Numismatics, Coins and Currency

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The museum, which is 100 years old, is weatherboard with a corrugated iron roof. The collection includes the MacCarthur Cloak (c1816), a world wide shell collection, 1000 years of monarchy, snow shoe and wooden skis from Scott's expedition, a pictorial history of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, historic clothing and a Telstra display.Old house full of local history. Farming machinery, war memorabilia, photographs, shells.
Camden Historical Society was formed in 1957. It concentrates on the history of the town of Camden and the surrounding district. It developed, and runs, the Camden Historical Museum. The Society publishes a journal and monographs, hold monthly meetings and provides guides to groups visiting the district. It holds an extensive archival collection whch is available to those wishing to undertake research. Membership is about 150; there are no paid staff.The Museum is divided broadly into three parts. The first covers Aboriginal prehistory, early exploration, land grants, the establishment of the...
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The museum, originally the Post Office Hotel, is of slab construction, with a puddled iron roof. Built in 1860, it was occupied continuously until 1970, (as a private home since World War I). The museum is furnished as a private home and features extensive photo and gem-rock collections. Other buildings in the grounds include a school and a blacksmith shop.2,000 items; 2,000 photos; 2,000 gems and minerals
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
Built with convict labour in 1836-1840, Henry Kendall Cottage was once the home of pioneer poet Henry Kendall. One room contains some of his possessions. The remaining rooms are furnished as an old cottage. An historical museum displays a wide variety of artefacts (eg domestic items, musical instruments) A slab shed features displays on early industries and there is also a shed exhibiting farm implements.. Other features include a replica 2 seater pit toilet and a slab wash-house.
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
The Museum is housed in former Silverton Gaol (1889) and warden's residence and hospital room. Police Station and Gaol closed in 1943. The Broken Hill Historical Society opened a museum on the premises in 1968. There are now over 14 rooms of exhibits plus an outside area.Large photographic collection - local, community & mining archival records. Sporting photographic collection - old mining machinery, old household objects; early clothing, band memorabilia; lodges' regalia.
The building that houses our collection is over 100 years old and is the oldest building in the main street. It is heritage listed with the national trust and is owned by the Manilla shire council. For many a year a baker's shop, Royce Cottage was originally built for Mr G.H. Royce, who arrived in Manilla in 1884. The restored building now houses a museum, with many rooms furnished as they would have been in the past. Other rooms feature historical artefacts, pictures of pioneers, local history information, radios and gramophones, vintage washing and sewing machines, the sporting...
The cells of the former gaol are set up as a folk museum. Exhibits include clothing, telecommunications equipment, kitchen items, hospital equipment, Aboriginal artefacts, bottles and jars, musical instruments, guns and pistols, general artefacts, tools and implements and larger items.Over 3000 items and 7000 photographs
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The nostalgia of railways comes alive at this hands on action museum, with over 7000 exhibits. Special features include mini train rides; and a working HO model train layout; a rural museum with working displays of vintage farm machinery, tractors and engines; and a war museum displaying historic militaria, combat vehicles, weapons, medals and working steam engines. The Museum also holds a large Cowra prisoner of war display.10,000 items
The museum was built in 1872 of bricks made in Brewarrina. In June 1999 the museum will move down the street into the bowling club building, with tourism and information.Approx 1000 items and 400 photos. Items of local history are on display behind the courthouse once used as lock-up keeper's residence and connected to the rear of the courtroom.
The museum contains an extensive collection of aeronautical items: aircraft engines, a paratroop scooter, Air Force flying and survival articles, badges, insignia and medals from all countries and time periods. The museum also has many uniforms and items of equipment - cameras, compasses, aircraft instrument panels, models of aircraft, ships and tanks, and radio and photographic articles.Armstrong Siddley and cylinder radial aircraft engine, A/S Mamba jet Engine, 3 ejector seats, 2,000 world badges and insignia, medals. 200 plus uniforms, 200 plus helmets, hats and caps. Cameras, Compasses,...
The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The Museum focuses on local history and the community culture of Shellharbour City. Collections include; Aboriginal culture, pioneering industries of dairy farming with ancillary industries of coal mining, tanneries and coach building. The centre point of the museum is a bronze bust of Caroline Chisholm, 'The Emigrants Friend', who settled some 23 families to Shellharbour in 1843.
The 2004 exhibition 'The Built Environment of Shellharbour City', will open 24th April, to coincide with The National Trust 'Heritage Festival'. This exhibition will encompass man made structures such as...
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.
The building was formerly the local tourist information centre. Steel frame with brick walls and asbestos sheeting roof. It is situated off the main street and on the bank of the Richmond River. The town library, swimming pool and new tourist facility are adjacent. Just under 18,000 visitors for 1998, mostly from outside the area.The La Balsas raft is the main feature. The collection includes models of naval ships, sailing vessels, merchant shipping and many associated photographs, paintings, uniforms and other militaria.
The collection housed the Royal Australian Navy's presentations, relics and trophies, in buildings originally designed to warehouse armaments and ammunition. These are located on an island at the extreme western end of Sydney Harbour. The buildings date from 1865. Items from the collection are lent to most major maritime and military museums and throughout the Royal Australian Navy.Over 750,000 items

Pages