Merredin Museum and Historical Society

Merredin Museum and Historical Society

The museum complex comprises four main buildings, an entrance and parcels office circa 1923; signal box with 95 levers circa 1913; ladies and men's waiting rooms circa 1917; and a refreshment room and bar circa 1923 with bar circa 1906. Main collection areas are the railway history of the Merredin area; Merredin's social, agricultural, mining and war (1939-45) history; and a large doll collection. Garden surrounds include a waterfall (the only one between Perth and Adelaide); fish ponds where children are encouraged to feed fish; and an overhead water tank from which steam engines were filled, which was in use from 1893. Merredin's Fine Art Society uses the Refreshment Room building as its studio and for TAFE art classes.

Address: 
Great Eastern Hwy, Merredin, WA
Tel: 
0890413370
Hours: 
Open every day except Xmas Day, New Year and Good Friday. Weekdays 9-2.30pm, Weekends 10-4pm, School Holidays 10-4pm
Admission: 
Adults $3, Pensioners and Students $1.50, Children $1, Family (of four or more) $7
Facilities: 
Souvenirs, drinks, guided tours for schools or on request, work sheets for school groups
Collection: 
The collection includes farming machinery, memorabilia of 2/1st army general hospital, contempory art objects, photography of the development of the Merredin area - its rail and social history since the 1890's.
Share

Items

Locomotive

Shunter T-Class

Shunter T-Class
Creator:
Tulloch Ltd, Hawker Sidley Brusk
Description:
This locomotive shunter was operated by a man crew and worked in the west Merredin Manhalling yards as well as the western Australia stations. Was "retired" in 1994. Dimensions, length 7m56cm, width 2m60cm.
Date:
1970 - 1994
Item Id Number:
769

Merredin, Western Australia

Steam Locomotive

"G" Class No117

"G" Class No117
Description:
The locomotive was made of cast iron steel, brass etc. Used to transport passengers and goods carriages, for timber hauling (1949-51) shunting until 1970. 1971 moved to Merredin for preservation by Lions club. 1945 modified to burn wood. Distance travelled, 1,267,892 Kms.
Date:
1897 - 1970
Item Id Number:
2

Merredin, Western Australia

Spring Cart

Creator:
Bolton & Co, Wheelwrights, Perth
Description:
The spring cart was pulled by horse and would take up to half a tonne load. Made of wood and iron. Length of shaft 2m53cm. Length of cart body 1m88cm, width inside cart 1m12cm. Wheel height (dia) 1m37cm. Owned by Mr WA Last. Used on Nukami WA farm from approx 1925. General farm use - carted super phosphate, wheat, mallee stumps and water.
Date:
1925 - 1957
Item Id Number:
919

Western Australia, Nukami

Instrument for recording rainfall

Phiviograph (Dines)

Phiviograph (Dines)
Description:
The Phiviograph is made of copper brass and white metal, total height 88cm, (stand 31cm) circular base of instrument 106cm. Excellent condition and in working order. It was installed in the Merredin Recreation ground on the 14th December 1965. Records commenced Jan 1966 and replaced by an electric recorder 1996. Includes a pack of rainfall charts, Inside comprises drum, clock, spindle and nut.
Item Id Number:
902

Merredin, Western Australia

Church Organ

Creator:
Cornish Co, Washington, NJ, USA
Description:
This Church Organ has beautifully ornate carving, an oval mirror and is pedal operated. Made of wood, ivory, felt and mirror glass. Total height 170cm, width 1metre.
Item Id Number:
851

Willis farm, Korbel, Western Australia