Religion

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Schoolhouse was built in the early 1840s and operated continuously until 1880 and from 1895 to 1907. The Museum consists of the original schoolroom and five other rooms used as a home for the school Master and his family. In addition to the furnishings and artefacts of the school and the schoolhouse, the Museum has a collection of photographs on display of Canberra in the 19th and early 20th centuries and a collection of objects relating to the history of St John's Church and other churches of the district.approximately 600 items including up to 200 photographs.
Nimbin Museum is a journey through eight rooms in chronological order (Aboriginal, pioneer, and hippy eras) as the visitor follows the rainbow serpent path. One of the strengths of the collection is "hippypernalia". Nimbin is a holy town and this trip is sacred!7,000 items and numerous inbuilt artistic works
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
Bishop's Lodge was built in 1889 for the Anglican Bishop of Riverina. It is an iron house, built with great technical innovation for the climate and soils of the Western Riverina. It is set in a late nineteenth century garden and reflects the social, cultural and religious history of its inhabitants over the past century.
Built with convict labour in 1836-1840, Henry Kendall Cottage was once the home of pioneer poet Henry Kendall. One room contains some of his possessions. The remaining rooms are furnished as an old cottage. An historical museum displays a wide variety of artefacts (eg domestic items, musical instruments) A slab shed features displays on early industries and there is also a shed exhibiting farm implements.. Other features include a replica 2 seater pit toilet and a slab wash-house.
The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
The Museum is housed in former Silverton Gaol (1889) and warden's residence and hospital room. Police Station and Gaol closed in 1943. The Broken Hill Historical Society opened a museum on the premises in 1968. There are now over 14 rooms of exhibits plus an outside area.Large photographic collection - local, community & mining archival records. Sporting photographic collection - old mining machinery, old household objects; early clothing, band memorabilia; lodges' regalia.
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The museum was built in 1872 of bricks made in Brewarrina. In June 1999 the museum will move down the street into the bowling club building, with tourism and information.Approx 1000 items and 400 photos. Items of local history are on display behind the courthouse once used as lock-up keeper's residence and connected to the rear of the courtroom.
The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The Museum focuses on local history and the community culture of Shellharbour City. Collections include; Aboriginal culture, pioneering industries of dairy farming with ancillary industries of coal mining, tanneries and coach building. The centre point of the museum is a bronze bust of Caroline Chisholm, 'The Emigrants Friend', who settled some 23 families to Shellharbour in 1843.
The 2004 exhibition 'The Built Environment of Shellharbour City', will open 24th April, to coincide with The National Trust 'Heritage Festival'. This exhibition will encompass man made structures such as...
Nativity House is the only Christmas Museum in Australia. It displays over 600 nativity scenes (cribs) from 60 countries. The materials used to create a nativity scene are unique to each country and include silk, gold, silver,, wood, ebony, maize leaves, straw, wood shavings, embroideries, plaster terracotta, clay, turtle shell, glass and crystal. Other displays include antique Christmas cards, handcraft and nativity paintings after the old masters. A unique multicultural Christmas celebration which shows the true meaning of Christmas, which is the birth of Christ.The true meaning of...
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.
Built in 1895, this two-storey former hotel opened as a museum in 1971. There are 22 rooms housing turn of the century fashions, furnishing and artefacts. Features include a kitchen; laundry; slab school house and historic machinery displayed in the grounds.600 varied items; 1 ha. machinery items
The collection housed the Royal Australian Navy's presentations, relics and trophies, in buildings originally designed to warehouse armaments and ammunition. These are located on an island at the extreme western end of Sydney Harbour. The buildings date from 1865. Items from the collection are lent to most major maritime and military museums and throughout the Royal Australian Navy.Over 750,000 items
A small museum with a very comprehensive display of historical photos relevant to Yamba's history, some working models (eg. the lighthouse, the railway which was used to build Yamba's breakwater walls), some artefacts and a large quantity of reading material (newspaper cuttings, historical books etc).850 historical artefacts; 300 books; over 1,000 photographs, plus ten photograph albums and ten volumes of newspaper cuttings
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.
Artefacts and local history are our main theme. Our museum is a two story brick building situated in Murrumburrah, with exhibits on both floors. We cater for school groups.The collections focus is on local history; Bound copies of local newspapers, photographs, clothing display, chemist shop, blacksmith shop, railway exhibit, mining display, kitchen and household items, school, musical instruments. There is also a small library and a collection of maps.
This museum is part Holy Trinity, Garrison Church the first military settlement with maps. The military section shows memorabilia from Boer War to Gulf War inclusive.Sydney's early history photos of people and places. Inclusive is first Prime Minister who attended this hall when it was a Parish School, as well as Cedric Immanuel prints, paintings of Rocks, maps of early Sydney, medal, WW2 uniforms, etc.

Pages