Police Station and Courthouse

This 1860s Police Station and Courthouse complex are fine examples of colonial stonemasons' workmanship. The stonework consist of fieldstones (office), bluestone (courthouse), limestone and shingled stables, complete with blinden for windows. The cells have keyed in stonework roofs. Quoins and dressings are of sandstone. The collection consists of memorabilia of former Police Station use; C.J. Dennis ("The Sentimental Bloke" poet); and J. Mellor, stonemason; as well as historic photographs and general archival material.

Address: 
St Vincent Street, Auburn, SA
Tel: 
0888492075
Hours: 
By appointment
Admission: 
50c per person, $12 per coach, National Trust members free
Facilities: 
Guided tours, meals, accommodation and tea rooms nearby, local family history tracing available
Share

Items

Buildings

Police Station and Courthouse Complex

Creator:
Joseph Mellor, Builder 1860
Description:
Fine example of colonial stonework, incorporating field stones, calcrete, blue stone and sandstone in the various buildings.
Date:
1860
Item Id Number:
1

C.J. Dennis collection

The Sentimental Bloke

Creator:
C.J. Dennis, poet
Description:
Early editions of works, pen used to write poetry, self portrait, birth and baptismal records, newspaper cuttings and photographs.
Date:
1876-1996
Item Id Number:
2