Social History

As part of the North Pine Country Park Historic Precinct, operated by the Pine Rivers Shire Council, our all volunteer society operates the boiler house to keep alive the machines which helped to bring industry and prosperity to our state. It provides a unique learning experience for members and visitors alike.The boiler house has a unique collection of large steam engines, plus a number of smaller ones, that run on live steam. It also includes a 1900 traction engine, numerous old stationary engines and tractors, trucks and other memorabilia.
The Museum is housed in six buildings whose sections deal with roadside relics, old tools, the old shop, dairy, washing and ironing, household goods, clocks, telephones, lights, wireless, old hospital, pottery, jewellery and toys. The proprietor, John Menzies works in the museum as a harness maker, wheelwright, coach builder, mule skinner and blacksmith. He demonstrates his skills in these areas, as well as the working collection of horse gear and horse-drawn vehicles to visitors.8,000 items
Pioneer Cottage is a house museum, built in c.1880 of local cedar and beech by the pioneer John Kerle Burnett. Structurally unaltered, the rooms and furnishings are arranged as used by the Burnetts. On display are many household items that were in everyday use. The Burnett family lived in the cottage for more than seventy years. The displays reflect their early lifestyle and the living alterations they made as times changed. The Sibyl Vise Museum Room provides visitors with the opportunity to browse through photographs and read about the history of Buderim. At the rear of the cottage a slab...
The museum is situated in ten hectares of parkland and houses a vast display of mining era memorabilia: housing, dairy display, mining equipment etc. It also features a railway museum and a light horse museum. The winding engine operates under steam a minimum of four times a year.Over 4,000 items
This extensive collection of local and Darling Downs history features a large display of memorabilia. The Allora and District Historical Society also has a second museum, the Old Shire Hall. This is located on the corner of Forde and Warwick streets. It provides facilities for reading and research as well as special displays. The Museum is open on the 4th Saturday in each month as well as by appointment. Admission is also $1.50.Approximately 10,000 items and 2,500 photographs
The Winton and District Historical Society have operated the Qantilda Museum since 1972. The members of the society are volunteers who donate their time to help educate people about the pioneers who built the outback. During the 28 year existence of the historical society a huge collection of outback memorabilia and artworks have been accumulated, documented and set out in such a way as to educate people on the livelihood of the aboriginal inhabitants and, the livelihood of the districts settlers and their descendants. A reading room, which is frequently updated, provides an immense...
The museum represents the social and natural history of Eumundi through displays and historical documentation. The museum has digitised it's photographic collection and provides access to these images through a computer situated within the museum. Further records are added regularly. The museum is situated in the former Methodist church, built in 1911.300 objects, 200 natural history specimens, 2 500 photographs. The Eumundi Historical Museum contains social history collections, family history documentation, a comprehensive natural history collection and an extensive collection of historical...
The stone house was constructed in the 1880s. The Museum features local historical items of interest, including photographs, machinery, communications and cultural materials from the local area.The Stone House, The Fossil Museum, The Howard Cottage with photographs, medical and local items, rural items.
The Museum is a complex comprising different buildings and collections. It includes a display area for vehicles, a jailhouse, a courthouse, a slab hut, social history buildings and a Museum display area.500 items
About 2,000 photographs are on display, arranged according to local district, all housed in the former one-room Walloon Shire Chambers. Information on pioneer families is available. Near the Museum is a shingle-roofed dairy with artefacts of the industry.2,000 photographs plus dairying artefacts, comprehensive library of local industry, family, school and church histories
The North Stradbroke Island Historical Museum comprises four buildings. The history of the Dunwich Benevolent Asylum (the first state aged care nursing home) from 1866 to 1947 is displayed in a replica 1872 ward that was a Centenary of Federation project; the main building houses the general collection and is constructed of timber from demolished Benevolent Asylum buildings and contains the Aboriginal, shipwreck, communications, pioneer and present day industries displays; the Herdsman's Hut (dismantled, moved 200 metres, then reassembled) is an original Benevolent Asylum building; a replica...
The Historical Society of Cairns was formed by the School of Arts Committee in 1958 to study and record the history of Far North Queensland. It has fulfilled these aims admirably. Its publication program includes books such as Photographic Memories, Establishment Trinity Bay, Cairns Range Railway and Cairns Mulgrave Tramway, as well as several minor booklets and 485 monthly bulletins. The current membership of the Society is over 390 and growing. The Society has been housed in the School of Arts Building since its inception and is run by a dedicated group of voluntary workers and office...
A display of smaller objects and pictorial and written material of local and cultural significance attached to Cunnamulla Library.This is a small but interesting collection with a library in front. It mostly consists of written and pictorial items of historical and cultural significance including, old photographs and items such as bottles, irons, books, aboriginal stones and old types of equipment.
The Cardwell Museum holds material in two library buildings (Cardwell and Tully). This consists mainly of historical photographs, although objects are beginning to be acquired. All items are of local interest to the Cardwell Shire area. The Museum includes a collection of local Aboriginal artefacts, and features material on the local sugar industry.2,500 photographs, 300 items
The Raspberry Creek Homestead was moved to Byfield from the Shoalwater Bay Military area in 1987. Its buildings and items are appropriate to a remote cattle property pre 1950. The site includes a library, and museum artefacts will be on display for special occasions.
The Museum displays Wondai Shire's history through artefacts from the early 1900s. Some of these include a 1934 Dennis fire engine, an Australia Remembers cabinet, bottle collection, steam traction engine, a hospital operating theatre, shingle barn, manual telephone exchange, petrol pump, church organ 1916, film projection equipment plus numerous farm machinery, equipment and other items.Approximately 8,500 items including photographic boards.
The complex is a pioneer village and museum. It comprises eleven weatherboard buildings in original condition: a museum hall (3 buildings); Acutt House - 1930 original home; 1910 ex Methodist Church and Church Vestry; a blacksmith shop; Dairy and three sheds of agricultural and manufacturing machinery including special "sugar cane" collection; and Goodwood Railway Station with rails and small goods carriage used for servicing oil tankers from the "Pier". The buildings are furnished with historical items, including significant collections of agricultural machinery, tools...
This heritage-listed woolscour, that once operated by steam, has been left intact as a living document. It is this last one of this type in Australia. There is a 20 stand shearing shed attached to the wool washing complex and an open flowing bore nearby. Outbuildings include a cookhouse, shearers quarters and managers residence. It has been left mainly intact and conservation work completed in 2002 reintroduced steam to the site.The collection consists mainly of historic machinery and buildings, large boilers, steam engines, wool wash troughs, large steam driven dryers, historic wool presses...
The museum is in a fully furnished (c 1900) house and preserves a record of the history of the district through the home and furnishings, some farm machinery, sheds, tools, a slab shed and harness. The dairy industry and butter factory artefacts are featured. The museum also includes an extensive collection of photographs and a growing collection of the histories of people in the town and district.890 articles plus 820 photographs
The Heritage Centre consists of six distinct buildings plus a streetfront display of a windmill ostensibly supplying water to a 2 metre water wheel. This is backed by a covered display of wagons and farm machinery. The whole reflect the folk history content of the museum's buildings.Approximately 250 items

Pages