King Island Historical Society Museum

The Museum was established in a former lighthouse keeper's cottage in 1980. All aspects of the Island's history are represented in the displays of the King Island Museum. Relics from the large number of shipwrecks around the coastline of the Island are also featured.

Address: 
Lighthouse Street, Currie, King Island, TAS
Tel: 
0364621512
Hours: 
2pm-4pm Mon, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun in summer, 2pm-4pm Sat and Sun only in winter
Admission: 
Adults $2 or donation
Facilities: 
Books and souvenirs on sale
Collection: 
estimated 2,000 objects and 1,500 photographs
Share

Items

Newspaper

The Record

Description:
Handwritten local newspapers.
Date:
1909-1914

Cannon

Cataraqui Cannon

Description:
Cannon from the ship "Cataraqui" which was wrecked on King Island in 1845. With 405 lives lost, it is considered one of Australia's worst shipping disasters.
Date:
1845

Rattler and cable

Chester Richardson's "Rattler" and Bass Strait Cable

Creator:
Chester Richardson
Description:
Telecommunications equipment.

Mineral samples

King Island Scheelite Collection

Description:
A collection of mineral samples, maps, dioramas and photographs relating to the mining of scheelite.
Date:
1948-1990

Slasher

King Island Slasher

Description:
Slotted metal disc, like a shovel but with sharpened sides and a wooden handle. Used for agricultural slashing.
Date:
1920-1930