Archives

The Museum is housed in a bakehouse, built in about 1870. Ovens, a bread trough and baking equipment are featured. Local history memorabilia and collections of interest to the community, including some photographs, are also on display.Approximately 600 photographs and 400-600 items of local interest
This 1860s Police Station and Courthouse complex are fine examples of colonial stonemasons' workmanship. The stonework consist of fieldstones (office), bluestone (courthouse), limestone and shingled stables, complete with blinden for windows. The cells have keyed in stonework roofs. Quoins and dressings are of sandstone. The collection consists of memorabilia of former Police Station use; C.J. Dennis ("The Sentimental Bloke" poet); and J. Mellor, stonemason; as well as historic photographs and general archival material.
Hope Cottage is one of three built in 1857 by the Calnan family, later to become known as Faith, Hope and Charity. The Museum holds a collection of photographs, books, shipwreck articles, tractors, engines and farm machinery (some restored to working order). A tower in the grounds carries the light transferred from Tippera Reef to Cape Willoughby in 1922. There is also a working model of a eucalyptus still and a working windmill.A wide variety of different articles from early Kangaroo Island. The cottage has the normal things found in a home in the early days including the first piano...
Electric vehicles provided the main public transport in Adelaide in the five decades from 1909. The Museum has 19 preserved electric trams, which it operates, and also 4 trolley buses, a horse car and a 1950s diesel bus. Street furniture, technical equipment, photographs and memorabilia are featured in the interpretive Display Gallery. Admission includes unlimited rides on the trams operating each open day. The trams run on a 2 kilometre track from the museum to the beach.25 vehicles
A local and social history museum depicting the heritage of Wallaroo. Main themes: copper mining and smelting period (1861-1923) History of the port of Wallaroo since 1861. General local history - sport, entertainment, industry, civic affairs and religion. Located in the first post office building 1865-1910. Has been Museum building since 1975.Over 3,000 exhibits depict the Industrial, Mining, Smelting, Maritime and Social History of the port of Wallaroo. The Museum is also home to the former Tipara Reef Lighthouse (1877-1996) Re-located to the Museum in 2001.
The Museum's collections focus on: the 1894 settler's cottage; the 1910 Congregational church and manse; the AMP Society Land Development; the Gold Escort Route of 1852; and the Wild Dog Fence which saved the fledgling colony of South Australia from failing.Approximately 1,000 items including a feral dog preserved by taxidermist, as well as photographs.
An undercover collection of locomotives and railway vehicles, depicting the history of railways in SA and the Commonwealth Railways. The steam era, railcars and diesel's and all three rail gauges are represented. The museum also contains displays of railway operations and other historic memorabilia associated with railway history.100 railway vehicles, 12,000 photographs and approximately 50,000 documents along with a collection of smaller railway memorabilia, uniforms, clocks, signal lights and signs.
Founded in 1856, the Museum holds collections of natural and cultural history which are among the finest in Australia. Natural history displays of fossils, animals and minerals have an emphasis on South Australian specimens. The Museum's cultural history collections are renowned and include Australian Aboriginal, early Pacific and Ancient Egyptian cultures. The Museum Shop stocks quality merchandise, including Museum publications.The collection at the South Australian Museum has 3,000,000 natural science specimens, 446,000 library items, 100,000 anthropological items, 800 shelf metres of...
The Museum seeks to depict aspects of Lithuanian life and culture, particularly for the benefit of the younger generation. Exhibits include Lithuanian art and crafts, stamps, amber, artefacts and uniforms of free Lithuania's officials.2000 items, 1500 photographs, 2000 books and journals, 50 paintings
The Museum is in the former Railway Station, built in 1885, and adjacent goods shed; it was opened in 1971 the centenary year of Jamestown and district. Items in the Museum Collection have been donated by the local people & they all recall a past way of life. The display highlights people and events unique to Jamestown local people expect the museum to be the custodians of archival items donated by them, so the collection has changed as we have noticed an increasing interest in local and family history.The Museum has a diverse collection of household items and other things connected to...
