Communications

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
Located in National Triangle, minutes from the city and other major attractions. Australia's largest interactive science centre with over 200 hands-on exhibits. Specifically catering for families and offers good value for money. Spend a couple of hours or an entire day. Free parking.6 large galleries with themed exhibitions that are constantly changing to keep up-to-date with current topics. All exhibits are hands-on and have a strong educational focus.
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
A 1901 Federation style house and attached annexe, furnished in pre-1900 period. The annexe houses the Society's local and family history section. This includes photographs, a local library and all Grafton newspapers since 1859. The collection also includes local artefacts, memorabilia and documentation of early Grafton.Estimated 5,000 items and 10,000 photographs, plus 800 local history reference books in the library
New South Wales' leading non-metropolitan museum is housed in a converted brewery building, built in 1876. We provide permanent exhibitions on local themes (First World War, the 1989 earthquake, sport and Aboriginal people of the Hunter) together with a busy and varied touring exhibition schedule. During school holidays we often provide regular science shows on varying themes. Guided tours of the exhibits can be booked through the Museum Education Department.The collections concentrate on, but are not exclusively centred around, local, natural, social, domestic or industrial material and are...
The museum, which is 100 years old, is weatherboard with a corrugated iron roof. The collection includes the MacCarthur Cloak (c1816), a world wide shell collection, 1000 years of monarchy, snow shoe and wooden skis from Scott's expedition, a pictorial history of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, historic clothing and a Telstra display.Old house full of local history. Farming machinery, war memorabilia, photographs, shells.
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
The Headland Museum at Nambucca Heads is a small, uncluttered Museum with a large photographic display depicting the early days of timber and shipping in the area. Some fine pieces of furniture, china, and ceramics are housed in the Museum, as well as craft, kitchenalia and farming implements. Aboriginal artefacts are featured, including a genuine "King" plate. Records of shipwrecks on the Nambucca are available, as well as of general shipbuilding including the "Royal Tar". Early mill owners are documented and a good collection of timber working tools is on display. The...
Built with convict labour in 1836-1840, Henry Kendall Cottage was once the home of pioneer poet Henry Kendall. One room contains some of his possessions. The remaining rooms are furnished as an old cottage. An historical museum displays a wide variety of artefacts (eg domestic items, musical instruments) A slab shed features displays on early industries and there is also a shed exhibiting farm implements.. Other features include a replica 2 seater pit toilet and a slab wash-house.
Local museum with over 4,000 photographs and several books on the Hills District for purchase. The museum conducts local area tours for adults and children. Guest speakers are available. Research facilities for local and family history are also available.2,000 items, 4,000 photographs. Tool collection very good - complete set of wood working tools.
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
The Ungarie Museum contains items of historical interest, donated by residents over the years. These include old photographs, bottles, rocks, other small collectibles, farming implements, household equipment and books. Some machinery is displayed in the outside yard.Approximately 600 items listed in catalogue
The Museum features a broad cross-section of photographs, text and memorabilia related to the cultural and natural history of Lord Howe Island from it's discovery in 1788 onwards.
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
The building that houses our collection is over 100 years old and is the oldest building in the main street. It is heritage listed with the national trust and is owned by the Manilla shire council. For many a year a baker's shop, Royce Cottage was originally built for Mr G.H. Royce, who arrived in Manilla in 1884. The restored building now houses a museum, with many rooms furnished as they would have been in the past. Other rooms feature historical artefacts, pictures of pioneers, local history information, radios and gramophones, vintage washing and sewing machines, the sporting...
A truly 'old style' museum with artefacts and images crammed into every available space, including aboriginal artefacts (although most were donated to the new Minjungbal Aboriginal Museum at South Tweed Heads), thunder eggs from Mt.Warning's caldera, relics of the 'cedar-getter' era, farm tools & equipment, militaria, cameras, clothing, bottles, kitchen utensils, photographs, and check out the radio room with its wide range of communications equipment. The museum is run by volunteer curators from the Tweed River Historical Society. Research assistance is available for those investigating...
The Museum is situated in an old stone cottage of 4 rooms, one of the oldest buildings in town, having been built between 1847 and 1856 as a private residence. It was used as a bank by a number of banks from 1871 to the 1900s. It then became a residence again and when the owner died a group of interested people approached the RSL Club for permission to turn the cottage into a museum. It was agreed that a Historical Society be formed and after restoration of the cottage, the Museum was opened in October 1967. It was further restored in 1993 and now houses the Merriwa Tourist Information Centre...
The cells of the former gaol are set up as a folk museum. Exhibits include clothing, telecommunications equipment, kitchen items, hospital equipment, Aboriginal artefacts, bottles and jars, musical instruments, guns and pistols, general artefacts, tools and implements and larger items.Over 3000 items and 7000 photographs
The museum contains an extensive collection of aeronautical items: aircraft engines, a paratroop scooter, Air Force flying and survival articles, badges, insignia and medals from all countries and time periods. The museum also has many uniforms and items of equipment - cameras, compasses, aircraft instrument panels, models of aircraft, ships and tanks, and radio and photographic articles.Armstrong Siddley and cylinder radial aircraft engine, A/S Mamba jet Engine, 3 ejector seats, 2,000 world badges and insignia, medals. 200 plus uniforms, 200 plus helmets, hats and caps. Cameras, Compasses,...

Pages