Social History Museum

Agricultural past displayed on modern working farm. Attractions include an animal nursery, picnic area and landcare farm drive trail, homestead built in 1850 and 1890s Oregon stable complex that houses our Clydesdale horses. The farm buildings are still in use. There are over 400 museum pieces on display including fifteen working tractors.260 items of restored agricultural machinery plus a homestead with over 200 items. Agricultural machinery collection, working farm, landcare education centre and farm drive trail, animal interaction, working Clydesdales.
Built C1852 as part of Convict Hiring Depot, later extended for use by Resident Magistrate. Taken over in 1902 by the State Health Department and included in the hospital complex until 1963. Vacant until 1969 when restored by the York Society for establishment of the museum.The development of York from 1831, including surrounding area. Reflects changes in York society and lifestyle since settlement. Large photographic collection.
Housed in an old building that has been extended. We have a small Museum which embraces a costume collection of c 2,000 pieces, an art collection of c 200 pieces, a huge photograph collection and a library. All of these are focused on Western Australian history and are run and maintained by volunteers of various trained expertise.Historic costumes and all related account remain including sewing machines, irons act. Photographs. Paintings and drawings.
Very early suburban development in Perth, Western Australia with interesting variety of architecture in the area, colourful history, strong local community awareness.
Building - 1923 heritage building, originally an electrical sub-station. Became the Subiaco Museum in 1975, with five gallery spaces.The scope is limited to the geographical area of the city of Subiaco, taking in the suburbs of Subiaco, Shenton Park, Jolimont and Daglish. However the scope is wide in terms of time and in its coverage of all aspects of local cultural history. Social change eg The "Gentrification"...
The local history museum collects, documents, preserves and promotes those records and artefacts relating to the cultural and natural heritage of the city of Melville.3,500 items (2000 photographs)
Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls.

The kitchen...
The museum is located inside the original Mingenew Government school, built in 1894. We are run solely by volunteers. We have two machinery sheds housing farming machinery and implements, some in working order. Located in a small rural community. We have a small collection of aboriginal artefacts. We also have a telephone exchange switchboard.Farming machinery, photographs, curios from the late 1800's to present day. Minutes from most of Mingenews sporting and community groups. Our main focus is on Minenew and it's development.
The museum is housed in a large modern brick building in the township of Serpentine, 55kms south of Perth. The museum's aim is to preserve our rural past for future generations. Some of our tractors are used for demonstrations at field days. Bus tours and school groups are encouraged to visit.The collection contains 58 Tractors, most in very good condition and working order, including a very rare M.A.N diesel tractor. Also on display are restored stationary engines, saws, pumps and various other farm items.
The JCPML has been established to honour the contribution to Australia of its wartime Prime Minister and international statesman, John Curtin, the Prime Minister whose inspirational leadership and political courage unified Australia during the grim years of World War II.

Situated on the grounds of Curtin University of Technology in Perth, the library is a purpose built archival and educational facility providing secure and environmentally stable storage for the preservation of unique material and appropriately designed facilities for researchers.

The JCPML's major...
Whiteman Park is a large conservation and leisure reserve, and also the home of the Whiteman Collection. An exhibition "Before Whiteman was a Park" tells of the land which has become Whiteman Park, its natural and cultural values and one of the last private owners of the land, Lew Whitemand, whose love for the place has become his lasting legacy. Some of the largest waggons and agricultural machines are diplayed under open shelters.Over 4000 objects from the private collection of the late Lew Whiteman have been vestd in Whiteman Park. The collection contributes to the park's...
WA’s largest regional museum, the new Western Australian Museum Geraldton showcases the Mid West region with original displays that intrigue, inform and inspire.
Located on the waterfront on the magnificent Batavia Coast Marina, the building itself symbolises the meeting of the land and the sea, a theme that is present throughout the Museum.
Three permanent galleries are housed within the Museum - the Mid West Gallery, Shipwreck Gallery and Aboriginal Gallery as well as a travelling exhibition hall and theatrette screening re-enactments of the famous Batavia mutiny.
Stepping...
The Museum is housed in the Old Police Station, Prison and Courthouse complex. The building was erected in 1870, with extensions being completed in 1873. The original building comprised a court room, police station, cell block and living quarters, and was built from locally-quarried limestone; the walls are some 450mm thick, constructed in the coarse random rubble style. The roof, which was originally wooden shingle, has been replaced by corrugated iron. A sample of the original shingles is displayed in the exhibition.

The Irwin District Historical Society have another museum...
The building is the first permanent Courthouse in the Eastern Goldfields. It is part of the block of government buildings which is comprised of the Courthouse, Mining Registrar Offices and residences, Post Office and Residences. Construction commenced in 1892. The foundations are of local stone cemented together with mud. The walls are of locally made mud bricks.
The museum's major exhibit is a B-52 bomber. Other exhibits include the wreckage of the first Zero shot down over Australian soil, Mirage and Sabre jets, B-52 Mitchell, Wessex helicopter, Spitfire replica and a number of civil aircraft and ultralights. There are displays of aircraft engines, armament, photos and memorabilia depicting the history of aviation in the Northern Territory from the early record breaking flights through to the jet age. This is all housed in a single hangar approximately sixty metres by sixty metres by fifteen metres high at its apex.20,000 items plus 50,000...
Located in the grounds of the Old Timers Village the Museum is half way between Alice Springs CBD and the airport. Old Timers began in the early 1950's as part of Rev Dr John Flynn's dream of, "a mantle of safety" for people of the inland, a place where they could retire in comfort and receive medical attention. Today it consists of nursing home, hostel, independent living units, day therapy centre and Museum.

It was the dream of another man in the 1960's that saw the Museum created. Then manager of Old Timers, John Blakeman, concerned that the history of Central...

Hartley Street School was opened in 1930 as a small two-roomed school. It was extended in 1940 by an additional room and verandah, and in 1945 an octagonal room and classroom were added. The National Trust occupies the most recent section, which houses the Trust office, library, shop and School Museum.Less than 100 items, estimated 6,000 photographs

A site of the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory (MAGNT), this exhibition offers a range of displays about the search for pearls in Northern Australia from the historic hard-hat days to modern day pearl farming.Exhibits comprise loans and MAGNT collection material.
Located on the Esplanade overlooking the harbour, Lyons Cottage is the only example of colonial bungalow style architecture to be found in Darwin. The building is constructed of locally quarried porcellanite stone and in its time was the first stone residence constructed in Darwin. Featuring shuttered windows and high ceilings, the design of the cottage echoes the distinctive architectural style of British colonial dwellings in India, Malaysia and Singapore.
Built in 1907-08, this building served as the town's gaol until 1938. Stuart Town Gaol was the town's first official building. Although it is architecturally simple in style, its use of local materials if of great importance. The floor plan and fittings reflect the harsh discriminatory treatment of prisoners during the time of its use. The display focus is on the history of law and order in Central Australia and the conditions under which prisoners were kept until 1938.
Molly Clark of Old Andado Station founded Australia's National Pioneer Women's Hall of Fame in 1993. It is a national project dedicated to preserving the place of women in history and their special contribution to Australia's heritage. The National Pioneer Women's Hall of Fame is currently building up a collection of stories, photographs, artifacts and memorabilia relating to pioneering women, as well as a reference library of books, video and audio cassettes relating to Australian women's history. We are intending to put our databases online in the near future including our HerStory...

Pages