The Museum presents interpretive displays on the local shipping history, salt industry, and settlement of Troubridge Agricultural Area which includes settlement of Edithburgh and district.Approx 15000 items, 1000 photographs
Former customs and station master's house built in 1866/67 of Georgian style architecture. Four furnished rooms containing historical documents, photographs, pictures, portraits, displays, furniture and furnishings relevant to the early history of the area and its association with an overseas port and latterly with the railways. Shop with National Trust items, books, crafts, jams, souvenirs. The new Encounter Coast Discovery Centre houses a living display of the history of the Encounter Coast area from 1800 to 1900, with fascinating artefacts and audio narrative.
The Museum is housed in Clare's first public building (1851) for Police Barracks and Courthouse. Holds collections of clothing, artefacts, local early records and photographs (copies can be ordered), wagons and farm implements. Clare is one of Australia's important wine producing area with 38 wineries in the area, approx 136km from Adelaide by road.Approx. 2000 photographs pf pioneers - pioneer clothing and domestic farming artefacts.
The Performing Arts collection has a breathtaking, exciting gallimaufry of artefacts representing the rich heritage of the performing arts in this State. The Collection holds over 80,000 acquisitions including programs, posters, photographs, properties, puppets, masks, video tapes, scrapbooks, design models, costumes and much more. It is the result of many generous donations of memorabilia.Approximately 80,000 items
Nestling in the heart of historic Port Adelaide, the South Australian Maritime Museum is an imaginative, contemporary museum spread over three sites. The Museum's main gallery is the 1850s Bond Store which houses three floors of interactive exhibitions bringing to life the maritime history of South Australia. A short walk from the main gallery is the 1869 lighthouse and the Museum's three floating vessels: the steam tug Yelta, the ketch Nelcebee, and the police launch Archie Badenoch.
The South Australian Maritime Museum is a Museum of the History Trust of South Australia.Estimated 20,...
The Museum interprets the story of Goolwa, Currency Creek and Hindmarsh Island from Aboriginal times through European settlement to the present day. The museum contains a large collection of objects relating to the settlement of the Goolwa district from 1840 and includes Aboriginal artefacts, shipping artefacts relating to the Murray-Darling river system and its ocean outlets, and objects illustrating pioneering agricultural and village life from 1840 to the present.Objects related to shipbuilding and community life. Community archival records and shipping records are a major part of the...
Signal Point River Murray Interpretive Centre is housed in modern, purpose-built quarters in the river front historic precinct of Goolwa. The centre is built in the site of the original Murray Mouth Navigational signal Mast/Station. Displays at the centre celebrate the life and times of the "Murray River Trade", and draws attention to environmental and ecological challenges to the inland river system today.Static displays of local and Riverine History, paddle steamer models, inter-active displays of environmental problems, theatre, geomorphological displays on the origins of the...
The contents of the Museum reflect the life of Kapunda through home, work, sport and farming. The Museum covers some 11,000 square feet depicting all aspects of lifestyles and working life in Kapunda. There are important collections relating to copper mining, manufacture of farm implements, the Hawke Foundry and social life. The Kapunda Museum is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, Bagot's Fortune.20,000 items
A magnificent Northern French Romanesque building. Built in 1866 as the Baptist Church with two floors. This is complimented by an extensive undercover display area for the agricultural, industrial and transport history of Kapunda. Bagot's Fortune is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, the Kapunda Museum.Extensive collection of the social, commercial, industrial and agricultural history of Kapunda.
The Museum has been developed in the old One Tree Hill School building, c1854 (previously Uleybury School) as a classroom containing educational furniture and material through the years. There is also a craft shed with displays of children's art/craft. The Museum can be used by schools to show children what schools and teaching were like in the past.photographs and educational specimens

Pages