Archives

The major collection is of over 4,000 works of contemporary art by Australian artists purchased and commissioned mainly during the 1980s when Parliament House was being built. It also includes artworks which are integrated with the architecture of the building and is expressive of Australia's national identity; the Historic Memorials Committee Collection, dates from 1911 and includes some 150 official portraits and paintings of significant events in Australian history and a diverse collection of parliamentary memorabilia including one of the four Magna Carta.Approximately 3,500 items
The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Bicycle Museum is situated within the Canberra Tradesmen's Union Club, which has been developed along the philosophy of a living museum and is characterised by its nostalgic charm and friendly atmosphere. The Museum features over 60 old and unusual bicycles on display at any time. Visitors can relax in the Club and have their photos taken on a Penny-farthing.620 bicycles. We collect maintain store and display items showing the technical and historical development of the cycle over the last 150 years. Bicycles, tricycles, tandems, four seaters, clothing, parts, journals and photos.
The Schoolhouse was built in the early 1840s and operated continuously until 1880 and from 1895 to 1907. The Museum consists of the original schoolroom and five other rooms used as a home for the school Master and his family. In addition to the furnishings and artefacts of the school and the schoolhouse, the Museum has a collection of photographs on display of Canberra in the 19th and early 20th centuries and a collection of objects relating to the history of St John's Church and other churches of the district.approximately 600 items including up to 200 photographs.
ScreenSound Australia, the National Screen and Sound Archive, is the treasure house of Australian audiovisual history. ScreenSound collects and preserves Australia's moving images and sound recordings. Our collection includes a diverse range of material from the 1890s to the present day: from Dame Nellie Melba and The Story of the Kelly Gang to Dame Edna and the Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. For young and old, the door is opened to Australia's story in the 20th Century and into the new millenium.Approx 1 million audio-visual items and 1 million documentation items
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
The Lu Rees Archives is a collection of resources encouraging the study and research of Australian children's literature. The archives is named after Lu Rees, who was the creator of the collection. Her own collection of children's books and manuscripts formed the nucleus of the collection which begun in 1974. In July 1980 this collection was deposited with the University of Canberra Library in Australia and the library has agreed to house, organise and support collection development.The Lu Rees Archives is a significant and unique collection of Australian children's Literature. It holds...
The Polish Historical Institute in Australia aims to locate, collect, catalogue and preserve historical records such as the personal papers of Polish immigrants and Australians of polish descent plus the records of polish organisations in Australia. These records are deposited at the National Library of Australia and access to the collection is through the Manuscripts Reading Room.The Institute's collection comprises records of Polish organisations and papers of some Polish immigrants, including correspondence; minutes of meetings; newsletters and scrapbooks. The Institute has provided...
Established in 1931, the Museum's collection was originally based around the skeleton of the killer whale Old Tom, which is well steeped in local folklore. The Museum's prime theme is the whaling industry. The secondary theme is general maritime and fishing while the third interest is the timber industry and local social history.Artefacts relating to shore-based whaling, the timber industry, fishing and shipping, lighthouse, some agriculture and numerous domestic items, natural history specimens (skeletons, minerals, fossils) maritime artefacts (shipwreck relics, navigational equipment,...
Closed in 1969 as an official teaching establishment, the 1908 weatherboard teacher's residence and one-teacher schoolhouse set in 10 acres of recreation grounds, were restored as a Bicentennial project and the museum was subsequently opened in November 1988. The school site was originally established in 1869. The present school, the second to be built on the site, is fully functional and seats 30 plus primary school age children. Pens, ink, project sheets and teachers' aids are available for use. The school houses a large collection of early kindergarten and primary school text books and...
Camden Historical Society was formed in 1957. It concentrates on the history of the town of Camden and the surrounding district. It developed, and runs, the Camden Historical Museum. The Society publishes a journal and monographs, hold monthly meetings and provides guides to groups visiting the district. It holds an extensive archival collection whch is available to those wishing to undertake research. Membership is about 150; there are no paid staff.The Museum is divided broadly into three parts. The first covers Aboriginal prehistory, early exploration, land grants, the establishment of the...
Designed by world renowned Australian architect Glen Murcutt, the building in which this museum is housed is considered to be the first Australian building. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from the early time of the Aborigines to the present day. It is also a cultural museum, and includes collections on ships and shipping, telecommunications, agriculture, music, sports, leisure and entertainment, photographs, boots and shoes. A furnished settler's cottage is adjacent to the main building.Approximately 10,000 items. The museum traces the history of the Macleay Valley from...
The Powerhouse Museum is located in the Darling Harbour precinct which attracts over eight million visitors a year and was of primary focus in both the 2000 millennium celebrations and the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. The Powerhouse museum opened in 1988 and is positioned as a dynamic, innovative and enjoyable museum which promotes awareness and understanding of the past, present and future of Australian society.

The Powerhouse achieves this through research, scholarship and the acquisition, conservation and presentation of material in the fields of science, technology, industry,...
The museum, originally the Post Office Hotel, is of slab construction, with a puddled iron roof. Built in 1860, it was occupied continuously until 1970, (as a private home since World War I). The museum is furnished as a private home and features extensive photo and gem-rock collections. Other buildings in the grounds include a school and a blacksmith shop.2,000 items; 2,000 photos; 2,000 gems and minerals
This museum documents the history of Wyalong and West Wyalong. Its displays feature early rural machinery, historic photos, colonial household furniture, a mineral, fossil and bottle collection, extensive archives, period costumes, a silver and china collection, war memorabilia and musical exhibits. The museum is housed in a colonial cottage (c.1902).5,000 items; 2,000 photographs
This restored Court House built in 1877 houses a collection of historic photos of Stroud and district. It also displays information on the formation of the Australian Agricultural Company in London in 1824, the farm grant of 500,000 acres on the Port Stephen estate and local and family history.
The Hamilton Hume museum illustrates the development of Yass since the 1820's and includes the life and work of the explorer, Hamilton Hume. The current exhibition "The Parallels" is developed around models of Yass main street 1895, compares that time with 1995 and is illustrated with advertisements, tools and wares. Displays pay tribute to Yass soldiers and nurses 20th Century wars and illustrate a 19th Century shop, parlour and kitchen, rural life and work in a woolshed.Animal husbandry - sheep and wool. Model - Yass main street 1895. Advertising - Yass 1895. Model - rural life...
Local museum with over 4,000 photographs and several books on the Hills District for purchase. The museum conducts local area tours for adults and children. Guest speakers are available. Research facilities for local and family history are also available.2,000 items, 4,000 photographs. Tool collection very good - complete set of wood working tools.

The Mid-Richmond Historical Society Museum is housed in the former Woodburn shire Council Chambers in Adams Street, Coraki. Built in 1912 and used by the council until its amalgamation with Tomki Shire Council to become Richmond River Shire Council.The building contains the Shire Boards, early photographs of the four villages and World War I and II Honour Boards from around the district. Other rooms in the museum house wartime memorabilia, kitchen and laundry items, family photos and many other items of interest. The machinery shed contains a collection of horse drawn implements and other...

The Colonial Inn Museum is located in the old West End Hotel built in 1856, and licensed as a hotel until 1923. It is a two storey building featuring wrought iron lace and pillars manufactured in a Mudgee iron foundry. Some displays have been developed around the building's early usage (eg the bar, parlour, kitchen and a bedroom). There is also an extensive display of farm machinery and horsedrawn vehicles, and general displays of items from Mudgee's past. Family history research is also available.8,000 items

Pages