Furniture

One of the oldest buildings in Victoria, LaTrobe's Cottage was the home of Victoria's first Superintedent and Lt. Governor, Charles La Trobe. The pre-fabricated cottage was brought to Australia from England in 1839.The house contains some original furnishings and many interesting historic artefacts.
Completed in 1890, Labassa is a French Renaissance mansion significant for the relative completeness of its richly decorated and finely executed interiors.300 objects. Labassa features detailed stencilling, rich heavy wallpapers and a grand staircase with a magnificent stained-glass window and rare trompe l'oeil ceiling.
Barwon Grange is an elegant intact brick home dating from Geelong's earliest residential settlement. It was built in 1855 and reflects the asperations of middle class businessman Jonathan Porter O'Brien and his family who had emigrated from Liverpool, U.K. The architecture is picturesque Gothic style with steep gables, unusual decorative timber bargeboards and verandah parapet.The interior contains a fine collection of early Victorian furniture and fittings faithfully accumulated according to an inventory compiled when the house was auctioned in 1856. The garden that complements the house...
Built in 1869 for Thomas and Elizabeth Austin by the Geelong architects Davidson and Henderson, Barwon Park is a majestic 42-room bluestone mansion and stables at Winchelsea.The interiors of the house remain largely in original condition. The fine plaster decoration in the elegantly proportioned principal rooms is noteworthy. The grand staircase is also a striking feature which resonates with the glory of Victoria's pastoral heritage.
The mission of the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) is to be an independent membership organisation committed to the conservation of our heritage by our own action and by involvement and education of the community. Tasma Terrace is the principal office and is open weekdays, 9.00am to 5.00pm for enquiries, joining the trust and purchase of books and gifts. It is not however a museum property.The National Trust of Australia (Victoria) manages and opens the doors of many significant historical properties and gardens across Victoria. See separate Guide entries for Como Historic House and...
Como is one of few surviving large suburbab estates, dating from 1847, just over 10 years after European settlement of the Port Phillip district. For 95 years it was owned by the Armytage family, prominent graziers and well known members of Melbourne society. Much of their original furniture is in the house today. The house is surrounded by 6.5 acres of beautiful gardens.Approximtely 1500 pieces of furniture and decorative arts objects, mostly original to the Armytage family's period of ownership. (1864 - 1959)
The Kyneton Museum collection is housed in a group of buildings, the most substantial of which was built in 1856 from local bluestone for the infant Bank of New South Wales. The branch was opened to service miners of the region's goldfields. Original outbuildings include kitchens, celler and stables, and these have been augmented by various outbuildings including an original settlers cottage which was relocated here in 1970. The outbuildings house the extensive agricultural display, whilst the kitchen and laundry show authentic household utensils. An original settler's cottage 'Theaden' is...
Bundoora Homestead is a magnificent Queen Anne style Federation building registered by Heritage Victoria and certified by The National Trust. The Gallery hosts a year round exhibition program that includes both contemporary and earlier fine and decorative arts. The café at Bundoora Homestead offers a lunch menu.Bundoora Homestead displays temporary and permanent exhibitions. The collection consists of historical objects relating to the history of the homestead.
The Museum collection is housed in the old Esperance Railway Station building. It was officially opened in October 1976 and is staffed entirely by volunteers. Items from the wreckage of Skylab which crashed to earth near Esperance in 1979, a WAGR steam locomotive, exhibits from Sir Douglas Mawson's Antarctic expedition, a large agricultural machinery display, items from shipwrecks and items from early settlements make up a fascinating collection of exhibits. Restoration, accession, database, archival and display programmes are carried out.Estimated 4,000 items. Physical and documentary...
The Monsignor Hawes Priest House Museum is run by a small group of parish volunteers. The museum is situated at the side of the local Catholic church which was also built by the priest Architect Monsignor JC Hawes during his tenue as Priest to the local community of Mullewa a small wheat belt town situated 500kms north-east of Perth. This Museum and church plays a central part of the Monsignor Hawes Heritage trail.The Mons. Hawes Priest House collection contains items of furniture, library books and vestments used by Mons. Hawes, the collector also contains architectural designs, note books,...
