Photographs

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The National Gallery of Australia is home to the nation's collection of art and has works drawn from every branch of the visual arts. The core of the collection is the Australia Collection which includes works by Roberts, Streeton, Condor, Boyd and Nolan. The International Collection parallels the Gallery's holdings of Australian art over the past two hundred years. It represents the major schools and movements in art from 1850 to the present. Other collections include Aboriginal Art comprising selections of traditional bark paintings through to contemporary works and Asian Art, including...
A vibrant place in the heart of the city, Canberra Museum and Gallery (CMAG) celebrates the region's social history and visual arts with dynamic exhibitions and unique community programs and events. Working in partnership with the community to celebrate our rich and diverse cultural heritage, CMAG also features the permanent exhibition, 'Reflecting Canberra'.Collection has only been developing since 1996 (therefore it is small). Visual arts and social history of Canberra and region in particular, local history and that which explores nexus between local and national. Australians often forget...
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
The museum, which is 100 years old, is weatherboard with a corrugated iron roof. The collection includes the MacCarthur Cloak (c1816), a world wide shell collection, 1000 years of monarchy, snow shoe and wooden skis from Scott's expedition, a pictorial history of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, historic clothing and a Telstra display.Old house full of local history. Farming machinery, war memorabilia, photographs, shells.
The Headland Museum at Nambucca Heads is a small, uncluttered Museum with a large photographic display depicting the early days of timber and shipping in the area. Some fine pieces of furniture, china, and ceramics are housed in the Museum, as well as craft, kitchenalia and farming implements. Aboriginal artefacts are featured, including a genuine "King" plate. Records of shipwrecks on the Nambucca are available, as well as of general shipbuilding including the "Royal Tar". Early mill owners are documented and a good collection of timber working tools is on display. The...
Local museum with over 4,000 photographs and several books on the Hills District for purchase. The museum conducts local area tours for adults and children. Guest speakers are available. Research facilities for local and family history are also available.2,000 items, 4,000 photographs. Tool collection very good - complete set of wood working tools.
The Museum collection is housed in a building of local stone, listed on the Register of National Estate and comprising a schoolmaster's residence and attached schoolroom (c.1873). The display highlights the history of the Merimbula-Pambula area & identifies some well known local individuals, such as Syms Covington assistant to Charles Darwin, William Mckell who was later Governor General of Australia.500 items plus estimated 600 photographs. Photographic displays, artefacts and business records relating to early local industries and families e.g. The Maizena factory and the Munn family,...
The Building housing museum is over 140 years old, previously RC Church Rawdon Island. Family tree research. Community based historical society. Story of Jimmy Governor, last outlaw of New South Wales walks. Timber and dairying and sugar industries.Local Community Archival Records, Photographs
The Museum is housed in former Silverton Gaol (1889) and warden's residence and hospital room. Police Station and Gaol closed in 1943. The Broken Hill Historical Society opened a museum on the premises in 1968. There are now over 14 rooms of exhibits plus an outside area.Large photographic collection - local, community & mining archival records. Sporting photographic collection - old mining machinery, old household objects; early clothing, band memorabilia; lodges' regalia.
The Museum is situated in an old stone cottage of 4 rooms, one of the oldest buildings in town, having been built between 1847 and 1856 as a private residence. It was used as a bank by a number of banks from 1871 to the 1900s. It then became a residence again and when the owner died a group of interested people approached the RSL Club for permission to turn the cottage into a museum. It was agreed that a Historical Society be formed and after restoration of the cottage, the Museum was opened in October 1967. It was further restored in 1993 and now houses the Merriwa Tourist Information Centre...
There are three exhibition galleries within the Grafton Regional Gallery - historic Prentice House, Main Gallery and The Loft. Major additions and renovations were completed in 1999. There are now state of the art exhibitions spaces, a multi-purpose studio workshop, an outdoor arena and collection storage facility. The gallery is home to the prestigious Jacaranda Acquisitive Drawing Award (JADA). With prize money of over $15,000, the JADA seeks to encourage and promote contemporary Australian drawing.The Gallery Collection of over 400 works is constantly growing through an active policy and...
The museum is housed in The Old Narrabri Gaol which is listed on the National Estate Register and classified by the National Trust. Exhibits are mounted in the cells, exercise yards and outbuildings. They consist mainly of historical items associated with life in the town of Narrabri and surrounding district.100,000+ file reference cards to local people, photographs, local newspapers from late 1800s and on microfilm, World War memorabilia, family history records, and burial records.
The Museum is housed in the former Wollombi Court House (1866). The exhibits are of a wide variety and reflect everyday life in the area. There are item relating for farming and mining as well as many household items. A major part of the collection is devoted to clothing. Another feature is the Wyndham collection, which consists of books, clothing, china, postcards, photos and furniture donated by the Wyndham family. The rear of the building has two cells used to house prisoners. The judges bench houses a growing photographic collection of the life and time of the area. Restored in 1954...
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The Albury Regional Art Gallery is housed in a renovated building which was the former Town Hall, built in 1908. It is a splendid example of late Victorian 'wedding cake rococco'. Opened as the Art Gallery in 1981, it organises an extensive program of exhibitions, public lectures, education activities, holiday workshops and musical programs.The collections comprise the City Collection, begun in 1947, with the Albury Art Prize as the major source of objects. In 1981 Photography was established as a major strand within the colleciton along with other works on paper. The policy was to collect...
The museum's local history collection includes furniture, clothing, books, china, machinery and photos. These items are displayed in a bedroom, parlour and sewing room of a 1920s house and in an extension. Separate rooms have been devoted to materials from the Returned Service League and to the writer Miles Franklin. A large machinery shed holds agricultural equipment and large domestic machinery. School photos and memorabilia are also available.Collection covers items and information believed relevant to the history of Tumut and district. Textiles of the last century including articles worn...
The Great Lakes Historical Museum has a fine display of historic buildings from the Great Lakes area including the original National Bank at Forster (a 1940's cottage); the Tuncurry Public school, built in 1886; the Cheers family cottage, built in the 1940s; and the original Tuncurry police station lock-up which was used from 1948-59. In the grounds of the museum there is a typical 1960's fishing boat, a working windmill which pumps water for our lawns and various artefacts relating to the local history. The buildings have all been fully refurbished and contain interesting displays. The...
The museum is in a granite 2 storeyed building - the Royal Hotel 1845. It was owned by surveyor James Larmer who accompnied Mitchell on exploration trips and surveyed all the South East of the colony. The building was bought by Grand United Order of Oddfellows in 1882 and two large halls were added for meetings and balls. It is situated in the main street of Braidwood, a National Trust town. There is a speaker or excursion each month, an annual dinner in June.2100 artefacts, 900 photographs are of local origin. A unique attraction is the Nomchong collection. This family were traders in the...
The home and studio (1942-1970) of the late three times Archibald Prize winner, Sir William Dobell, and his sister, Thirza Alice, is maintained by local volunteers as a memorial museum. The house is on the interim list of the National Estates Register and contains original furniture, possessions, memorabilia, family mementoes, photographs and prints of his works are displayed. The house is also a centre for promotion of local community arts activities and exhibitions.Estimated 700-800 items. Original furniture, possessions, memorabilia, family mementos, photographs and prints of his works...

Pages