Sulphide Street Station Railway and Historical Museum

Sulphide Street Station Railway and Historical Museum

The Railway Museum is run by a voluntary trust and consists of two acres of land in the centre of Broken Hill. The original stone railway station building of the Silverton Tramway Company of 1905 is full of old records and photos of the company's operations from 1888 until 1970. There are also rolling-stock and locomotives of the era, as well as a hospital museum and mineral collection from the Triple Chance Mine.

Address: 
Blende Street, Broken Hill, NSW
Tel: 
0880885961
Hours: 
10am-3pm daily
Admission: 
Adults $2.50, children & pensioners $2.00, family $6
Facilities: 
Shop, wheelchair access
Collection: 
The station building is packed with photographs, books and records of the Silverton Tramway Co Ltd used in the operation of the private railway company which ran from Broken Hill to the South Australian border for 82 years. Also on site is the Silver City comet train set, built by NSW Railways in 1937 and which ran between Broken Hill and Parkes for 52 years. STC Loc Mo1-1888.
Share

Items

Steam Locomotive

2-6-0 "y" class loco

2-6-0 "y" class loco
Creator:
Beyer Peacock Manchester England
Description:
"Y" class No1. was the first locomotive purchased by The Silverton Tramway Co Ltd. For use on its main line and shunting.
Item Id Number:
1

The Silverton Tramway Co ltd. Purchased 17 "y" class locomotives from Beyer Peacock they were in use until 1960, weighing 40ton. Tractive effort 16 500Lb. 3'6" gauge length 40.

Steam Locomotive

4-8-2 "W" class loco

4-8-2 "W" class loco
Creator:
Beyer Peacock Manchester England
Description:
The Silverton Tramway Co.Ltd. had 4 of these locomotives built in 1951 for operation on their mainline to South Australia.
Date:
1951

The 4 "w" class locomotives worked the STC main line for 10 years when replaced by diesels. They weighed 97 ton 10 cwt and were 62ft long with tractive effort 21760 lbs, 3'6" gauge.

Rail Passenger Carriage

Tarrawingee Carriage

Tarrawingee Carriage
Creator:
Built but James Martin and Co. for the Silverton Tramway Co. Ltd.
Description:
3'6" gauge four wheeled wooden passenger carriage comprising 3 passenger compartments with wooden form seats.
Date:
1895

This old carriage was bought by the Silverton Tramway Co Ltd. in 1895 to carry passengers on the Tarrawingee line which ran to limestone flux deposits 40 mile North of Broken Hill. It worked attached to the rear of the flux trains until the line closed in 1931. It was the STC accident van until placed in the museum in 1972.

Railway Station Building

Sulphide Street Station

Sulphide Street Station
Creator:
The Silverton Tramway Co. Ltd
Description:
The passenger terminal of the narrow gauge railway.

The stone station building erected in 1905 replaced the original wood and iron structure built in 1888 by the Silverton Tramway Co. Ltd. This was the only railway station in Broken Hill until 1927 when the NSW railway arrived.

Diesel Passenger Train

Silver City Comet Train Set

Silver City Comet Train Set
Creator:
NSW Government Railways
Description:
Diesel powered train comprising power van, first class and second class carriages and dining car.
Date:
1937
Item Id Number:
101

The train was built by NSW Government Railway especially to operate over the lightly laid track between Broken Hill and Parkes and was the first air condition train in NSW.