Beatties Studio

A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.

Address: 
51 Tiger Head Road, Dodges Ferry, TAS
Tel: 
0362658810
Hours: 
By Appointment
Admission: 
Free
Facilities: 
Black and white copies of photographs are available for publications and framed sepia enlargements for hanging.
Collection: 
3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives
Share

Items

Photograph

Elizabeth Street Hobart

Elizabeth Street Hobart
Creator:
J.W. Beattie
Description:
Street scene of Elizabeth Street in Hobart.
Date:
1905
Item Id Number:
710

Photograph

Long Beach, Sandy Bay, Hobart ("Sandy Bay Beach")

Long Beach, Sandy Bay, Hobart ("Sandy Bay Beach")
Creator:
J.W. Beattie
Description:
Photograph of Sandy Bay beach from Sandy Bay Road.
Date:
1895
Item Id Number:
712

Photograph

Port Arthur During Convict Occupation

Port Arthur During Convict Occupation
Creator:
J.W. Beattie
Description:
Photograph of the convict penal settlement during its use, with church in foreground and prison buildings in rear.
Date:
1875
Item Id Number:
371

Photograph

Tasman's Arch

Tasman's Arch
Creator:
J.W. Beattie
Description:
Photograph of a natural feature, Tasman's Peninsula. This photograph was used on early Tasmanian pictorial postage stamps.
Date:
circa 1900
Item Id Number:
33

Photograph

The Haulage, Mt Lyell

The Haulage, Mt Lyell
Creator:
J.W. Beattie
Description:
Scene of the haulage station and tracks at the Mt Lyell Copper Mine, West Coast, b&w photograph.
Date:
circa 1900
Item Id Number:
1105