Social History

Nutcote was the harbourside home of the famous children's author and illustrator May Gibbs. It was built to her design in 1925 by acclaimed Sydney architect B.J Waterhouse. She lived there for forty four years until her death in 1969. Following a nation-wide outcry at the proposed demolition by a developer, the house was bought by the North Sydney Council and opened to the public in 1994.May Gibbs' property and possessions were sold on her death and the funds given to children's charities. The main items in the collection are the house itself and the garden; some items of furniture originally...
The Museum of the Riverina has two impressive sites. The first is situated in the former Historic Council Chambers, built in 1881, and converted in 1998 to function as a museum facility. This site is used as a meeting venue - in the former chamber - and as a venue for hosting a regular program of travelling exhibitions.

The second site, adjacent to the Botanic Gardens, was formerly run by the Wagga Wagga & District Historical Society, and opened in 1965. The site was renovated and reopened in September 2001 and contains internal exhibitions and a number of outbuildings. The...
Yamba's museum display has often been described by visitors as the finest small historical collection on Australia's east coast. Sited close to the towns centre on a sealed road which leads to one of the area's most beautiful Pacific Ocean beaches, the museum is located in spacious grounds with ample off-street parking. Directly opposite in a well-maintained park is a fully restored 150 year flagstaff, which once controlled the entry and exit of all ships into the nearby Clarence River, the biggest single waterway on the East Coast. The flagstaff surrounds are the focal point fro many local...
The museum houses the work of the Millthorpe and District Historical Society, who have spent thirty-six years collecting, conserving and displaying district records, artefacts, farm equipment, family history and photographs and domestic appliances. The Society provides Family History research, copies of portraits and material. They promote local history through special events, host family reunions, provide access for school excursions and coach tours, and undertake fund-raising ventures for capital improvements to the museum property.The collection includes; farm machinery, an important...
The exhibition is housed in a large shed located in the grounds of historic Mamre homestead that was built in the 1820s by colonial pastoralist Reverend Samuel Marsden. Other historic locations nearby include E.G. Blaxland's farm, South Creek Park, Bennett's wagon and Bronte House.Record albums contain over 3,000 traditional and contemporary Australian folk songs. Display of 150 album covers in unique displays. Many rare recordings. Specially painted murals depict convict and pioneer life. Replica of Ned Kelly's armour.
The museum is situated in a converted domestic house, in the grounds of GAZA depot, the home of the 12th/16th Hunter River Lancers. GAZA depot has been used for military purposes for 103 years and the building is heritage listed. Original horse tie rails still remain adjacent to the hall.The collection consists of memorabilia and artefacts donated as family heirlooms, and items salvaged from disposal or destruction. The museum's focus is on the military service history of the local community, the Units in which community members served and the theatres of war. This includes Units which were...
With origins dating back to 1826, the Library has a unique history and a collection consisting of over 5 million items plus 9,533 linear metres of manuscripts and 5,368 hours of oral history. It is a premier information resource for the people of New South Wales and beyond.The Mitchell Library and the Dixson Library form the Australian Research Collections of the State Library of New South Wales. These Collections contain materials in a variety of formats relating to Australia and the south-west Pacific, with special emphasis on the state of New South Wales.

