Molong Historical Society

About 1856 the museum building, originally a hotel, was built by James Mortal a rubble mason. Some of the original stonework can be seen as foundations for the verandah and the kitchen walls. The premises continued as a hotel until 1899 variously known as Golden Fleece Hotel, Tattersall's and the Royal Hotel. From 1899 to 1924 the premise was continuously used by a number of doctors as a surgery and residence. The Molong Historical Society Inc acquired the building in 1970 with the assistance of the Molong Shire Council and opened as the museum in November 1970.

Address: 
20 Riddell Street, Molong, NSW
Hours: 
Sun 2-5pm, other times on request.
Admission: 
Adults $2, Children 50c
Facilities: 
Restaurant, Wheelchair access, Toilets. "The Molong Historian" History sheets on sale. Research on written request plus a fee (approx. $10).
Collection: 
estimated 4 000, plus items and 2 000 plus photographs (not including special photographic collection of Fairbridge Farm and students).
Share

Items

Chiffonier

French Chiffonier

French Chiffonier
Creator:
Unknown
Description:
Sideboard with mirror on doors of sideboard restored by the society in 1985.
Date:
1880-1890
Item Id Number:
FL004

Wagon

Bennet Wagon

Bennet Wagon
Creator:
Bennet at St Marys, Sydney
Description:
Wagon pulled by six horses. Could carry 60 bags of wheat (about 5 tons), flat top. Donated by Mrs Armstrong of Yullundry.
Date:
Late 19th Century
Item Id Number:
BW003

Photographic Collection

Fairbridge Photographic Collection

Creator:
Old Fairbridgians Record Society
Description:
Photographs depicting the people and their daily routines at Fairbridge Farm in Molong.
Date:
1938-1966
Item Id Number:
FP001

Fountain Water Bottle

Copson Fountain

Creator:
A. Kerrick and Sons
Description:
Container holding 10 litres of water (4 Gallons) with spout and tap, with handle. Could be hung above open fire or placed on stove for hot water.
Date:
Late 19th Century
Item Id Number:
MW002/133-1

Lacework

Bertha Collar and Collection

Creator:
Unknown
Description:
Large white/ cream lace collar to be worn by women over bodice around neck. Handmade now framed.
Date:
1880-1890
Item Id Number:
BC005