Aboriginal shell necklaces

Shell necklace making is one of the few surviving traditional Aboriginal crafts in Tasmania. There are only a handful of Aboriginal women who are still actively making the necklaces.

Tasmanian wood design

Tasmania is not only home to a selection of unusual and precious timbers, but also to several people who make beautiful things from them.


University of Tasmania Fine Art Collection

A collection of contemporary Australian art dispersed throughout the University buildings. There is no Gallery area exclusively for the collection.Art paintings, art photographs, contemporary art, decorative arts, drawings and prints, glass, pottery and ceramic, sculpture, textiles and weaving.

Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration

A specialised collection relating to exploration in the South Pacific. The building constructed in 1954 with some 26,000 hand made bricks brought from the convict kiln at Variety Bay, North Bruny Island.

Highfield Historic Site

Highfield is historically significant for its association with the Van Diemen's Land Company, which was responsible for the settlement of Northwest Tasmania. Highfield was the original headquarters of the Company's operations.

Pioneer Village Museum

Main Street Burnie as it was in 1900 at the height of the towns first Economic boom is regarded in this bustling street and include an INN, Dentist's Surgery, A Home, Carpenters, Printery, General Store and Saddlery.

Burnie Regional Art Gallery

Opened in 1978 the art gallery is regionally based and possesses one of the finest collections of Australian contemporary prints (works on paper) in Tasmania.

John Elliot Classics Museum

Founded by Professor John Elliot in 1954, the Classics Museum has grown to comprise a substantial collection of antiquities including representative examples of art and artefacts of ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece, Etruria and Rome.

Tiagarra Aboriginal Culture Centre and Museum

Tiagarra is an interpretation centre for the history and present cultures and art of Aboriginal people in Tasmania. The Museum houses many authentic artefacts in 18 separate displays. Surrounding the Museum is a walking track which features several rock engraving sites.

Australian Antarctic Division Display

The display in the foyer of the headquarters of the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) contains artefacts from the heroic age of Antarctic exploration. The focus is on Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE) from 1947 onwards and current Antarctic research.

Ida Bay Railway

A narrow gauge bush railway with 7km of track extending from the main road to a disused jetty near Southport passing scenic and historic sites. At certain times of the year a steam locomotive is used.

Sarah Island

The most infamous convict station in Van Diemen's Land was built on this small rainforest island and operated from 1822 to 1833 and then again in 1846 and 1847 as a probation station.

White House

Built by Thomas White in 1841, White House displays a fine collection of 17th and 18th century oak furniture, china, icons, paintings, prints, pewter and copper. The outbuildings house early bicycles, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and a special display of toys and miniature furnishings.

Franklin House

Located in the town of Franklin Village, the original house museum was opened by the National Trust in 1961. Built in 1838, Franklin House is a charming Georgian residence and a good example of the period, with authentic furnishings and pictures.

Hamilton Heritage Museum

The Hamilton Heritage Centre is a small, local interest museum consisting of photographs and artefacts of the area. It is located in the Old Warder's Cottage, which was part of the convict probation station at Hamilton.

Saint David's Anglican Cathedral

The Museum is in the main Cathedral building which houses many items of interest. It is self contained within the Cloisters of the Cathedral. In static and changing displays, the Museum exhibits material relating to the Anglican Church in Tasmania from 1804 to the present.

Pearn's Steam World

Pearn's Steam Museum is a volunteer group dedicated to the restoration and preservation of early agricultural heritage.The collection includes Foden, Birdsall, Fowler, Buffalo Pitts, Avelinga, Porter and Eclipse steam traction engines.

The Grove

The Grove is a privately owned house museum. It is a Georgian stone residence, set up as a working home with tearooms and reception. It is George Town's most imposing early building which is believed to have been built circa 1830.

Beatties Studio

A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives

Alpenrail Swiss Model Village and Railway

Alpenrail is a display of about 200 square metres, featuring the the scenery of the Bernese Alps. Alpine villages, rivers, lakes among the forests, the railways and culture, are all presented with a background of lively Swiss music.

St Helens History Room

In this local history interpretation centre, an excellent collection of early photographs of the region are displayed with relevant objects, including wooden interactive models relating to mining. Fifteen historical monographs have been published and are for sale.