This eleven room wattle and daub cottage built circa 1832 consists of an entry, box room, parlour, nursery, bedroom, dining room, family room, sewing room, kitchen, laundry and side verandah. Appropriate artefacts covering several eras are in the various rooms, with display cases in every room. Set in a neat garden surroundsAccessioned photographs number 8,000. Accessioned artworks number 500. There are some 7,000 artifacts of all types.
Two storey building of stone, constructed in 1870 by the Peninsular and Oriental Steamship Navigation Company as a Cooperative Society Store for their goods, employees and families. From circa 1885 the building had a variety of uses - as a printery, soft drink factory, lodging house, apartments, and railway employees barracks (1973-1991). Extra rooms and a verandah were added circa 1935. It is currently leased to Albany Historical Society and used as a storage museum for the artefacts, visual art and photography not on display. Accessioning, conservation of artefacts, administration and...
Chiverton House is a community museum; its collection reflects changing lifestyles influenced by mining (1848-1950). The building, histories and collections relating to Capt Samuel Mitchell and his family provide a link to the convicts and Lynton Hiring Station (1853-56), the railway (1879-1957), pastoral and farming development (1850 onwards) and the local effects of events such as depressions and wars.4,000 objects include house (as operating home) objects, farm machinery (some restored) 1,000 photos include local families, identities, property homes and events.
Situated in the main street of Wyalkatchem, the main museum building is a 1936 Wheat Bin. Bulk handling of wheat originated in the Shire of Wyalkatchem and the wheat bin is the oldest in preservation and is a museum piece on its own. Most items have been restored and are still operational. Some interesting "as is" items are also on display. A second shed, partly built from materials recycled from a demolished Wheat bin holds a 40 restored tractor collection. The yard also has a variety of equipment. The domestic collection, "The School House Museum" is in the process of re...
Built C1852 as part of Convict Hiring Depot, later extended for use by Resident Magistrate. Taken over in 1902 by the State Health Department and included in the hospital complex until 1963. Vacant until 1969 when restored by the York Society for establishment of the museum.The development of York from 1831, including surrounding area. Reflects changes in York society and lifestyle since settlement. Large photographic collection.
Very early suburban development in Perth, Western Australia with interesting variety of architecture in the area, colourful history, strong local community awareness.
Building - 1923 heritage building, originally an electrical sub-station. Became the Subiaco Museum in 1975, with five gallery spaces.The scope is limited to the geographical area of the city of Subiaco, taking in the suburbs of Subiaco, Shenton Park, Jolimont and Daglish. However the scope is wide in terms of time and in its coverage of all aspects of local cultural history. Social change eg The "Gentrification"...
Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls.

The kitchen...
The Museum is housed in the Old Police Station, Prison and Courthouse complex. The building was erected in 1870, with extensions being completed in 1873. The original building comprised a court room, police station, cell block and living quarters, and was built from locally-quarried limestone; the walls are some 450mm thick, constructed in the coarse random rubble style. The roof, which was originally wooden shingle, has been replaced by corrugated iron. A sample of the original shingles is displayed in the exhibition.

The Irwin District Historical Society have another museum...
The building is the first permanent Courthouse in the Eastern Goldfields. It is part of the block of government buildings which is comprised of the Courthouse, Mining Registrar Offices and residences, Post Office and Residences. Construction commenced in 1892. The foundations are of local stone cemented together with mud. The walls are of locally made mud bricks.
Located in the grounds of the Old Timers Village the Museum is half way between Alice Springs CBD and the airport. Old Timers began in the early 1950's as part of Rev Dr John Flynn's dream of, "a mantle of safety" for people of the inland, a place where they could retire in comfort and receive medical attention. Today it consists of nursing home, hostel, independent living units, day therapy centre and Museum.

It was the dream of another man in the 1960's that saw the Museum created. Then manager of Old Timers, John Blakeman, concerned that the history of Central...

Pages