All kinds of...
The Museum of Education consists of two original 1880's school buildings (Pallamallawa and Dumaresq) and a post WWII portable building from the Armidale High School. A weather-shed and a pit toilet complete the ensemble. Each schoolhouse is furnished with authentic school furniture, books, teaching aids and photographs.Of special significance is the collection of early school texts and departmental publications, comprising 6000 volumes. Armidale's Museum of Education is considered to be the most comprehensive collection of educational material held in any university or public collection,...
Dundullimal was built in the 1840s originally as part of a 6,500 hectare squatting run. The timber slab homestead is sophisticated in its T-shape plan and fine cedar joinery. Stone stables, stockyards and the remnants of a 19th century garden all help make this a fascinating visit.
This picturesque colonial Georgian cottage (c.1845) set in fine gardens was bequeathed to the National Trust by Miss Ida Traill, a descendant of pioneering settlers in the Bathurst district. The 19th century cottage garden is ablaze with colour in Spring. Containing memorabilia collected by Miss Traill and her family, the cottage provides an authentic record of life in Australia's oldest inland city.
The property, established in the 1830s, was developed by F.J. White, a member of one of Australia's significant pastoral families. A visit to Saumarez Homestead brings to life the world of a pastoral property.The Trust property comprises a two-storey Edwardian mansion, set in elaborate gardens and a rich collection of farm buildings dating from the 1840s to 1950s.
The National Trust of Australia (NSW) is a non-government, Community organisation which promotes the conservation of both the built and natural heritage (e.g. Buildings, bushland, cemeteries, scenic landscapes, rare and endangered flora and fauna, and steam engines may all have heritage value). The Trust has approximately 30,000 members in New South Wales.The National Trust owns and operates many house museums and galleries. There are separate Guide listings for the following properties: Ahimsa, Bedervale, Cooma Cottage, Dalwood House, Dundullimal, Everglades Gardens, Experiment Farm Cottage...
The Spastic Centre was the first organisation of its kind in the world for people with cerebral palsy. The Archives track the development of treatment, education, accommodation and employment services at Mosman and Allambie Heights (Warringah) in Sydney, NSW.The collection consists of: the key administrative records from one of the Centre's founders, Audrie McLeod; photographs from the 1950s to 1980s, fundraising and awareness campaigns, the development and operation of Centre Industries at Allambie Heights; building work at Mosman and Allambie Heights; research reports from overseas visits;...
This local history collection covers Pittwater local government area, and to some extent Manly and Warringah. It includes photographs, books, documents, newspaper cuttings and oral histories.3,500 Photographs, 300 Books, Files, Documents, Oral histories, Maps, Displays
The Blue Mountains Historical Society's premises are on the site of a 50 acre grant of land to John McLaughlin, a Sydney solicitor and member of the Legislative Council in 1879. This historic cottage, "Tarella", which was built by him in 1890, is the oldest cottage on the northern side of Wentworth Falls. The cottage rooms are set up in the period of the early 1900s with many items belonging to the McLaughlin family, who were the sole owners prior to the BMHS ownership in 1988.

The modern premises consist of the Research Centre, which holds over 10,000 local records of...
The Museum is housed in one of Katoomba's historic sandstone residences. Situated half a kilometre from Echo Point, The Three Sisters and The Scenic Railway, the Museum is on all mountain scenic bus routes.The Museum's collection of purses and handbags dates from 1650 to the late 1900s and shows examples of fashion excesses and trends. There are over 400 items in the collection demonstrating many craft techniques such as beadwork, crochet and embroidery.
The Powerhouse Museum Research Library collection, services and staff expertise provide a rich research resource for museum staff, library visitors and colleagues in the cultural sector. The Research Library collection dates from the establishment of the museum in 1880. The collection is diverse and reflects the changing research requirements from the past and anticipates future research needs. The library collects to support exhibition development, publication production, education programmes, museology and corporate information needs.The research Library collection reflects the interests...
Bundanoon History Group Inc has a collection relevant to Bundanoon dating from 1862. The display is constantly rotated between the stack and display room. The collection contains photos, newspaper articles, essays and letters - of particular interest are those of Jordan's Crossing.The collection is mainly paper records: both text and photographs. There are photographs of schools and school children, class rolls covering almost 150 years of a village where agriculture, timber and coal industries flourished. Contemporary information is also collected.
The NSW Schoolhouse Museum is housed in the first school buildings of North Ryde Public School. The original schoolroom was built in 1877 and started with 45 children. A second room was added in 1893 and two further rooms were added in 1910. Each room, and the differences evident in their architecture, reflect the philosophy of education of each period - from the church-like appearance of the earliest room to the curved corners of the 1910 rooms designed to minimise dust.

The rooms have been authentically restored and furnished with original school furniture items together with...
The Museum was the old Muttaburra Hospital. Half of the Museum is a medical museum (as it was); the other half focuses on the local area, displaying the history of Muttaburra and places of interest.Approximately 1200 items and approximately 200 photographs

Pages