Historic People

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Schoolhouse was built in the early 1840s and operated continuously until 1880 and from 1895 to 1907. The Museum consists of the original schoolroom and five other rooms used as a home for the school Master and his family. In addition to the furnishings and artefacts of the school and the schoolhouse, the Museum has a collection of photographs on display of Canberra in the 19th and early 20th centuries and a collection of objects relating to the history of St John's Church and other churches of the district.approximately 600 items including up to 200 photographs.
Built in 1927, this magnificent heritage building was the seat of political power for more than sixty years. Today, you can relive the dramatic stories behind the rise and fall of governments through an ever-changing program of events, tours, exhibitions and workshops. Take a fascinating guided tour or wander the corridors solo to discover the architectural detail of Kings Hall, the Prime Ministers Suite and the Chambers. Old Parliament House is also home to Australia's National Portrait Gallery, which celebrates the achievements of the people who have helped to shape Australia and...
Blundell's Cottage was built in 1860 to accommodate skilled workers on the Duntroon Estate. It remains the only such building in the Parliamentry Triangle. Furnished to depict turn-of-the-century rural life, the cottage provides an intriguing contrast to modern Canberra. Visitors gain an insight into the Limestone Plains before it was chosen as the site for the National Capital. Education program designed for ages 8 to 11.The cottage collection comprises less than 700 objects, the majority of which are on display. The focus is domestic and rural equipment from the period 1890-1910.
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
The National Library of Australia is the country's largest library and one of its leading research and reference libraries. As a major cultural institution, the National Library's role is to maintain and develop a national collection of library material to record the documentary heritage of all Australians, and to make those collections available for all Australians to use. The National Library was designed by Sydney architect Walter Bunning. It is situated on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, Australia's National Capital. With Parliament House and the National Gallery of...
The Polish Historical Institute in Australia aims to locate, collect, catalogue and preserve historical records such as the personal papers of Polish immigrants and Australians of polish descent plus the records of polish organisations in Australia. These records are deposited at the National Library of Australia and access to the collection is through the Manuscripts Reading Room.The Institute's collection comprises records of Polish organisations and papers of some Polish immigrants, including correspondence; minutes of meetings; newsletters and scrapbooks. The Institute has provided...
Established in 1931, the Museum's collection was originally based around the skeleton of the killer whale Old Tom, which is well steeped in local folklore. The Museum's prime theme is the whaling industry. The secondary theme is general maritime and fishing while the third interest is the timber industry and local social history.Artefacts relating to shore-based whaling, the timber industry, fishing and shipping, lighthouse, some agriculture and numerous domestic items, natural history specimens (skeletons, minerals, fossils) maritime artefacts (shipwreck relics, navigational equipment,...
The museum complex is made up of a cottage built by the first Mayor of Tamworth in 1875 adjacent to a vertical slab shepherd's hut (ca1845), both on their original sites. The Mayor was Philip Gidley King, superintendent of the Peel River Land and Mineral Company (also at times known as the Australian Agricultural Co). King was the great grandson of the third Governor of New South Wales of the same name. Both buildings have been restored and conserved and furnished circa 1890s. They display memorabilia and bric-a-brac of historical interest in a garden setting.4,000 items
Gledswood Farm Museum is an attraction of Gledswood Homestead, itself a tourist destination and heritage attraction. The museum is located in the granary of the coach house.422 artefacts, 196 photographs
Designed by world renowned Australian architect Glen Murcutt, the building in which this museum is housed is considered to be the first Australian building. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from the early time of the Aborigines to the present day. It is also a cultural museum, and includes collections on ships and shipping, telecommunications, agriculture, music, sports, leisure and entertainment, photographs, boots and shoes. A furnished settler's cottage is adjacent to the main building.Approximately 10,000 items. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from...
Splendidly located on Sydney Harbour, Vaucluse House is nestled in a 19th century estate with a kitchen wing, stables and outbuildings. It is surrounded by 27 acres of gardens and grounds. The home of William Charles Wentworth, father of the Australian Constitution, his wife Sarah and family from 1827-1853, Vaucluse House depicts the social aspirations and lifestyles of the Wentworths and of the servants who lived and worked there.The interiors include original Wentworth pieces together with furniture, furnishings and collections of the early to mid 19th century.
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The Watchouse is an old stone lockup designed by the Government Architect Edmund Blackett and built in 1854. It houses a museum with a permanent display cell on the history of the Balmain peninsula, a photographic collection and a resource centre for local and genealogical inquiries about people, places and events on the peninsula. An exhibition space comprising three cells, the charge room, lobby and part of the former kitchen is available for hire.
Bishop's Lodge was built in 1889 for the Anglican Bishop of Riverina. It is an iron house, built with great technical innovation for the climate and soils of the Western Riverina. It is set in a late nineteenth century garden and reflects the social, cultural and religious history of its inhabitants over the past century.
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
Society of 40 persons dedicated to restoration of 1860's Hargraves Courthouse complex. Large triple solid brick courthouse and living quarters, semi attached via enclosed walkway, vertical iron bark slab kitchen (now fully restored), detached vertical slab laundry and large separate horizontal slab stables building. An 1860's public toilet is expected to be operational later in 2002. Hargraves is the site of the first underground gold mine in Australia, founded 1854.In addition to the buildings described above, the society has amassed a large collection of old photographs depicting the...
Local museum with over 4,000 photographs and several books on the Hills District for purchase. The museum conducts local area tours for adults and children. Guest speakers are available. Research facilities for local and family history are also available.2,000 items, 4,000 photographs. Tool collection very good - complete set of wood working tools.
A small social history museum designed to show primary school students what life was like in Hornsby Shire when their grandparents were children. Set in the late 1930s, there is a pre-electric kitchen, corner stove, electrified laundry/bathroom with chip heater and a schoolroom, as well as a pictorial history of the development of the Shire and small changing displays. As part of the educational program, school groups can wash socks and play old fashioned school yard games in the park surrounding the museum. The museum also works well with nursing home and Alzheimers day care groups. Its...
The museum inhabits two colonial courthouses and a Police Station built between 1856-1886. It contains the historic NSW Police Museum collection which was established in 1910.Many of the artefacts concern crime, social history, Police, law and popular culture from bongs to batons to Judges wigs and bushrangers' firearms. It also showcases weird and wonderful relics from notorious crimes such as the Shark Arm Murder, the Pyjama Girl Case and the Thorne Kidnapping, as well as many original objects associated with such legendary bushrangers as Frank Gardiner, Ben Hall, Captain Moonlite and...

Pages