Van Diemen Light Railway Society Inc.

A railway museum with working and static exhibits including Tasmania's oldest surviving steam locomotive. Trains run on the hour 10am to 4pm on a scenic line along the Don River to Coles Beach, Devonport. A large and varied collection of steam and diesel locomotives and passenger and revenue stock dating from 1869 to 1954. Stations, Signal box, communication equipment and railway memorabilia.

Address: 
Don Road, Don, TAS
Tel: 
0364246335
Hours: 
9:30am - 4:30pm Sunday - Saturday (except Xmas day and Good Friday)
Admission: 
Adults $8, Pensioners $6, Children under 16 $5, Family $20
Collection: 
11 x Steam Locomotives ; 7 x Diesel Locomotives and rail cars ; 26 x Passenger/Guards carriages, (50 +) x wagons and flat tray wagons, Railway cranes, extensive collection of tools, engineering equipment, cranes, railway signalling and communications equipment, Archives, Railway stationery.
Share

Items

Diesel Electric Locomotive

Diesel Electric Bo- Bo Locomotive "X4"

Diesel Electric Bo- Bo Locomotive "X4"
Creator:
English Electric Co. UK
Description:
The end of WWII saw Tasmania review its railway needs resulting in the order of 32 X Class Locomotives. All were in service by 1952. In 1971 X4 was the first X Class Locomotive ti complete 1 million miles (1.609 million Kms) ; Purchased by society in 1988, restored and repaired.
Date:
1947 - 1952
Item Id Number:
Dec 01

Tasmania

Steam Locomotive

CC 523

CC 523
Creator:
Beyer, Peacock & Co Ltd, Manchester, UK
Description:
27 C Class Locomotives entered service with Tasmanian Government Railways 1885-1907 of which CC523 was one. From 1957 onwards C Class Locomotives were withdrawn after more than 50 years sterling service. They hauled mixed goods and passenger trains - in service 2002.
Date:
1885 - 1892
Item Id Number:
BP 04

Tasmania

Steam Locomotive

Dubs 4-8-0 Locomotive Heemskirk

Dubs 4-8-0 Locomotive Heemskirk
Creator:
Dubs & Company, Glasgow, Scotland
Description:
Purchased by Emu Bay Railway Co Ltd (EBR) and entered service on West Coast of Tasmania 29/3/1901. Worked one trains, mixed trains goods and passenger trains until 1960. Also Tasmanian Mainline in WWII years. Locomotive restored to working order for EBR Centenary celebrations 1999. In service 2002.
Date:
1899
Item Id Number:
Dubs 02

Burnic, Zeehan, Guildford Junction

Steam Locomotive

Fowler 0-6-OT Locomotive

Fowler 0-6-OT Locomotive
Creator:
John Fowler and Co, Leeds, UK
Description:
Purchased 1886 by Kiama Municipal Council for quarry tramway, then sold 1889 to Central Railway, Queensland building new railway lines; 1899 purchased by Strahan Marine Board and used to construct breakwater at the Hells Gates, Macquarie Harbour. Stored Hobart 1944-1972 ; Restoration started 1974 in Burnic. Static but to be commissioned in March 2002.
Date:
1886
Item Id Number:
Fowler 01

Kiama NSW, Langtran Qld, Strahan TAS

Steam Locomotive

Dubs 2.4-2T Locomotive

Dubs 2.4-2T Locomotive
Creator:
Dubs & Company, Glasgow, Scotland
Description:
Locomotive shipped to Queensland on ship, Scottish Admiral and worked the isolated Bundaberg Railway. Used in Brisbane 1895. Then sold to CSR and worked at Childers. In 1919 sold to Strahan Marine Board and used to construct breakwater at the Hells Gates, Macquarie Harbour. Then becoming timber felling Locomotive. Static.
Date:
1880
Item Id Number:
Dubs 01

Bandenberg, Childers, Brisbane, Strahan, Zeehan, Hobart