Ballarat Tramway Museum

The museum is accredited under the Victorian Museum Accreditation Program. It operates the original Ballarat Vintage Tramway system within the Botanical Gardens Reserve. Its aims are to conserve, display and maintain the various tramway artifacts in order to create a living reminder of Ballarat's past. The collection consists of 16 trams, some of which operate over 1.31km of track along Wendouree Parade. A display and sales area are located at the depot, which also houses the museum's archives and collection. Access to the collection can be arranged during opening hours. School charters with an educational program document are available by arrangement. The tram collection consists of an 1887 horse tram (No.1), an Electric Supply Co. of Victoria tramcar built in 1905, including the saloon portion of a Sydney cable tram trailer built in 1892, eleven State Electricity Commission trams, all of which commenced their operating lives in Melbourne between 1912 and 1918 and three Melbourne tramcars of 1930's vintage. The tramcars are presented in the various operating colour scheme. Another historic vehicle is the overhead service truck, which is built on a 1948 Bedford chassis and operated in Sydney until 1961.

Address: 
Wendouree Parade, Botanic Gardens, Ballarat, VIC
Tel: 
0353341580
Hours: 
Weekends, Public & School Holidays 12:00noon - 5:00pm.
Admission: 
Adults $2, children $1, pensioners $1
Facilities: 
Car and bus parking, picnic area, sales outlet, guided tours, special membership, magazine/newsletter, display area, workshop
Collection: 
16 Tramcars, 2500 other items. Prime items are the tramcars. Also associated equipment, photographs and documentation of tram operations in Ballarat 1887-1971 and of museum. Also small collections of photographs and some documents of Bendigo & Geelong and Melbourne tramways.
Share

Items

Tramcar

Electric Tramcar

Electric Tramcar
Creator:
Duncan and Fraser
Description:
Maximum traction trucks (2), bogie tram with drop ends and centre combination. Internal sliding doors (4 No), 4 drivers doors, 6 passenger doors (3 each side), 2 trolley poles, air braked.
Date:
1913
Item Id Number:
15

Built in 1913 by Duncan and Fraser Ltd. For the Prahan and Malvern Tramways Trust and entered service as their 35. Retained this number when classed "C" by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board. Sold to the State Electricity Commission of Victoria in 1951 for use in Ballarat and renumbered 40. The tramcar was the last to carry fare-paying passengers in Ballarat on 19th September 1971. Donated to the museum by the SEC in 1971. Image by Chriss Wurr, from booklet "Ballarat's Heritage Trammway".

Tramcar

Electric Tramcar

Electric Tramcar
Creator:
Duncan and Fraser
Description:
Single truck (4 wheels), drop ends, modified California Combination, paneled sides, 4 external doors, 2 internal doors, longitudinal seats, air braked. Numbered No.33
Date:
1917 built
Item Id Number:
12

Built in 1917 by Duncan and Fraser Ltd. for the Hawthorn Tramways Trust. Delivered in 1918 but transferred, without entering service to the Footscray Tramways Trust in 1919, who in turn were taken over by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board in 1920. Classed "M" and numbered 189 by the Board. Purchased by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria in 1935 and converted for service in Ballarat as tram number 33. The tramcar was acquired by the Hamilton Pastoral Museum when the Ballarat system closed in 1971. Held there until obtained by the museum in 1977. Placed back in service by the museum as an operational exhibit. Image by William F. Scott, from booklet "Ballarat's Heritage Tramway".

Tramcar

Electric Tramcar

Electric Tramcar
Creator:
Duncan and Fraser
Description:
Single truck (4 wheel) straight sill combination tramcar with open ends closed centre saloon, longitudinal seats. Centre section originally an 1892 Sydney cable car trailer (No.18 North Sydney). No mechanical equipment of the 1905 tram has survived. Numbered No.12.
Date:
1905
Item Id Number:
3

The central saloon of this tramcar was built in 1892 as saloon cable car trailer number 18 for the NSW Government Tramways North Sydney cable tramway. One of 12 similar trailers purchased by the Electric Supply Co. of Victoria Ltd. in 1905. Rebuilt as an electric single-truck California combination tramcar by Duncan and Fraser Ltd. Converted to one-man operation in 1913. Withdrawn by 1935 and became a home extension. Retrieved in 1990 when the home and its land were purchased in connection with constructional works for the Ballarat Bypass freeway. The tram is currently under reconstruction to operating condition as one od the original Ballarat electric tramcars. Imae by VicRoads, from booklet "Ballarat's Heritage Tramway".

Tram

Horse Tram

Horse Tram
Creator:
Duncan and Fraser
Description:
Four wheel double deck, single saloon horse drawn tramcar fitted with longitudinal seats, sliding doors. Wooden framed, with metal dash panels, spiral staircases, cast iron wheels and is handbaked. Numbered No.1.
Date:
1887 built
Item Id Number:
1

Built in 1887 by Duncan and Fraser Ltd. For the Ballarat Tramway Company Ltd. As a double-decker horse tram. One of eight tramcars, which ran as trailers behind electric trams at time of heavy patronage, after the takeover and conversion of the horse lines by the Electric Supply Company of Victoria in 1905. Withdrawn in the late 1920's when the bodyshell became a residential outbuilding in Ballarat, until retrieved in 1985. The body was reconstructed to its original form and placed on a modified Melbourne saloon cable tram truck (wheel set). Image by William F.Scott, from booklet "Ballarat's HeritageTramway".

Bag

Leather Money Bag for Ticket Selling

Creator:
Unknown
Description:
Leather bag with outside pocket (for ticket wallet) with metal strips on openable section, fitted with push button catch, four coin and note compartment inside and adjustable shoulder strap. Has been fitted with a coin dispenser (screw and bolted on) for six different types of coins - 50c, 20c, 10, 5c, 2c, and !c. Coin holder is plastic, white top with red coin bases and metal springs. Bag sewn with some rivets. On rear of bag, at top, stitching has been redone using copper wire.
Date:
used until 1971

The bag was issued to Dave Kellet of Wendouree. Ballarat tram crew number 44. Dave was a motorman (driver, who when working trams also sold tickets) and later on became an inspector with the State Electricity Commission operated Ballarat Tramways. The item was donated to the museum by D. Kellet in March 1995. Represents part of the non-tramcar equipment held by the museum, in that it shows how the money was held for tickets sold on the tram and the type of bag carried by crews.