Surveying

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
A vibrant place in the heart of the city, Canberra Museum and Gallery (CMAG) celebrates the region's social history and visual arts with dynamic exhibitions and unique community programs and events. Working in partnership with the community to celebrate our rich and diverse cultural heritage, CMAG also features the permanent exhibition, 'Reflecting Canberra'.Collection has only been developing since 1996 (therefore it is small). Visual arts and social history of Canberra and region in particular, local history and that which explores nexus between local and national. Australians often forget...
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The collection was given to the University of Sydney in 1887 by Sir William John Macleay, and incorporated the natural history and ethnographic collections of three members of the Macleay family. The collections are still of considerable research interest and great historical significance, and have been expanded to include historic scientific instruments and historic photographs. The museum has many nineteenth century features including elegant cedar display cases and an atmosphere of great charm and aesthetic appeal. Temporary exhibitions complement the permanent displays.700,000 insects...
The collection housed the Royal Australian Navy's presentations, relics and trophies, in buildings originally designed to warehouse armaments and ammunition. These are located on an island at the extreme western end of Sydney Harbour. The buildings date from 1865. Items from the collection are lent to most major maritime and military museums and throughout the Royal Australian Navy.Over 750,000 items
A Beau Geste-style fortress structure houses this social history museum. Its emphasis is on military history, with exhibits ranging from a Japanese tank to miniature soldiers. The Museum also features a historic comics section, stamps, hundreds of cameras, rare musical instruments and other items of general and Australian historical interest.
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.
The Museum was formerly the Kandos Methodist Church, a unique building built to an American plan, brought to the town by the manager of NSW Cement, Lime and Coal Co. in 1915.

The Museum has a strong focus on the Cement industry based in this shire. It is possibly the only Museum in the state to collect, record and present the history and devlopment of the cement industry. There are also large collections relating to the domestic, agricultural, leisure, communications and transport history of the area. An extensive photograph collection together with written records relating to the...
The front building of the Museum was originally used as a house dating from 1842. It is the only remaining house building in the CBD area of Port Macquarie from that era.
All artefacts on display show development from convict beginnings to early settlement from the 1840s. Displays at the museum include; a 'street of shops' depicting life as it was in the 1800s and a prize-winning costume collection. The museum has been in operation for over 40 years and is the winner of awards for best museum.More than 20,000 items collected over a period of 40 years. Artefacts from all aspects of Port...
The museum celebrates the history of one of NSW's most significant local mines. Its focus is on the Richmond Main Colliery, the Brown family and John Brown who established the mine, and the union/social history associated with the mine from its inception in the early 1900s to 1967 when it closed. The buildings on the site give the park a unique atmosphere and are in varying states of preservation. The Richmond Vale Railway Museum is also on site and offers regular steam train rides from Richmond Main to Pelaw MainThe museum is a display on the history of the Richmond Main Colliery....
The Museum building dates back to C1871 when James Campbell Duff built a general store. The building is the oldest commercial premises in Wingham.Local History as seen in photos, farm equipment, hospital equipment, home life, education, good living, music and wartime. Also a collection of Local and Family History Archives.
The Turkish Bath Museum, having been built in the 1880's by Richard Wynne, a founder of Mt Wilson and the benefactor for the Wynne Art Prize for Landscape and Sculpture, is situated on a hill facing north overlooking the Blue Mountains National Park and is part of the heritage estate of 'Wynstay' which is listed on the State Heritage Register. The Museum is also on the National Heritage register. Now partly conserved, it is a stylish building with beautifully stained and hand painted glass windows, polychrome brick work, Italianate decoration and an elaborate turret. Although there is only...
The Museum of the Riverina has two impressive sites. The first is situated in the former Historic Council Chambers, built in 1881, and converted in 1998 to function as a museum facility. This site is used as a meeting venue - in the former chamber - and as a venue for hosting a regular program of travelling exhibitions.

The second site, adjacent to the Botanic Gardens, was formerly run by the Wagga Wagga & District Historical Society, and opened in 1965. The site was renovated and reopened in September 2001 and contains internal exhibitions and a number of outbuildings. The...
The Blue Mountains Historical Society's premises are on the site of a 50 acre grant of land to John McLaughlin, a Sydney solicitor and member of the Legislative Council in 1879. This historic cottage, "Tarella", which was built by him in 1890, is the oldest cottage on the northern side of Wentworth Falls. The cottage rooms are set up in the period of the early 1900s with many items belonging to the McLaughlin family, who were the sole owners prior to the BMHS ownership in 1988.

The modern premises consist of the Research Centre, which holds over 10,000 local records of...
Nine buildings housing items of historical interest to Walcha and the surrounding district. There is the Museum, Original Pioneer Cottage, Wool Museum, Tiger Moth Aeroplane Hangar. Walcha is situated on the Southern New England Tablelands and was discovered in 1818 and settled from 1832 - 1839. The local history centre houses an extensive collection of maps, books, ledgers, photographs and memorabilia about Walcha and the surrounding districts.Local community archival records and photographs, clothing collection, small Aboriginal artefact collection and Dendroglyph plus pioneer and...
The Winton and District Historical Society have operated the Qantilda Museum since 1972. The members of the society are volunteers who donate their time to help educate people about the pioneers who built the outback. During the 28 year existence of the historical society a huge collection of outback memorabilia and artworks have been accumulated, documented and set out in such a way as to educate people on the livelihood of the aboriginal inhabitants and, the livelihood of the districts settlers and their descendants. A reading room, which is frequently updated, provides an immense...
The Historical Society of Cairns was formed by the School of Arts Committee in 1958 to study and record the history of Far North Queensland. It has fulfilled these aims admirably. Its publication program includes books such as Photographic Memories, Establishment Trinity Bay, Cairns Range Railway and Cairns Mulgrave Tramway, as well as several minor booklets and 485 monthly bulletins. The current membership of the Society is over 390 and growing. The Society has been housed in the School of Arts Building since its inception and is run by a dedicated group of voluntary workers and office...

Pages