Mass Media

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
The Ballina Branch of the Richmond-Tweed Regional Library holds a collection of items based on the history of Ballina and surrounding districts. It consists of photographs, maps, newspapers, books and ephemeral items such as programs, invitations and leaflets.400 books, 300 photographs, ephemera, maps, newspapers
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
Built with convict labour in 1836-1840, Henry Kendall Cottage was once the home of pioneer poet Henry Kendall. One room contains some of his possessions. The remaining rooms are furnished as an old cottage. An historical museum displays a wide variety of artefacts (eg domestic items, musical instruments) A slab shed features displays on early industries and there is also a shed exhibiting farm implements.. Other features include a replica 2 seater pit toilet and a slab wash-house.
The entry to the Lachlan Historical Village is the Trigilana Wool Shed. After crossing a suspension bridge, visitors can view the fifty five buildings which comprise the village, including stores, authentic homesteads, a bank, a school, the gaol and a gold mining area. Special features include Henry Lawson's childhood home, the home of bushranger Ben Hall and a medical hall with a collection of over 2,000 apothecary items.20,000 items, 500 photographs
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
A former courthouse building (1869) is the site of a local history museum which focuses on Clarence Town as a terminal of navigation and river port. It's collection encompasses shipbuilding, exploration, maps, documents photographs, memorabilia, household items, timber-getting, agriculture and the history of the settlement of Williams River. In addition to the above, a native cottage garden is in the process of being established, together with a replica pioneer settlers cottage about to be constructed, materials on site, containing names, photographs (where available), and information on...
The cells of the former gaol are set up as a folk museum. Exhibits include clothing, telecommunications equipment, kitchen items, hospital equipment, Aboriginal artefacts, bottles and jars, musical instruments, guns and pistols, general artefacts, tools and implements and larger items.Over 3000 items and 7000 photographs
It is a fine example of a local history museum, well housed in premises attached to the Hunters Hill Town Hall, with objects displayed mainly in glass cabinets. The archives section is unfortunately very small, comprising shelving and steel filing cabinets. Files are kept in archive boxes, on book shelves and in the standard office type filing cabinets. The collection (material objects and ephemera) reflects aspects of local community life and environment. Hunters Hill, sometimes referred to as the "French Village", is a garden suburb of Sydney, where Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers...
The Museum focuses on local history and the community culture of Shellharbour City. Collections include; Aboriginal culture, pioneering industries of dairy farming with ancillary industries of coal mining, tanneries and coach building. The centre point of the museum is a bronze bust of Caroline Chisholm, 'The Emigrants Friend', who settled some 23 families to Shellharbour in 1843.
The 2004 exhibition 'The Built Environment of Shellharbour City', will open 24th April, to coincide with The National Trust 'Heritage Festival'. This exhibition will encompass man made structures such as...

The museum exhibits relate to the town of Murrurundi and the surrounding district. In addition to the exhibits, files are made up of many aspects of the lifestyle and achievements of those who have lived there since 1840 when the town of Murrurundi was first laid out. The twin town of Haydonton was laid out in 1841-42 by Thomas Haydon and was a private town. Files of many families are featured. The Fishburn Room contains a splendid model of HMS Endeavour which was built by Thomas Fishburn and acquired by Captain Cook who refitted it before sailing in it on his voyage of discovery.1500...

A Beau Geste-style fortress structure houses this social history museum. Its emphasis is on military history, with exhibits ranging from a Japanese tank to miniature soldiers. The Museum also features a historic comics section, stamps, hundreds of cameras, rare musical instruments and other items of general and Australian historical interest.
Housed in a 1900s weatherboard school house, the Museum numbers over 4,000 items, representing the rural and coal fields heritage of the region. Its two classrooms still contain original fittings, such as desks and forms, blackboards, and wall maps to retain the character and function of the building. Items displayed range from buttons to pianos and organs. Rare and old books dating from the 1830s are a feature. The collection is typical of any country town, depicting the typical lifestyle of the region from the 1920s.4,000 items, 400 photographs, 100 postcards, 400 books
A small museum with a very comprehensive display of historical photos relevant to Yamba's history, some working models (eg. the lighthouse, the railway which was used to build Yamba's breakwater walls), some artefacts and a large quantity of reading material (newspaper cuttings, historical books etc).850 historical artefacts; 300 books; over 1,000 photographs, plus ten photograph albums and ten volumes of newspaper cuttings
The Museum was formerly the Kandos Methodist Church, a unique building built to an American plan, brought to the town by the manager of NSW Cement, Lime and Coal Co. in 1915.

The Museum has a strong focus on the Cement industry based in this shire. It is possibly the only Museum in the state to collect, record and present the history and devlopment of the cement industry. There are also large collections relating to the domestic, agricultural, leisure, communications and transport history of the area. An extensive photograph collection together with written records relating to the...
Since its opening in 1968, the Gundagai Museum has displayed a wealth of historical memorabilia depicting a life that was both hard and gracious. Special exhibits include Phar Lap's saddlecloth, the shirt worn by Banjo Patterson's Kiley of Kileys Run and the assayer's bowl used by US President Herbert Hoover. The museum also features displays on bushrangers; Melba XV; the famous Gundagai cow; and Aboriginal hero Yarri. Other items in its collection include scaled models of early buildings and historical photographs and documents.Approximately 10,000 items of historical memorabilia
The front building of the Museum was originally used as a house dating from 1842. It is the only remaining house building in the CBD area of Port Macquarie from that era.
All artefacts on display show development from convict beginnings to early settlement from the 1840s. Displays at the museum include; a 'street of shops' depicting life as it was in the 1800s and a prize-winning costume collection. The museum has been in operation for over 40 years and is the winner of awards for best museum.More than 20,000 items collected over a period of 40 years. Artefacts from all aspects of Port...
About 1856 the museum building, originally a hotel, was built by James Mortal a rubble mason. Some of the original stonework can be seen as foundations for the verandah and the kitchen walls. The premises continued as a hotel until 1899 variously known as Golden Fleece Hotel, Tattersall's and the Royal Hotel. From 1899 to 1924 the premise was continuously used by a number of doctors as a surgery and residence. The Molong Historical Society Inc acquired the building in 1970 with the assistance of the Molong Shire Council and opened as the museum in November 1970.estimated 4 000, plus items and...

Pages