Local History

The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items
Located in the former Nowra Police Station building (c1900), the Nowra Museum has displays which focus on life in the Nowra district in years gone by. Features are the large number of photographs which cover a range of subjects; small artefacts; watercolour paintings from local 19th century artist, Samuel Elyard; and a series of black and white sketches of district houses, commissioned by the Shoalhaven Historical Society in recent years. The Society has published some district history, and the Museum library includes most publications about the local area.Approx. 2000 artefacts, approx....
John Verge designed the country homestead Bedervale set in a pleasant eight acre garden on a working rural property. The homestead adjoins an earlier enclosed courtyard and farmyard. It contains a unique collection of the original families furniture and personal effects from the 1840's and is still lived in as a home.Family collection from pre 1840 to 1900 in situ plus recent family additions. Australian and English furniture, china, paintings, household effects and kitchen utensils. Horse drawn vehicles and machinery.
This two storey Georgian style school house (ca1840) displays furniture, clothing, personal and household items, photographs and other objects from the late 1800s to the mid 1900s. The restored, convict built building also houses a collection of historic books from the Australian Agricultural Company (AAC), dating from the late 1700s to the 1800s.
The museum is housed in the upper level of Lismore Municipal Building, a heritage building. Its collection consists of artefacts, maps, photographs and archival material relating to the Richmond River District, and includes Aboriginal artefacts, coastal and river shipping material, local industries, and a unique display of local timber. The museum's meeting room is lined with local red cedar from former Kyogle station.
Susannah Place is a small terrace row of four dwellings, built in 1843 and occupied until 1990. As a house museum, Susannah Place conserves, interprets and presents its historical interiors, collection and structural fabric in a way which acknowledges and illuminates changes in occupants and the broader transformation of the surrounding Rocks neighbourhood. The collection includes a rich archive of oral history records and personal effects contributed by the former occupants.
The Ungarie Museum contains items of historical interest, donated by residents over the years. These include old photographs, bottles, rocks, other small collectibles, farming implements, household equipment and books. Some machinery is displayed in the outside yard.Approximately 600 items listed in catalogue
The Building housing museum is over 140 years old, previously RC Church Rawdon Island. Family tree research. Community based historical society. Story of Jimmy Governor, last outlaw of New South Wales walks. Timber and dairying and sugar industries.Local Community Archival Records, Photographs
The Museum features a broad cross-section of photographs, text and memorabilia related to the cultural and natural history of Lord Howe Island from it's discovery in 1788 onwards.
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
Built in 1851, Alne Bank is a late Georgian house of stuccoed rubble stone with cedar fittings and furniture. It has been the home of the Hindmarsh family for five generations, and it features a stone barn housing museum pieces, a family cemetery and a working dairy. One of its specialities is information on the history of cedar in the area.
The Museum is housed in former Silverton Gaol (1889) and warden's residence and hospital room. Police Station and Gaol closed in 1943. The Broken Hill Historical Society opened a museum on the premises in 1968. There are now over 14 rooms of exhibits plus an outside area.Large photographic collection - local, community & mining archival records. Sporting photographic collection - old mining machinery, old household objects; early clothing, band memorabilia; lodges' regalia.
Don Bank is an early 19th century cottage and a surviving example of a timber slab house construction. The house was one of the first built on the Wollstonecraft land grant and has connections to the Berry and Wollstonecraft families. Don Bank's static displays feature the house itself, its changing styles and fabrics as well as the social history of the area. A highlight of Don Bank's collection is its kitchen objects and extensive costume and textile collection.500 clothing and textiles items; 300 household items
The building that houses our collection is over 100 years old and is the oldest building in the main street. It is heritage listed with the national trust and is owned by the Manilla shire council. For many a year a baker's shop, Royce Cottage was originally built for Mr G.H. Royce, who arrived in Manilla in 1884. The restored building now houses a museum, with many rooms furnished as they would have been in the past. Other rooms feature historical artefacts, pictures of pioneers, local history information, radios and gramophones, vintage washing and sewing machines, the sporting...
A truly 'old style' museum with artefacts and images crammed into every available space, including aboriginal artefacts (although most were donated to the new Minjungbal Aboriginal Museum at South Tweed Heads), thunder eggs from Mt.Warning's caldera, relics of the 'cedar-getter' era, farm tools & equipment, militaria, cameras, clothing, bottles, kitchen utensils, photographs, and check out the radio room with its wide range of communications equipment. The museum is run by volunteer curators from the Tweed River Historical Society. Research assistance is available for those investigating...
The Museum is situated in an old stone cottage of 4 rooms, one of the oldest buildings in town, having been built between 1847 and 1856 as a private residence. It was used as a bank by a number of banks from 1871 to the 1900s. It then became a residence again and when the owner died a group of interested people approached the RSL Club for permission to turn the cottage into a museum. It was agreed that a Historical Society be formed and after restoration of the cottage, the Museum was opened in October 1967. It was further restored in 1993 and now houses the Merriwa Tourist Information Centre...
A diverse collection of artefacts used in the Orara Valley over the last 125 years. The display is housed in two sections attached to the Glenreagh School of Arts, and the staff are well versed in local history.Over 600 items
This pioneer museum depicts the domestic and rural life of early Dubbo.Over 10,000 items
Cooma Cottage was the home of Australias first native born explorer Hamilton Hume. Architecturally the house is a fine example of several forms of early colonial building.10 pieces of original Hume furniture in the 160yr old restored home of Hamilton Hume.
A former courthouse building (1869) is the site of a local history museum which focuses on Clarence Town as a terminal of navigation and river port. It's collection encompasses shipbuilding, exploration, maps, documents photographs, memorabilia, household items, timber-getting, agriculture and the history of the settlement of Williams River. In addition to the above, a native cottage garden is in the process of being established, together with a replica pioneer settlers cottage about to be constructed, materials on site, containing names, photographs (where available), and information on...