Manufacturing

The museum is housed in the Hog Bay School building, the third school to be built on the site (1922). The first room you enter is the Maritime Room, this displays the history and shipwrecks of Kangaroo Island. The School Porch houses the displays of schooling. The Schoolroom has displays on Early Settlers, including aboriginal women, agriculture, industry, communications and social and domestic life are portrayed.2,000 items, 700 photographs. The displays are organised in such a way that the visitor quickly gains a feel for the history of Kangaroo Island, especially maritime, education, early...
The lighthouse stood for 100 years offshore on a reef, 5 miles at sea. When it became obsolete it was dismantled and brought ashore and re-erected in Kingston. The lighthouse is furnished with some of the original furniture and contains all the lantern room equipment. Although not used as a lighthouse , it is still in working order.The height of the lighthouse is 134 feet and one of the few lighthouses with living quarters as part of the structure. Some original furnishings remain in the lighthouse
Wheel righting, forge welding and blacksmithing were undertaken in this workshop by the Excell family. The workshop is complete in its original state from the 1905 and 1935 era. Objects in the workshop include an original D.C welder, forge, wheelwright section, upsetting machine, and the Brattenizing Plough, patented and built by Excell in Tumby Bay and widely used in South Australia.200 items
A magnificent Northern French Romanesque building. Built in 1866 as the Baptist Church with two floors. This is complimented by an extensive undercover display area for the agricultural, industrial and transport history of Kapunda. Bagot's Fortune is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, the Kapunda Museum.Extensive collection of the social, commercial, industrial and agricultural history of Kapunda.
Bluey Blundstone's Blacksmith shop was built in 1865 in Melrose, South Australia. Melrose is the oldest town in the Flinders Ranges, first settled with the discovery of copper in 1846. This is just 10 years after South Australia was proclaimed a state. For some time Melrose was the most Northerly judicial, commercial, educational, religious and postal centre, serving the huge expanse known as 'The Far North'. The substantial size, architectural style and unique double forge reflect the importance of Blueys to these local and regional activities. The entire complex has been lovingly and...
Our museums goal is to tell the story of ordinary Australian motoring. We are a social history museum with a dynamic exhibition and events program. A scenic drive through the Adelaide hills leads to the small town of Birdwood. Our 3,500 sq metres of pavilions display a collection and interpretation that appeals to the general public as well as enthusiasts.
The National Motor Museum is a Museum of the History Trust of South Australia.The National Motor Museum has the largest collection of motor vehicles of any Museum in the Southern hemisphere. The collection is comprised of cars, trucks...
Oldest 2 story commercial premises, Built 1875. Underground Bakehouse. Old grocery Shop, Victoriana displays, music room, kitchen, bedroom. Dressmaking establishment, photo gallery, laundry/bathroom. Ironmongery room. Currently establishing large display of items from horse drawn era, in custom built shed, everything is represented of local history, books, histories, photo's and artefacts, outside display of farming equipment, tractors, wagons ect.Local archives and photos, farming machinery from the past, furniture, china, glass, musical instruments, household items each area has a...
The Military Vehicle Collectors Society of South Australia Inc was formed in 1976, and opened their Museum in 1993. The Society is dedicated to the preservation of Australian military vehicles, not as a para-military group, but as one preserving a part of the military aspect of Australia's heritage. There is an emphasis on South Australian designed, manufactured or built vehicles thereby highlighting those State heritage aspects for cultural, research and education purposes. The Museum displays approximately 50 vehicles, many of which are used in parades, including the ANZAC Day parade,...
A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives
A railway museum with working and static exhibits. Has several kilometres of track along the Don River and operates daily passenger trains powered by steam locomotives from the Museum to the Don Heads. It has a large and varied collection of steam locomotives and passenger carriages dating from 1869 to 1951.
History and story of whisky making in Tasmania as part of a working distilleryInformative display - active distillery, distilling single malt whisky 7 days a week. Museum contains an original colonial still from midwoods distillery circa 1830
The "Old Court House" was built in 1938 and was used as a Court of Petty Sessions until the 1970's and for Council meetings until 1993. The Bruny History Collection was established in 1988 and the History Room opened in 1997. The History Room provides a venue for the community and visiting public to peruse information on Bruny Island's history with subjects arranged in alphabetical order including Aboriginal History, Convicts, Family Trees, Industries, schools, Wars and many others.The collection contains items of yesteryear, local community archival records and photographs...
Chiltern and District Museum is an historic building built in 1866 which includes district records; shire, cemetery, town and district and library of books dating to 17th Century.6,000+ items. Art, decorative art, cultural heritage, genealogy, historic people, houses - local history, agricultural, clothing, uniforms, gold mining, literature, goldfields library, AW Eustace Art Collection including oil on gum leaf paintings.
Northcote Pottery has been producing terracotta pottery for over one hundred years. The historic site houses a variety of pottery manufacturing business from Australia's largest manufacturer of terracotta garden pots, to small artist studios. The remaining arched brick wood fired kiln has been converted into a potters gallery which exhibits the best of Victorian pottery.
The Italian Historical Society [I.H.S] was established in 1980 to collect, preserve, interpret and foster an understanding of the history and heritage of Italian immigration to Australia. It is the only historical society with this specialization in Australia. The main components of the HIS Collection are the library, the photographic collection, oral histories, letters, documents and official records. Within these collections are the other key sub-categories including diplomatic archives, internment records and newspaper cuttings. The HIS is located symbolically, in the heart of Italian...
A historic bluestone wool store (1872) houses this Museum, which depicts the story of wool in Australia. Themes explore wool in the contexts of agriculture, textiles, manufacturing, science and technology, arts, craft, literature and history. Of special interest are the Axminister Jacquard carpet loom and a sock knitter.
Housed in one of the few remaining examples of early prefabricated building techniques is a collection of 20 horse-drawn vehicles and harnesses recalling transport of the 19th and early 20th centuries.A hearse, built and used in Beechworth, a 1906 fire-cart and a Cobb and Co. coach are highlights of the collection. Many of the vehicles remail as a direct link with Beechworth's past, having been used in the town and neighbouring areas.
Heritage Hill is a unique historic precinct located in the heart of Dandenong featuring three century old buildings and 2 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens. St James Anglican Church (1864); Laurel Lodge (1869); and Benga Oral History Centre and Garden (1936). survive as fine examples of 19th and 20th century architecture and represent the social, cultural and natural history of Dandenong. Through exhibitions and period rooms, visitors can gain an insight into Dandenong's transformation from a rural market town into a bustling, multicultural metropolis.Laurel Lodge and Benga House a...
The Bendigo Gasworks were constructed during 1859-1860 under the direction of engineer Alexander K Smith, and remained in operation until 1973. The site is an internationally significant example of an entire provincial gasworks.
Melbourne Museum aims to inform and inspire visitors.

Melbourne Museum stands adjacent to the historic Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens. Together, they constitute the largest museum complex in the Southern Hemisphere.

Melbourne Museum uses the latest technology and interpretation methods to present educational exhibitions and programs on science and technology, indigenous cultures, the environment, the human mind and body and Australian society.

National icons on display include Phar Lap, Australia's greatest ever racehorse, and CSIRAC (...

Pages