Medicine and Health

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The archival collection of Royal College of Nursing, Australia is held in climate controlled facilities off site. Access to the material is by appointment. The collection consists of material relevant to the business and operations of Royal College of Nursing, Australia (RCNA). A small amount of personal material is held relating to personnel who were employees in senior positions or board members.The collection contains organisational business material such as board meeting agendas; minutes and meeting papers; reports; correspondence; photos; certificates and personal memorabilia donated...
A 1901 Federation style house and attached annexe, furnished in pre-1900 period. The annexe houses the Society's local and family history section. This includes photographs, a local library and all Grafton newspapers since 1859. The collection also includes local artefacts, memorabilia and documentation of early Grafton.Estimated 5,000 items and 10,000 photographs, plus 800 local history reference books in the library
Nimbin Museum is a journey through eight rooms in chronological order (Aboriginal, pioneer, and hippy eras) as the visitor follows the rainbow serpent path. One of the strengths of the collection is "hippypernalia". Nimbin is a holy town and this trip is sacred!7,000 items and numerous inbuilt artistic works
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The museum, originally the Post Office Hotel, is of slab construction, with a puddled iron roof. Built in 1860, it was occupied continuously until 1970, (as a private home since World War I). The museum is furnished as a private home and features extensive photo and gem-rock collections. Other buildings in the grounds include a school and a blacksmith shop.2,000 items; 2,000 photos; 2,000 gems and minerals
A small social history museum designed to show primary school students what life was like in Hornsby Shire when their grandparents were children. Set in the late 1930s, there is a pre-electric kitchen, corner stove, electrified laundry/bathroom with chip heater and a schoolroom, as well as a pictorial history of the development of the Shire and small changing displays. As part of the educational program, school groups can wash socks and play old fashioned school yard games in the park surrounding the museum. The museum also works well with nursing home and Alzheimers day care groups. Its...
The entry to the Lachlan Historical Village is the Trigilana Wool Shed. After crossing a suspension bridge, visitors can view the fifty five buildings which comprise the village, including stores, authentic homesteads, a bank, a school, the gaol and a gold mining area. Special features include Henry Lawson's childhood home, the home of bushranger Ben Hall and a medical hall with a collection of over 2,000 apothecary items.20,000 items, 500 photographs
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
The Museum is situated in an old stone cottage of 4 rooms, one of the oldest buildings in town, having been built between 1847 and 1856 as a private residence. It was used as a bank by a number of banks from 1871 to the 1900s. It then became a residence again and when the owner died a group of interested people approached the RSL Club for permission to turn the cottage into a museum. It was agreed that a Historical Society be formed and after restoration of the cottage, the Museum was opened in October 1967. It was further restored in 1993 and now houses the Merriwa Tourist Information Centre...
The Railway Museum is run by a voluntary trust and consists of two acres of land in the centre of Broken Hill. The original stone railway station building of the Silverton Tramway Company of 1905 is full of old records and photos of the company's operations from 1888 until 1970. There are also rolling-stock and locomotives of the era, as well as a hospital museum and mineral collection from the Triple Chance Mine.The station building is packed with photographs, books and records of the Silverton Tramway Co Ltd used in the operation of the private railway company which ran from Broken Hill to...
The museum is housed in The Old Narrabri Gaol which is listed on the National Estate Register and classified by the National Trust. Exhibits are mounted in the cells, exercise yards and outbuildings. They consist mainly of historical items associated with life in the town of Narrabri and surrounding district.100,000+ file reference cards to local people, photographs, local newspapers from late 1800s and on microfilm, World War memorabilia, family history records, and burial records.
The cells of the former gaol are set up as a folk museum. Exhibits include clothing, telecommunications equipment, kitchen items, hospital equipment, Aboriginal artefacts, bottles and jars, musical instruments, guns and pistols, general artefacts, tools and implements and larger items.Over 3000 items and 7000 photographs
It is a fine example of a local history museum, well housed in premises attached to the Hunters Hill Town Hall, with objects displayed mainly in glass cabinets. The archives section is unfortunately very small, comprising shelving and steel filing cabinets. Files are kept in archive boxes, on book shelves and in the standard office type filing cabinets. The collection (material objects and ephemera) reflects aspects of local community life and environment. Hunters Hill, sometimes referred to as the "French Village", is a garden suburb of Sydney, where Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers...
The museum was built in 1872 of bricks made in Brewarrina. In June 1999 the museum will move down the street into the bowling club building, with tourism and information.Approx 1000 items and 400 photos. Items of local history are on display behind the courthouse once used as lock-up keeper's residence and connected to the rear of the courtroom.
The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The Museum of Pathology was founded in 1883 at the University of Sydney. It currently contains about 1600 specimens and is housed in the Blackburn Building. The Museum also contains a vast display of historical medical instruments which have helped develop today's medical technology.1,600 items
The collection was given to the University of Sydney in 1887 by Sir William John Macleay, and incorporated the natural history and ethnographic collections of three members of the Macleay family. The collections are still of considerable research interest and great historical significance, and have been expanded to include historic scientific instruments and historic photographs. The museum has many nineteenth century features including elegant cedar display cases and an atmosphere of great charm and aesthetic appeal. Temporary exhibitions complement the permanent displays.700,000 insects...
Berrima Museum is located in the historic village of Berrima, NSW, mid-way between Sydney and Canberra. The museum is managed and operated by volunteers of Berrima District Historical and Family History Society Inc, founded in 1960. Berrima Museum has been described as one of the best volunteer run museums in New South Wales. Its Mittagong archives contain an extensive collection of the history of the Berrima District, known today as the Wingecarribee Shire. Support material for the museum's displays is sourced from the archives. The museum was established in 1976 following the donation by...
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.

Pages