Bruny Island Courthouse History Room

The "Old Court House" was built in 1938 and was used as a Court of Petty Sessions until the 1970's and for Council meetings until 1993. The Bruny History Collection was established in 1988 and the History Room opened in 1997. The History Room provides a venue for the community and visiting public to peruse information on Bruny Island's history with subjects arranged in alphabetical order including Aboriginal History, Convicts, Family Trees, Industries, schools, Wars and many others.

Address: 
Old Courthouse Building and Service Centre, Bruny Island Main Road, Alonnah, Bruny Island, TAS
Tel: 
0362606366
Hours: 
Monday - Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm
Admission: 
Free
Images
Collection: 
The collection contains items of yesteryear, local community archival records and photographs including a comprehensive display of Local Government items and information about Wardens, Clerks, Councillors. There is also information about the stabilisation of St. Peters Church which was undertaken in 2002/3. The Church was built c.1846.
Share

Items

Display Folder

A History of Transport on Bruny Island

A History of Transport on Bruny Island
Creator:
Beverley Davis
Description:
A4 white folder containing over one hundred pages covering the history of land, sea and air transport on Bruny Island including passenger ferry, steamers, sailing vessels and foot bridges. Also includes photographs and newspaper articles.
Date:
1850-2003
Item Id Number:
BIH_00048

Bruny Island, Adventure Bay, Lunawanna, Alonnah, Barnes Bay

Display folder

Quarantine Station

Quarantine Station
Creator:
Kathy Duncombe
Description:
An A4 red display folder containing over 100 pages covering the history of the Quarantine Station in Barnes bay from 1856 to 2003. The information covers the first land grant, the German internment in WW1, and information about the quarantine station.
Date:
1856-2003
Item Id Number:
BIH_00008

North Bruny Island, Bruny Island, Barnes Bay

Display Folder

Properties and Homesteads

Properties and Homesteads
Creator:
Kathy Duncombe
Description:
The folder is an A4 loose leaf folder covering the history of many of the properties and homesteads, the owners and occupiers on Bruny island from 1828 to 2003. This information is arranged by district and has been compiled from a number of primary sources including Surveys, Titles and maps.
Date:
1828 - 2003
Item Id Number:
BIH_00049

Bruny Island, Adventure bay, Alonnah, Lunawanna, Great Bay

Local News Paper

Bruny News

Bruny News
Creator:
Bruny Island Community Association Inc.
Description:
This is an example of a local newsletter with 22 years of continuous publication, produced by volunteer editors with contributions from local residents and organisations which is funded by advertising space. Ongoing features include editorial, council news, business directory and coming events.
Date:
1980-2003
Item Id Number:
BIH_00083

Bruny Island, Tasmania, Australia

Milling Tramways

Slide Track

Slide Track
Creator:
Crisp and gunn Mill Workers
Description:
this tramway is a remarkable engineering feat, built by bushmen. The track follows an abandoned timber-getting tramway constructed in the mid 1940's at an altitude of 200 metres, across a steep, unstable scree slope.
Date:
mid 1940's
Item Id Number:
BIH_00043

Adventure Bay