Bishop's Lodge

Bishop's Lodge

Bishop's Lodge was built in 1889 for the Anglican Bishop of Riverina. It is an iron house, built with great technical innovation for the climate and soils of the Western Riverina. It is set in a late nineteenth century garden and reflects the social, cultural and religious history of its inhabitants over the past century.

Address: 
Roset Street, Hay, NSW
Tel: 
0269931727
Hours: 
2pm-4:30pm Mon - Sat or by appointment
Admission: 
Adults $5.00
Facilities: 
Guided tours, wheelchair access, building and garden available for hire, catering by prior arrangement
Share

Items

Furniture

Original Chapel Altar

Creator:
unknown
Description:
Oak altar made C.1890 for Bishop Linton, first resident of Bishop's Lodge. Recently reclaimed as it left Bishop's Lodge in 1946.
Date:
C1890

Correspondence

Letters

Creator:
Bishop Anderson
Description:
Series of illustrated letters written to his daughter Mary by Bishop Anderson when travelling around his diocese
Date:
1906-16

Tools

Dental Tools

Creator:
unknown
Description:
Set of travelling dental tools used by Rev. Hugh Linton, son of Bishop Linton, as he travelled through outback NSW in 1910s
Date:
C.1905

Clothing

Coach Boy's Coat

Description:
Linen coat worn by coach boys when driving Bishop around town
Date:
C1910

Locket

Description:
Photograph of Bishop Anderson in locket which belonged to his wife Mrs Aimee Anderson
Date:
C.1900