Clothing, Fashion, Costume

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Schoolhouse was built in the early 1840s and operated continuously until 1880 and from 1895 to 1907. The Museum consists of the original schoolroom and five other rooms used as a home for the school Master and his family. In addition to the furnishings and artefacts of the school and the schoolhouse, the Museum has a collection of photographs on display of Canberra in the 19th and early 20th centuries and a collection of objects relating to the history of St John's Church and other churches of the district.approximately 600 items including up to 200 photographs.
The National Gallery of Australia is home to the nation's collection of art and has works drawn from every branch of the visual arts. The core of the collection is the Australia Collection which includes works by Roberts, Streeton, Condor, Boyd and Nolan. The International Collection parallels the Gallery's holdings of Australian art over the past two hundred years. It represents the major schools and movements in art from 1850 to the present. Other collections include Aboriginal Art comprising selections of traditional bark paintings through to contemporary works and Asian Art, including...
A vibrant place in the heart of the city, Canberra Museum and Gallery (CMAG) celebrates the region's social history and visual arts with dynamic exhibitions and unique community programs and events. Working in partnership with the community to celebrate our rich and diverse cultural heritage, CMAG also features the permanent exhibition, 'Reflecting Canberra'.Collection has only been developing since 1996 (therefore it is small). Visual arts and social history of Canberra and region in particular, local history and that which explores nexus between local and national. Australians often forget...
Blundell's Cottage was built in 1860 to accommodate skilled workers on the Duntroon Estate. It remains the only such building in the Parliamentry Triangle. Furnished to depict turn-of-the-century rural life, the cottage provides an intriguing contrast to modern Canberra. Visitors gain an insight into the Limestone Plains before it was chosen as the site for the National Capital. Education program designed for ages 8 to 11.The cottage collection comprises less than 700 objects, the majority of which are on display. The focus is domestic and rural equipment from the period 1890-1910.
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
A 1901 Federation style house and attached annexe, furnished in pre-1900 period. The annexe houses the Society's local and family history section. This includes photographs, a local library and all Grafton newspapers since 1859. The collection also includes local artefacts, memorabilia and documentation of early Grafton.Estimated 5,000 items and 10,000 photographs, plus 800 local history reference books in the library
New South Wales' leading non-metropolitan museum is housed in a converted brewery building, built in 1876. We provide permanent exhibitions on local themes (First World War, the 1989 earthquake, sport and Aboriginal people of the Hunter) together with a busy and varied touring exhibition schedule. During school holidays we often provide regular science shows on varying themes. Guided tours of the exhibits can be booked through the Museum Education Department.The collections concentrate on, but are not exclusively centred around, local, natural, social, domestic or industrial material and are...
The museum complex is made up of a cottage built by the first Mayor of Tamworth in 1875 adjacent to a vertical slab shepherd's hut (ca1845), both on their original sites. The Mayor was Philip Gidley King, superintendent of the Peel River Land and Mineral Company (also at times known as the Australian Agricultural Co). King was the great grandson of the third Governor of New South Wales of the same name. Both buildings have been restored and conserved and furnished circa 1890s. They display memorabilia and bric-a-brac of historical interest in a garden setting.4,000 items
The museum, which is 100 years old, is weatherboard with a corrugated iron roof. The collection includes the MacCarthur Cloak (c1816), a world wide shell collection, 1000 years of monarchy, snow shoe and wooden skis from Scott's expedition, a pictorial history of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, historic clothing and a Telstra display.Old house full of local history. Farming machinery, war memorabilia, photographs, shells.
Designed by world renowned Australian architect Glen Murcutt, the building in which this museum is housed is considered to be the first Australian building. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from the early time of the Aborigines to the present day. It is also a cultural museum, and includes collections on ships and shipping, telecommunications, agriculture, music, sports, leisure and entertainment, photographs, boots and shoes. A furnished settler's cottage is adjacent to the main building.Approximately 10,000 items. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from...
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The museum, originally the Post Office Hotel, is of slab construction, with a puddled iron roof. Built in 1860, it was occupied continuously until 1970, (as a private home since World War I). The museum is furnished as a private home and features extensive photo and gem-rock collections. Other buildings in the grounds include a school and a blacksmith shop.2,000 items; 2,000 photos; 2,000 gems and minerals
This museum documents the history of Wyalong and West Wyalong. Its displays feature early rural machinery, historic photos, colonial household furniture, a mineral, fossil and bottle collection, extensive archives, period costumes, a silver and china collection, war memorabilia and musical exhibits. The museum is housed in a colonial cottage (c.1902).5,000 items; 2,000 photographs
We promote the preservation of the historic Yaralla estate, and the awareness of historic buildings and sites in our area. We also aim to preserve items from the past showing the differences between life in the old days and the present. Additionally, we gather and preserve information from past to present pertaining to our area.Household items, clothing, toys, office equipment, the first motor mower, large family tree from a first fleeter, tools etc
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
The Headland Museum at Nambucca Heads is a small, uncluttered Museum with a large photographic display depicting the early days of timber and shipping in the area. Some fine pieces of furniture, china, and ceramics are housed in the Museum, as well as craft, kitchenalia and farming implements. Aboriginal artefacts are featured, including a genuine "King" plate. Records of shipwrecks on the Nambucca are available, as well as of general shipbuilding including the "Royal Tar". Early mill owners are documented and a good collection of timber working tools is on display. The...
Built with convict labour in 1836-1840, Henry Kendall Cottage was once the home of pioneer poet Henry Kendall. One room contains some of his possessions. The remaining rooms are furnished as an old cottage. An historical museum displays a wide variety of artefacts (eg domestic items, musical instruments) A slab shed features displays on early industries and there is also a shed exhibiting farm implements.. Other features include a replica 2 seater pit toilet and a slab wash-house.
Local museum with over 4,000 photographs and several books on the Hills District for purchase. The museum conducts local area tours for adults and children. Guest speakers are available. Research facilities for local and family history are also available.2,000 items, 4,000 photographs. Tool collection very good - complete set of wood working tools.
A small social history museum designed to show primary school students what life was like in Hornsby Shire when their grandparents were children. Set in the late 1930s, there is a pre-electric kitchen, corner stove, electrified laundry/bathroom with chip heater and a schoolroom, as well as a pictorial history of the development of the Shire and small changing displays. As part of the educational program, school groups can wash socks and play old fashioned school yard games in the park surrounding the museum. The museum also works well with nursing home and Alzheimers day care groups. Its...

Pages