Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration

A specialised collection relating to exploration in the South Pacific. The building constructed in 1954 with some 26,000 hand made bricks brought from the convict kiln at Variety Bay, North Bruny Island. On display are maps, documents, paintings and artefacts recalling the visits to Adventure Bay of explorers such as Furneaux, Cook and Bligh and others.

Address: 
876 Main Road, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, TAS
Tel: 
0362931117
Hours: 
10 am to 3 pm Daily
Admission: 
Adult $4, Pensioner or Student $3, Children $2, Family $10
Facilities: 
Brochure
Collection: 
Pacific Exploration
Share

Items

Photograph

Last of Tasmanian Aborigines (Full Blood)

Last of Tasmanian Aborigines (Full Blood)
Creator:
Bishop Nixon
Description:
Photograph of a group of Tasmanian Aborigines.
Date:
circa 1840

Memorial

Memorial to Explorers

Memorial to Explorers
Creator:
John McLean
Description:
Memorial to explorers who visited Adventure Bay from 1773 to 1793. Upright slab with names of ships and their dates, topped by a model of a sailing ship.
Date:
circa 1950

Logbook

Log of HMS Providence

Log of HMS Providence
Creator:
William Bligh
Description:
Manuscript written and copied from original by W. Bligh. (Spine view on left, open book on right.)
Date:
Facsimile 1976

Globe

Terrestrial and Celestrial Globes

Terrestrial and Celestrial Globes
Creator:
Carey
Description:
Pair of globes, each 36" in diameter on stand, 54" in height with surround. (Terrestrial Globe on left, Celestrial Globe in museum at right.)
Date:
1770-1840