Instrumentation

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
Located in National Triangle, minutes from the city and other major attractions. Australia's largest interactive science centre with over 200 hands-on exhibits. Specifically catering for families and offers good value for money. Spend a couple of hours or an entire day. Free parking.6 large galleries with themed exhibitions that are constantly changing to keep up-to-date with current topics. All exhibits are hands-on and have a strong educational focus.
Established in 1931, the Museum's collection was originally based around the skeleton of the killer whale Old Tom, which is well steeped in local folklore. The Museum's prime theme is the whaling industry. The secondary theme is general maritime and fishing while the third interest is the timber industry and local social history.Artefacts relating to shore-based whaling, the timber industry, fishing and shipping, lighthouse, some agriculture and numerous domestic items, natural history specimens (skeletons, minerals, fossils) maritime artefacts (shipwreck relics, navigational equipment,...
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The Museum is situated in an old stone cottage of 4 rooms, one of the oldest buildings in town, having been built between 1847 and 1856 as a private residence. It was used as a bank by a number of banks from 1871 to the 1900s. It then became a residence again and when the owner died a group of interested people approached the RSL Club for permission to turn the cottage into a museum. It was agreed that a Historical Society be formed and after restoration of the cottage, the Museum was opened in October 1967. It was further restored in 1993 and now houses the Merriwa Tourist Information Centre...
The museum contains an extensive collection of aeronautical items: aircraft engines, a paratroop scooter, Air Force flying and survival articles, badges, insignia and medals from all countries and time periods. The museum also has many uniforms and items of equipment - cameras, compasses, aircraft instrument panels, models of aircraft, ships and tanks, and radio and photographic articles.Armstrong Siddley and cylinder radial aircraft engine, A/S Mamba jet Engine, 3 ejector seats, 2,000 world badges and insignia, medals. 200 plus uniforms, 200 plus helmets, hats and caps. Cameras, Compasses,...
The collection consists primarily of scientific and technical instruments and related artefacts, the earliest dating from the early nineteenth century. Some of these items have a provenance relating them to prominent scientists or instrument makers of the past. A few are memorabilia associated with scientific work and events in NSW and beyond. The museum holds some photographs and documents relating to the teaching of chemistry at the Sydney Technical College in the 19th and early 20th centuries.400 scientific objects; 150 scientific trade catalogues
The collection was given to the University of Sydney in 1887 by Sir William John Macleay, and incorporated the natural history and ethnographic collections of three members of the Macleay family. The collections are still of considerable research interest and great historical significance, and have been expanded to include historic scientific instruments and historic photographs. The museum has many nineteenth century features including elegant cedar display cases and an atmosphere of great charm and aesthetic appeal. Temporary exhibitions complement the permanent displays.700,000 insects...
The Newcastle Region Maritime Museum is housed within the grounds of Fort Scratchley. Fine examples of small boats, model ships and maritime artefacts are on display together with exhibits relating to Newcastle's port development over the last two centuries. The Museum has an extensive collection of photographs and paintings. The Maritime Museum holds the annual Newcastle Maritime Festival held on the last weekend in January.30,000 shipping photographs, 5000 maritime artefacts and archival material, 2000 library items
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.
The museum is devoted to the preservation of all manner of items from the railways of New South Wales, including the Dorrigo Branch line. There are currently 57 locomotives, 300 carriages and wagons and thousands of small exhibits. Work continues on preparing the site for the display of trains and carriages. While no date has been determined for the official opening there are plans to have open days when the public will have the opportunity to view the exhibits. Totally volunteer organisation with 700 members, membership details available on request.The largest preserved railway...
The front building of the Museum was originally used as a house dating from 1842. It is the only remaining house building in the CBD area of Port Macquarie from that era.
All artefacts on display show development from convict beginnings to early settlement from the 1840s. Displays at the museum include; a 'street of shops' depicting life as it was in the 1800s and a prize-winning costume collection. The museum has been in operation for over 40 years and is the winner of awards for best museum.More than 20,000 items collected over a period of 40 years. Artefacts from all aspects of Port...
Original telescopes used by John Tebbutt. Two observatory buildings 1879 and 1894. House built in 1845 by the astronomer's father. Old horse stables, Coachman's cottage, now a fifty seat restaurant.30 items
The University of Wollongong Science Centre and Planetarium was established in late 1989 and quickly became the most popular science based excursion venue in the Illawarra. In addition, the Centre has become a major tourist attraction. There are over 120 hands-on exhibits providing a fun interactive learning environment. Close ties with the University and local industry enables the Centre to provide a valuable resource to all members of the community. Those links, along with the only fixed planetarium in New South Wales and regular astronomy nights also allow the Science Centre to provide a...
Museum is part of the Visitors Centre. Montague Island is 7km (5.7 Nautical Miles) off Narooma, and is the largest inshore island on the NSW coast. It is now a nature reserve under control of NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service and is home to the largest sea bird/penguin colonies also possibly the most northerly bull seal "haul out" site of the NSW coast. Montague Island was discovered by the convict transport ship "Surprise" in 1790 and named after George Montague Dunk, Earl of Halifax. Because of its location and importance to shipping, the Government of the day...
Over the past three decades, the department of Biological Sciences has established an impressive teaching collection of zoological specimens and other objects. The Biological Sciences Museum is dedicated to the preservation and curation of this collection. Most exhibits are concerned with the unique Australian native flora and fauna. While these exhibits cover a wide range of topics, they always return to the common theme of evolution, biodiversity and conservation of Australian wildlife.The collection contains some 10, 000 objects. The collection looks at corals and shells, insects, reptiles...
The aim of the Museum of Australian Army Flying is to acquire, restore, maintain and display aircraft, equipment, material and documents relating to Australian Army flying since its inception in 1912. Importance is also placed on preservation of the history of No. 6 Airport Depot RAAF, the original military unit located at Oakey Airfield. Exhibits range from a Bristol Boxkite (the aircraft to see army service) to current aircraft types. Other aircraft on display include Auster, Cessna, Winjeel, Porter, Kiowa and Sioux.24 aircraft, 25 assorted uniforms, approximately 900 other related...
The Beaudesert Historical Society and Information Centre was founded on 11th April, 1961 and has had its headquarters in the Historical Complex situated in Brisbane St. Beaudesert. The building also houses the museum collection. The Pioneer Cottage, originally built in 1875 by a pioneer on his Kerry property, was given to the society by his grandchildren and rebuilt entirely of hand hewn timbers, slats and shingle roof and finished with a four-poster bed, large cedar side-board and numerous articles that portray the life of the early pioneers.

The new museum houses a comprehensive...
In 1994 the Torres Strait Museum displays were transferred from the old Masonic Lodge on John Street to the underground section of historic Green Hill Fort. The Fort was originally intended as a first line of defence for Australia against sea invasions in the 1855 war and World War II. Rooms of the Fort have been dedicated to different themes of display. The Cordite Store houses the Wanetta Collection - a collection of gifts, souvenirs and collectables put together by Mr Reg Hockings Snr. earlier this century. The defence display is being developed in the Powder Magazine. The Lamp Room...
Exhibits at the Chillagoe Historical Centre include a pictorial history of local smelting operations (1901-1943), large mineral samples and a detailed bottle collection, a butterfly collection, old coins and notes, old mining machinery, an entrance area paved with local marble, projectors from a local theatre, local pioneering family histories, Aboriginal and New Guinea artefacts, and old dentist's chair and cameras.Estimated 1,000 items

Pages