Merriwa Colonial Museum & Historical Society

Merriwa Colonial Museum & Historical Society

The Museum is situated in an old stone cottage of 4 rooms, one of the oldest buildings in town, having been built between 1847 and 1856 as a private residence. It was used as a bank by a number of banks from 1871 to the 1900s. It then became a residence again and when the owner died a group of interested people approached the RSL Club for permission to turn the cottage into a museum. It was agreed that a Historical Society be formed and after restoration of the cottage, the Museum was opened in October 1967. It was further restored in 1993 and now houses the Merriwa Tourist Information Centre in one front room. The other front room is a bedroom with clothing and furniture displays. The other rooms display china, photographs and local artifacts. There is a ???? with a fireplace, which is unusual for this type of building, in which many household items and tools are displayed.

Address: 
126 Bettington Street, Merriwa NSW 2329, Australia
Tel: 
+61 02 65482607
Fax: +610265482271
Hours: 
10am-3pm
Admission: 
Donation
Facilities: 
Information centre, sales outlet
Collection: 
Local historical papers, household items, clothing, photographs, tools, and some machinery
Share

Items

Phonogram

Edison Phonogram and rolls

Church Organ

Creator:
Organ from church at Turill