The Connellan Hangar and the Kookaburra Memorial

The historic hangar was purchase in pre-fabricated form from the Sydney Williams Company in 1939 by prominent local aviation figure Eddy Connellan. It was constructed at the town Aerodrome in Alice Springs by the staff of Connellan Airways, and various extensions were added prior to the Aerodrome's closing in 1968. In 1979 the Central Australian Aviation Museum Society extensively restored the building with funds from the Northern Territory Government.
The Memorial is dedicated to the memory of Keith Anderson and Bob Hitchcock who perished after the "Kookaburra" made a forced landing in the Tanami Desert on the 10th April 1929 while on their way to search for Charles Kingsford Smith and Charles Ulm. Found fourteen days later, the wreck was recovered in 1978 and the Memorial opened in 1982.

Address: 
Memorial Avenue, Alice Springs, NT
Tel: 
0889515335
Hours: 
9:00 to 5:00 Mon - Fri, 10:00 to 5:00 Sat - Sun
Admission: 
Free
Facilities: 
Wheelchair access
Collection: 
N/A
Share