Eskbank House

The house, built from local sandstone in 1842 for Thomas Brown, the man who first established the coal industry in Lithgow, stands in a hectare of beautiful lawns and gardens. The four front rooms have been preserved much as they were in Thomas Brown's day, and contain some beautiful early Victorian furniture. Also displayed are many fine exhibits of the early history of the district, a feature being an excellent display of Lithgow pottery and artefacts from the pottery works. The covered courtyard at the rear is used as a museum and exhibits include a Hansom cab and a Pennyfarthing bicycle. The locomotive "Possum", which was used at the Lithgow Blast Furnace, is displayed in the grounds of the museum.

Address: 
Corner Inch and Bennett Street, Lithgow, NSW
Tel: 
0263513557
Hours: 
10am-4pm Thu-Mon
Admission: 
$2
Facilities: 
Toilets, shop
Collection: 
Estimated 2,000 items
Share