse works...
The Mulgrave Settlers Museum is a "living" museum with displays and dioramas depicting scenes and the way of life from earlier times. These include a blacksmith's shop, and old store, circa 1888, timber cutters, a miner panning for gold, a turn of the century kitchen and an Aboriginal display. Also features a Chinese display including a figure of Joss, as the Chinese played a prominent part in the history of Gordonvale by clearing land, starting market gardens and many other shops.Collection depicts the history of the Mulgrave Shire Area including a large photographic collection...
This five room former station Mistress's residence houses the collections of the Boyne Valley Historical Society. These collections focus on the timber, gold mining and railway history which was so important to the development of the region. Two rooms of the cottage are reconstructed as a 1930s kitchen and bedroom. The rest of the cottage features display cases, photographs and wall displays on the themes of gold mining, timber and transport.
Housed in former buttery factory. Built in 1919 plus railway buildings moved and railway carriage. Emphasis on dairy industry, ambulance, dolls, railways and anything else connected with the area.Unknown
Social history displays of items of cultural and historic interest in a building of historic significance (former School of Arts - National Trust listed). Specialising in photographic displays with large collection of originals and copies. Also needlework and lace artefacts.3500 photographs and continually growing - predominantly on the Maryborough Burnett region, 3000 books, hundreds of files. Wedding gowns 1890-1910.
The collection is housed in the National Bank building, built at Barcaldine in 1906. Other buildings include a wagon shed, furnished single man's railway quarters and an unusual two storey building built in 1900, which was the bookkeeper/manager's office at Westbourne wool scour. A miniature train is available for rides on the last Sunday of the month from March to October. Morning tea and a barbecue lunch are available on these family days. A Railway Guard's van, once the Barcaldine Information Centr, serves as an office and storage for historical archives relating to Barcaldine and...
The museum is located in the former Sisters of Mercy convent erected in 1887-1889. Following restoration by the National Trust, the James Cook Museum was opened in 1970. A $2.3 million Commonwealth Federation Fund grant in 2001 has enabled a rear Gallery extension to be added and the interior displays updated.The new Endeavour Gallery contains the original anchor and cannon from Captain Cook's ship "Endeavour", plus detailed items relating to Cook's extended stay in Cooktown in 1770.The museum also contains other items from Cooktown's early history.Photographic collection of...
Quilpie now has the only purpose built Gallery and Museum in Outback Queensland. A stunning piece of Modern Architecture, the museum is home to a changing and varied exhibition, over two galleries. Displays are mostly professional exhibitions or locally commissioned from Quilpie Artists.
The Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre recalls those familiar features of the Australian landscape - corrugated iron roofs, water tanks, silos, wool sheds and shady verandahs. The interior features a vaulted ceiling and displays designed to reflect the wide-open spaces, colour and character of the outback landscape they celebrate.

The Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre has now proven itself to be the envisaged tourism destination. Longreach is a pivotal point on the Tropic of Capricorn, linking the Reef in the east with...
Photographic archive room situated within the school of history and politics, James Cook University. Display prints hang in the corridors and open areas of the department.50,000 plus photographs, depicting the history of North Queensland
Stage two of Qantas Founders Outback Museum was opened on 31 March 2002, as part of the Queensland Heritage Trails Network project. The new building resembles an aircraft hanger and houses the state-of-the-art museum, a café, shop and resource centre. Interactive multimedia, working displays and historical artefacts tell the history of QANTAS, giving visitors insight into the challenges overcome by the fledgling airline, the impact the new airline had on outback life and an appreciation for the people who expanded the business from the airline's first plane, an open cockpit Avro 504K, to the...
Museum of Cloncurry and District local history.
The Museum consists of two large corrugated iron sheds. Displayed in these we have heavy agricultural machinery, farming equipment and other large and smaller items relating to a dairying district. Despite this the museum is not crowded. Also displayed, in glass cabinets we have crockery, glassware, bric-a-brac, sewing articles and three rooms depicting the 1930's - 1940's style of living. Our small items and photo room contains many records, fabrics and various documents. We have a great collection of transcripts of taped interviews with long time residents of Rosalie Shire. We have...
We are a small group attempting to preserve the original site of white settlement in the area and the surrounding history. In addition, we are promoting local cultural activities on the site. Our most famous building is made from local stone and is possibly the first building built to metric dimensions in Australia.
The museum building was formerly a Scared Heart Convent of the Sisters of Mercy; two story timber 15mts x 25mts, internal walls are stained with tongue and groove crow's ash (1946). Yarraman Railway Station (1913) and Arthur Brown's butcher shop (c.1920). The grounds contain a scrub/rainforest area, farm machinery, plant shade house, water wise garden and unique water tank system from convent days. The total area is 1.2 hectares.The collection started in October 1997. Yarraman Heritage Centre has a wide range of community involvement, manly because of the necessity to attract large fundings...
The heritage listed Woolscour, that is once again operated by steam, has been left intact as a living document, it is the lat one of this type in Australia. There is a 20 stand shearing shed attached to the wool washing complex and an open flowing bore nearby. Outbuildings include a cookhouse, shearers quarters and managers residence. It has been left mainly intact. Current conservation work was completed in early 2002, with steam being reintroduced to the site.The collection consists mainly of historic machinery and buildings, large boilers, steam engines, wool washing troughs, large steam...
The museum's collection was commenced by the late Arther Jeffrey in 1972 and is housed in two buildings. The original museum has been moved to its present site and restored to hold memorabilia of early shire life. The main building houses Maritime and Endeavour displays, aboriginal artefacts, a photographic display and the reading room. Also on display are natural history objects including Sir Joseph Banks' plant studies, as well as coral, shell, fossil and rock collections .Significant items in the collection include the Endeavour voyage book, objects relating to Banks and Solander and their...
Established in 1977, the museum is located in the sugar village of Mourilyan, just south of Innisfail North Queensland, and is dedicated to Australia's sugar heritage, from 1823 to the present day. In 1988, with Bicentennial funding, the Museum's display space was significantly enlarged, exhibits improved and a retail area added.
The museum offers guided tours, audio visual presentations, static displays, changing exhibitions and activities for children.
In the Sugarama Gallery attached to the museum a changing exhibition program showcases Queensland's social history and visual...
Yalga-binbi's main role is conducting community development consultancies and adult education in urban and rural settings. It is part of Shalom Community Development Services along with Shalom Teaching College (indigenous p-12 school), Elders Village, construction company etc, all set up by VAICCCollected between 1993 and 1996 (with some earlier works) Made with Meaning is a survey of the contemporary artwork of the Aboriginal people of Far North Queensland. Work comes from rural towns and remote communities of Cape York Peninsula, Gulf Country and rainforest cultures and environments. The...

Pages