House Museum

Hartley Street School was opened in 1930 as a small two-roomed school. It was extended in 1940 by an additional room and verandah, and in 1945 an octagonal room and classroom were added. The National Trust occupies the most recent section, which houses the Trust office, library, shop and School Museum.Less than 100 items, estimated 6,000 photographs

The Residency at Alice Springs was constructed as the home of the Government Resident of Central Australia between 1926 and 1929. Today it houses displays on the European history of Central Australia and the events that changed its past.
Tuxworth-Fullwood House is the headquarters of the Tennant Creek National Trust. This property, constructed in 1942 by the Australian Military Forces as 55 Army Camp Hospital, is also a former outpatients clinic for the Tennant Creek district. Displays, including a diorama of a miners camp, focus on settlement, mining and development of the region. Outdoor displays include a police cell, C1930s, and a mine site. An extensive archive houses the Tuxworth and Fullwood collections relating to local history.
The house originally constructed as an Officer's Mess in 1942, is a classic example of bush technology utilising bush timber, corrugated iron and flywire. An outstanding feature of the property is its garden, shaded by huge mango trees. The house is of great heritage importance due to associations with the military occupation during World War II and its use by well known pioneer families. Restoration works were carried out in 1987-88. The display material highlights the involvement of pioneering families and the O'Keeffes in particular, in the post war development of Katherine.
Constructed in1886, when Borroloola was a significant riverport and drover's camp, the property was a police station for fifty years before it became a patrol officer's residence. It is the oldest surviving outpost police station in the Northern Territory.The collection represents a comprehensive history of the European Establishment in the Gulf Region. The branch is presently looking to develop the collection by highlighting the Indigenous perspective on the region.
The precinct consists of four houses built in 1938-39 as part of a housing scheme for high-ranking public servants. The four houses are the last of their kind in-situ and are prime examples of pre World War II architecture. Burnett House, named after the architect B.C.G. Burnett, is home for the Trust headquarters. As the Department of Works' architect, Burnett designed the houses at the precinct and many other notable buildings in the Northern Territory. He was responsible for establishing a regional architectural style. The precinct highlights tropical architecture pre WWII and the various...