Subiaco Museum

Subiaco Museum

Very early suburban development in Perth, Western Australia with interesting variety of architecture in the area, colourful history, strong local community awareness.
Building - 1923 heritage building, originally an electrical sub-station. Became the Subiaco Museum in 1975, with five gallery spaces.

Address: 
241 Rokeby Road, Subiaco, WA
Tel: 
0892379227
Hours: 
Tuesday to Sunday 2.00pm - 5.00pm
Admission: 
Donation
Facilities: 
Wheelchair access, Education programs, Brochure.
Collection: 
The scope is limited to the geographical area of the city of Subiaco, taking in the suburbs of Subiaco, Shenton Park, Jolimont and Daglish. However the scope is wide in terms of time and in its coverage of all aspects of local cultural history. Social change eg The "Gentrification" of former industrial areas is well documented in the Photographic collection.
Share

Items

Aboriginal Artefact

Aboriginal (Noongar) symbolic message stick.

Aboriginal (Noongar) symbolic message stick.
Creator:
Shane Pickett
Description:
Aboriginal message stick - symbolic, larger than traditional message stick. Carved from the local bush timber by Aboriginal artist, Shane Pickett who also painted the decoration on its surface. Commissioned by the Museum as part of its commitment to Aboriginal/White Australian reconciliation.
Date:
1996
Item Id Number:
98.14

Subiaco, Western Australia, Perth

Built structure

House façade and veranda once at 210 Park Street, Subiaco.

House façade and veranda once at 210 Park Street, Subiaco.
Creator:
Unknown. Re-constructed by Richard Diggins and Colin Moore.
Description:
Cottage façade, timber and iron. Veranda - "Bull nosed", window and front door with stained glass window, knocker and number. The house was demolished, mid 1970's with others at the western end of Park St. to create space for a car park. It is a typical Subiaco workers cottage. The façade was donated by Cape Demolition Co. to the Subiaco Historical Society at a time of heightened awareness of heritage architecture and mass demolitions.
Date:
1905-1920
Item Id Number:
98-15

Subiaco, Western Australia, Perth

Church Pulpit

St Andrew's Anglican Church Pulpit

St Andrew's Anglican Church Pulpit
Creator:
Whittaker Brothers, carpenters and timber merchants.
Description:
Pulpit, wooden, octagonal base. Two panels of the octagon are omitted from the upper section allowing access to the clergy. Decorated with gothic arches and acorn and oak leaf motif. Octagonal pulpit made of Jarrah and She-Oak timber. Stands 2 metres high.
Date:
1905
Item Id Number:
B-258

Subiaco, Western Australia, Perth

Photograph

Amy Johnson meets Mayor George Olney

Amy Johnson meets Mayor George Olney
Creator:
Unknown
Description:
Aviator, Amy Johnson meets Subiaco's Mayor George Olney, during her visit to the Subiaco Flying Club's air field in July 1930. This was one of her gala appearances during her Australian tour.
Date:
July 1930
Item Id Number:
P85.84

Subiaco, Western Australia, Perth

Photograph

Sunbeam Villa, Subiaco

Sunbeam Villa, Subiaco
Creator:
Unknown
Description:
Whittakers 'Kit' homes consisted of pre-cut timber and other materials, often erected by the householder over the weekend. Several styles and sizes of dwelling work offered. Many residents of Subiaco moved from tents into these cottages.
Date:
1895 - 1910
Item Id Number:
P85.340

Subiaco, Western Australia, Perth