Postal Services

Cardwell's Old Telegraph Station and Post Office was built in 1870 and is probably the oldest building in North Queensland. It survived from the earliest days of Cardwell's history as Cardwell was the first settlement north of Bowen on the coast. With the former Courthouse, Lock-up and Old Shire Hall, the heritage precinct tells the story of Cardwell and its place in the communications vital to the development of North Queensland.The collection consists of objects and photographs of local provenance which are relevant to the buildings and local history.
Eight separate buildings: The historic pioneer house, the one teacher school, the blacksmith shop, the Government Shed are equipped. Sheds house the farm machinery, stationary engines and fir engine, while a separate museum centre contains a library, photographic and interpretive displays, taped histories and various documents relating to social history. All in bushland setting.Kimba's local history museum includes pioneer domestic and farming items, stationary engines, harness vehicles and equipment, vintage trucks and tractors, a water conservation model, schooling and communication...
We are situated on the main street in the Old Telegraph station c.1860. Focusing the history of the building and towns history. McKinlays artefacts (explorer)Small archival records, small collection of photographs, telegraphic memorabilia, household items. Gawler's early industrial era. General items of the towns businesses.
The museum is housed in the Hog Bay School building, the third school to be built on the site (1922). The first room you enter is the Maritime Room, this displays the history and shipwrecks of Kangaroo Island. The School Porch houses the displays of schooling. The Schoolroom has displays on Early Settlers, including aboriginal women, agriculture, industry, communications and social and domestic life are portrayed.2,000 items, 700 photographs. The displays are organised in such a way that the visitor quickly gains a feel for the history of Kangaroo Island, especially maritime, education, early...
The Museum's collections include household items, post office articles, and records, an old school room (1893), blacksmith's shop, farm implements and engines, housed in an 1870 home and outbuildings.700 - 800 items, approximately 200 photographs
Local history of the district from 1880. Special sections on agriculture, entertainment, sports, marine, schools, churches, transport, household items, photographs, maps and books. The museum if also responsible for the care of Stokes Methodist Church and Pioneer Women's Memorial. Caretakers of the Provis Memorial Park. Markers at the sites of early schools and other places of historical interest. Listing of the heritage listed buildings in the area.900 items, 450 photographs. Memorabilia of local - transport, churches, schools, shipping, shops, early settlers, agriculture, entertainment,...
A local and social history museum depicting the heritage of Wallaroo. Main themes: copper mining and smelting period (1861-1923) History of the port of Wallaroo since 1861. General local history - sport, entertainment, industry, civic affairs and religion. Located in the first post office building 1865-1910. Has been Museum building since 1975.Over 3,000 exhibits depict the Industrial, Mining, Smelting, Maritime and Social History of the port of Wallaroo. The Museum is also home to the former Tipara Reef Lighthouse (1877-1996) Re-located to the Museum in 2001.
The Museum's collections focus on: the 1894 settler's cottage; the 1910 Congregational church and manse; the AMP Society Land Development; the Gold Escort Route of 1852; and the Wild Dog Fence which saved the fledgling colony of South Australia from failing.Approximately 1,000 items including a feral dog preserved by taxidermist, as well as photographs.
The Streaky Bay Museum is housed in the old school. It includes the family history of the Campbell family (1864), the Kelsh family (1860) Kelsh pioneer pug and pine cottage, the Freeman family (1856) and Mudge family 1855, as well as machinery dating back to the 1880s.A large collection of great variey. Furniture, household items, farm machinery, historic buildings, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and medical artefacts and instruments.. The collection is a source of local history of people and their way of life through the years.
Situated in the picturesque Koppio Hills, the Museum consists of a fully restored blacksmith shop built in 1903, an historic cottage, also restored, and displays of farm machinery and other items of interest from around the turn of the century. There is also a district school building housing memorabilia and Aboriginal artefacts, and a restored pine log cottage, c1890, Glenleigh. Heritage Hall contains Jericho family treasures and the Bob Dobbins Barbed Wire collection.Approximately 10,000 items, plus photographs. The museum covers 1 hectare, with fourteen buildings - i.e.. Old homes, small...
A magnificent Northern French Romanesque building. Built in 1866 as the Baptist Church with two floors. This is complimented by an extensive undercover display area for the agricultural, industrial and transport history of Kapunda. Bagot's Fortune is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, the Kapunda Museum.Extensive collection of the social, commercial, industrial and agricultural history of Kapunda.
The Museum was established in a former lighthouse keeper's cottage in 1980. All aspects of the Island's history are represented in the displays of the King Island Museum. Relics from the large number of shipwrecks around the coastline of the Island are also featured.estimated 2,000 objects and 1,500 photographs
The "Old Court House" was built in 1938 and was used as a Court of Petty Sessions until the 1970's and for Council meetings until 1993. The Bruny History Collection was established in 1988 and the History Room opened in 1997. The History Room provides a venue for the community and visiting public to peruse information on Bruny Island's history with subjects arranged in alphabetical order including Aboriginal History, Convicts, Family Trees, Industries, schools, Wars and many others.The collection contains items of yesteryear, local community archival records and photographs...

The Gold Museum performs a dual role as the home of the celebrated Simon collection of gold nuggets and coins, and as the Regional Museum for Ballarat. Permanent and temporary exhibitions exploring the history of the district are presented, encompassing both Ballarat social history and Koori cultural heritage.The Simon Gold Pavilion tells the story of gold throughout the ages, while the recently opened 'Ballarat: Inspired by Gold' exhibition traces the evolution of a grand Victorian city. The multi-media 'Land of the Watha Wurrung' delivers a dramatic interpretation of the region’s Koori...

The Museum, consists of an historic post office (1890), a early and later period school buildings, pioneer's cottage and a bark hut. Lewis Lasseter (of fabled gold reef fame) - story of his activities in the district. His work boat is on display at the Museum. Displays deal with local history - from the discovery of gold, followed by timber getting, then dairying. As the area developed into a thriving community.Approximately 800 artefacts and 2000 photographs, and 100 documents

The Local History Resource Centre was established in 1984 as part of the Victoria 150th Celebrations. The collection is housed in the former Ouyen Courthouse building which it shares with the Mallee Genealogical Society. The centre houses material collected from the southern part of the Rural City Council area. The photographic collection is a special feature, comprising approximately 2,500 black and white photographs. The aim of the centre is to make local history information accessible to everyone.Photographs, microfilm of the early Ouyen newspapers from 1911, including some early copies...
The restored Common School (1874) and the Salvation Army Hall (1926) now form a historical complex which is used by the Society for displays and the storage of local heritage items of historical value.Approximately 600-1000 items
Built in 1905 as a general merchant's store and attached residence, the Museum now houses the L.L. Pitts photographs and items from local organisations, general interest and farming objects.. Unique photographs taken by Lilian Louisa Pitts between 1900 and 1928 record the lives and times of Merrigum. The house has each room displayed in setting for that room e.g. bedroom, kitchen. Each year in May, Heritage Day is held with many operating displays.Estimated 3000 items. The museum was built in 1905 as a general store and residence. The collection consists of local history artefacts, domestic...

The Museum's Aboriginal name translates as "home of yesterday". It is housed in a bluestone and brick building built in 1874. Displays, including many photographs, dressed models, clothing and farm machinery, reflect the gold mining rush of 1856. The Mooney and Charles Best collections of Aboriginal artefacts are also featured, the Mooney collection being on loan from the City of Ararat.Approximately 4000 items, plus 1000 photographs

Our collection is partly ship wreck information and partly local history. Also locally made crafts fro sale.100's of written articles, photos, old kitchen ware, albums of local interest.

Pages