Cape Byron Headland Reserve Trust

The Cape Byron Trust manages the Cape Byron Headland Reserve, a NPWS State Recreation Area. This reserve contains a 100-year-old lighthouse and lightkeepers' cottages, an Aboriginal midden site over 1000 years old and significant strands of littoral rainforest.

Address: 
Cape Byron Reserve, Byron Bay, NSW
Tel: 
0266858565
Hours: 
8.00 am - 5.30 pm (EST), 8.00am - 7.30pm (DLST)
Admission: 
Free for pedestrians, $4.00 car parking, $2.00 motorbikes, extra for coaches.
Facilities: 
Library, shop; Welcome Service; Tours and Education Programs.
Collection: 
The collection contains regional maritime archives of the Northern Rivers of NSW, including an 1889 "Red Sector" light.
Share

Items

Lighthouse

Cape Byron lighthouse

Description:
The lighthouse was constructed in 1901, and turned 100 years old on December 1st 2001.
Date:
1901

Lighthouse Keepers' Cottage

Description:
Head keeper's cottage, constructed in 1901, used by the head keeper and family as a place of residence until 1988. It has since been coverted into interpretive display rooms.
Date:
1901

Maritime museum

Creator:
Cape Byron Trust
Description:
A Maritime Museum was opened displaying a number of original maritime objects. Includes the original "Red Sector Light" made by Chance Brothers of Birmingham in 1889.