Historic Buildings

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Schoolhouse was built in the early 1840s and operated continuously until 1880 and from 1895 to 1907. The Museum consists of the original schoolroom and five other rooms used as a home for the school Master and his family. In addition to the furnishings and artefacts of the school and the schoolhouse, the Museum has a collection of photographs on display of Canberra in the 19th and early 20th centuries and a collection of objects relating to the history of St John's Church and other churches of the district.approximately 600 items including up to 200 photographs.
Blundell's Cottage was built in 1860 to accommodate skilled workers on the Duntroon Estate. It remains the only such building in the Parliamentry Triangle. Furnished to depict turn-of-the-century rural life, the cottage provides an intriguing contrast to modern Canberra. Visitors gain an insight into the Limestone Plains before it was chosen as the site for the National Capital. Education program designed for ages 8 to 11.The cottage collection comprises less than 700 objects, the majority of which are on display. The focus is domestic and rural equipment from the period 1890-1910.
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
Lanyon is an historic pastoral property nestled in a valley, south of Canberra, on the banks of the Murrumbidgee river. Visitors to the property are first greeted by the sight of grazing livestock and will discover the main house situated amongst a variety of productive and leisure gardens. The main house dates from 1859 and has been restored and furnished to reflect the lifestyle of its past occupants. Nearby farm buildings, some built by convict labour in the 1830s and 1840s tell stories of Lanyon's workers through displays and exhibitions.Lanyon is itself a collection of buildings,...
The museum complex is made up of a cottage built by the first Mayor of Tamworth in 1875 adjacent to a vertical slab shepherd's hut (ca1845), both on their original sites. The Mayor was Philip Gidley King, superintendent of the Peel River Land and Mineral Company (also at times known as the Australian Agricultural Co). King was the great grandson of the third Governor of New South Wales of the same name. Both buildings have been restored and conserved and furnished circa 1890s. They display memorabilia and bric-a-brac of historical interest in a garden setting.4,000 items

The village of Carcoar was founded circa 1836 and remains almost completely intact, untouched by the twentieth century. The Carcoar Historical Society are trustees for the Court House (built 1882). They also operate guided tours of the village and run Stoke Stable Museum which houses artefacts from the local area including a collection of horse-drawn vehicles. The Society also conducts local family history research.

Closed in 1969 as an official teaching establishment, the 1908 weatherboard teacher's residence and one-teacher schoolhouse set in 10 acres of recreation grounds, were restored as a Bicentennial project and the museum was subsequently opened in November 1988. The school site was originally established in 1869. The present school, the second to be built on the site, is fully functional and seats 30 plus primary school age children. Pens, ink, project sheets and teachers' aids are available for use. The school houses a large collection of early kindergarten and primary school text books and...
Gledswood Farm Museum is an attraction of Gledswood Homestead, itself a tourist destination and heritage attraction. The museum is located in the granary of the coach house.422 artefacts, 196 photographs
Splendidly located on Sydney Harbour, Vaucluse House is nestled in a 19th century estate with a kitchen wing, stables and outbuildings. It is surrounded by 27 acres of gardens and grounds. The home of William Charles Wentworth, father of the Australian Constitution, his wife Sarah and family from 1827-1853, Vaucluse House depicts the social aspirations and lifestyles of the Wentworths and of the servants who lived and worked there.The interiors include original Wentworth pieces together with furniture, furnishings and collections of the early to mid 19th century.
Bishop's Lodge was built in 1889 for the Anglican Bishop of Riverina. It is an iron house, built with great technical innovation for the climate and soils of the Western Riverina. It is set in a late nineteenth century garden and reflects the social, cultural and religious history of its inhabitants over the past century.
The Conservation Resource Centre records the history of houses, furnishings and gardens in New South Wales. It provides information, original source material and specialist services relating to domestic design history and building conservation. The research library contains and important collection of architectural and furnishing pattern books, department store and trade catalogues, journals, pamphlets, charts and archival material, as well as reference books and current periodicals. The reference collection contains artefacts from New South Wales houses, including wallpapers, soft...
This restored Court House built in 1877 houses a collection of historic photos of Stroud and district. It also displays information on the formation of the Australian Agricultural Company in London in 1824, the farm grant of 500,000 acres on the Port Stephen estate and local and family history.
This Scottish Baronial Style Mansion was built in the late 1880's by James Ewan. Glenleigh is said to be the finest example of Victorian interiors with stencilling of some degree in each room. Ceilings in the main rooms were specially painted by Italian artists to fit in with the character of the individual room.
Society of 40 persons dedicated to restoration of 1860's Hargraves Courthouse complex. Large triple solid brick courthouse and living quarters, semi attached via enclosed walkway, vertical iron bark slab kitchen (now fully restored), detached vertical slab laundry and large separate horizontal slab stables building. An 1860's public toilet is expected to be operational later in 2002. Hargraves is the site of the first underground gold mine in Australia, founded 1854.In addition to the buildings described above, the society has amassed a large collection of old photographs depicting the...
Local museum with over 4,000 photographs and several books on the Hills District for purchase. The museum conducts local area tours for adults and children. Guest speakers are available. Research facilities for local and family history are also available.2,000 items, 4,000 photographs. Tool collection very good - complete set of wood working tools.
The entry to the Lachlan Historical Village is the Trigilana Wool Shed. After crossing a suspension bridge, visitors can view the fifty five buildings which comprise the village, including stores, authentic homesteads, a bank, a school, the gaol and a gold mining area. Special features include Henry Lawson's childhood home, the home of bushranger Ben Hall and a medical hall with a collection of over 2,000 apothecary items.20,000 items, 500 photographs
The house, built from local sandstone in 1842 for Thomas Brown, the man who first established the coal industry in Lithgow, stands in a hectare of beautiful lawns and gardens. The four front rooms have been preserved much as they were in Thomas Brown's day, and contain some beautiful early Victorian furniture. Also displayed are many fine exhibits of the early history of the district, a feature being an excellent display of Lithgow pottery and artefacts from the pottery works. The covered courtyard at the rear is used as a museum and exhibits include a Hansom cab and a Pennyfarthing...
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
The Museum collection is housed in a building of local stone, listed on the Register of National Estate and comprising a schoolmaster's residence and attached schoolroom (c.1873). The display highlights the history of the Merimbula-Pambula area & identifies some well known local individuals, such as Syms Covington assistant to Charles Darwin, William Mckell who was later Governor General of Australia.500 items plus estimated 600 photographs. Photographic displays, artefacts and business records relating to early local industries and families e.g. The Maizena factory and the Munn family,...

Pages