Historic Buildings

This historic building (built in 1890) was the home of Henry Plantagenet and Katherine Rose Somerset. Henry was a member of Parliament from 1904-1920. Caboonbah is now the headquarters of the Brisbane Valley Historical Society Inc, and the complex consists of seven buildings: Caboonbah Homestead, Cement Building, Caretakers Cottage (private), the original Worker's Cottage, McGrath Cottage, Police Station and Cell Block. A telemetric service was provided from Caboonbah after the 1893 floods and is still on site and in use.600 collections
Greycliffe is a wooden slab-construction 6-room homestead, originally constructed in the 1870s. This building is the main focus of the historical society's activities, as it houses a collection of furniture, utensils, photographs, documents and machinery that pertain to the history of the Callide Valley. Tours of Greycliffe are available by appointment. As well as the homestead, there is a blacksmith shop, and a shed housing the bullock dray, tip dray etc.Approximately 150-200 items (including photographs)
The Proserpine Historical Museum is the only Cultural Heritage Learning Facility in the region. Museums are now recognised as part of the growing Tourism Market. This Museum is situated on the Bruce Highway, offers one of the few all-weather tourist attractions on the mainland for the entire family. The Proserpine Historical Museum offers a large and well-designed foyer for the benefit of local Artists and Craftspeople to show their works - free of charge for short-term exhibitions. Artists were consulted during the planning stage and their needs in terms of lighting and hanging systems were...
The museum comprises a museum building, cottage, lock-up and an extensive display of outside machinery.200 items of outside machinery
Situated on the site of the original camping ground of the teamsters on the old Drayton/Toowoomba Road is the Laidley Pioneer Village. It was the first Village Complex in Queensland and for the last 25 years has entertained thousands of visitors and instructed thousands of school children in the ways of our early pioneers. The result of hard work by the Laidley District Historical Society (Inc) it now proudly boasts an authentic pioneer slab cottage; 100 year old school (complete with all requisites); blacksmith's shop; dairy; country store and post office; police cells; the original Shire...
Texas has a population of some 900 and has all necessities for shopping, health and sport. "Whyalla" feedlot, the largest in the southern hemisphere, is chief employer. Glenlyon and Coolmunda Dam and Dumaresq river provide fishing and boating venues. Numerous native birds for bird watching.All photos in albums cover early Texas, mining village, tobacco industry, social and sporting life of the area.
'Miegunyah' (1886) is a colonial home built when the local tradition was at its most ornate and opulent. It functions as a House Museum and headquarters of the Queensland Women's Historical Association. It is set in a tranquil leafy garden in historic Bowen Hills. The Association's comprehensive collection of personal and household items not only interprets this lifestyle but also enables regular changing exhibitions on wide ranging subjects. The building itself encapsules the late 19th century middle class Brisbane lifestyle. Within its collection it holds major items of memorabilia from Sir...
This original and well preserved jail house echoes with history and gives an indication of the stark harsh reality of gaol life. The building is unfurnished and never closes.
This well preserved historic original court house features a Magistrates Courtroom with authentic court furnishings.
Housed in the relocated old Tolga Railway Station, the Tolga Historical Society have a collection of photographs depicting life during World War II, when Tolga was a major base for troops and for an ambulance train, as well as photos of the activities of the local saw mills which have now ceased operations. Other photos depict local maize farming activities and the building of the nearby maize silos. New showcases have recently been constructed to hold the exhibits. Railway apparatus from the original station is still intact.
Located in the main street adjacent to closed ANZ Bank, Café and B&B, the museum is housed in five buildings which contain a varied collection of items and memorabilia depicting life and activities from the surrounding shire area. The main building contains a reconstructed general store and barber shop, and rooms have been outfitted with furniture depicting a parlour and bedroom from the 1920s. A slab shed, built with materials from local properties, holds mining and agricultural equipment. Many exhibits depict rural life from earlier times, including examples of fencing, a horse works...
A collection of significant historical artefacts and cultural documents (letterbooks, diaries, commissioners circulars police personnel biographies, police station histories and police conference papers relevant to the history of the Queensland Police Service since 1864.2000 artefacts, 2000 papers, books, documents, 3000 photographs.
Social history displays of items of cultural and historic interest in a building of historic significance (former School of Arts - National Trust listed). Specialising in photographic displays with large collection of originals and copies. Also needlework and lace artefacts.3500 photographs and continually growing - predominantly on the Maryborough Burnett region, 3000 books, hundreds of files. Wedding gowns 1890-1910.
The collection is housed in the National Bank building, built at Barcaldine in 1906. Other buildings include a wagon shed, furnished single man's railway quarters and an unusual two storey building built in 1900, which was the bookkeeper/manager's office at Westbourne wool scour. A miniature train is available for rides on the last Sunday of the month from March to October. Morning tea and a barbecue lunch are available on these family days. A Railway Guard's van, once the Barcaldine Information Centr, serves as an office and storage for historical archives relating to Barcaldine and...
The museum is located in the former Sisters of Mercy convent erected in 1887-1889. Following restoration by the National Trust, the James Cook Museum was opened in 1970. A $2.3 million Commonwealth Federation Fund grant in 2001 has enabled a rear Gallery extension to be added and the interior displays updated.The new Endeavour Gallery contains the original anchor and cannon from Captain Cook's ship "Endeavour", plus detailed items relating to Cook's extended stay in Cooktown in 1770.The museum also contains other items from Cooktown's early history.Photographic collection of...
Wolston House is an early stone and brick farmhouse built in 1852/53 but substantially extended in the 1860's.

The two storey farmhouse with cellars and dairy under, and the layout of one room width linked by verandahs is unusual in Queensland. Although only 20 minutes from Brisbane, the house retains its pastoral setting overlooking the river flats. Many furnishings date from the mid nineteenth century including some pieces made in south east Queensland.1000 items. Approximately 1000 pieces of Cedar furniture and other artifacts of the 1800's.
Providing services to members to enable them to increase their knowledge of the Nundah District, its history and heritage, and of the collection and preservation of records of that history and heritage. Maintaining records (Photographs, maps, documents etc) of the Nundah District, and of the people who were the pioneers of the District. Seeking additional historical material from the community. Recording information about the present day Nundah District so that such information will be available as historical information in the future. Facilitating access to historical material maintained...
Photographic archive room situated within the school of history and politics, James Cook University. Display prints hang in the corridors and open areas of the department.50,000 plus photographs, depicting the history of North Queensland
Our museum of memorabilia about "Andre Stombuco" is most significant because he built Palma Rosa, the headquarters of the English Speaking Union in Queensland. Stombuco built an enormous amount of significant buildings in Australia over 100 years ago. Palma Rosa has a collection of his works. Stombuco built the Queensland Club, Her Majesty's Theatre, All Hallows School Nudgee College, Gregory Terrace and a host of significant buildings which should be preserved for the future.collection of paintings and memorabilia
The Museum is housed in the upstairs portion of a heritage listed building, formerly the ambulance centre. Local arts and crafts are for sale, and the museum hosts workshops for a range of disciplines such as silver smithing, quilting, writing, pottery and painting.The museum's collection includes ambulance memorabilia and a bush nursing collection.

Pages