Furniture

Historic Houses Trust NSW administors 13 heritage listed properties in NSW which contain collections dating from the late 18th century to present day.
The properties are: Rose Seidler House, Rouse Hill Estate, Elizabeth Bay House, Elizabeth Farm, Hyde Park Barracks, Museum of Sydney, Vaucluse House, Justice and Police Museum, Meroogal, Susannah Place, Government House, Lyndhurst Resource Centre. The Historic Houses Trust also administers The Mint building on Macquarie St, but it is not open to the public.See separate Guide entries for collection details.
The museum celebrates the history of one of NSW's most significant local mines. Its focus is on the Richmond Main Colliery, the Brown family and John Brown who established the mine, and the union/social history associated with the mine from its inception in the early 1900s to 1967 when it closed. The buildings on the site give the park a unique atmosphere and are in varying states of preservation. The Richmond Vale Railway Museum is also on site and offers regular steam train rides from Richmond Main to Pelaw MainThe museum is a display on the history of the Richmond Main Colliery....
Tarella Historic Cottage is in its original condition. In 1879 John McLaughlin was granted 50 acres in the Blue Mountains in recognition of his service in the NSW Volunteer Force. The grant is on Cox's Road at the site of 'Hobby's Reach', the stretch of road constructed by LT. Hobby in Cox's absence. In C.1886 John McLaughlin built Tarella as a holiday home for his family, and it was in the family's ownership until 1988 when the last remaining daughter Beryl (there being no issue) bequeathed the cottage, the contents and the remaining three acres to the Blue Mountains Historical Society. A...
The Liverpool Museum was established in 1989 and aims to preserve and promote Liverpool's history and cultural heritage through historical collections, exhibitions and public programs. They explore changing cultural experiences of local people - ways of living, working and believing (in workplaces, homes and communities).

Items from the past are used extensively in Museum exhibitions and public programs - community addresses, education programs and publications.

The Museum includes historic Collingwood House, which dates from 1810 and was the home of Nantucket whaling...
The Museum of the Riverina has two impressive sites. The first is situated in the former Historic Council Chambers, built in 1881, and converted in 1998 to function as a museum facility. This site is used as a meeting venue - in the former chamber - and as a venue for hosting a regular program of travelling exhibitions.

The second site, adjacent to the Botanic Gardens, was formerly run by the Wagga Wagga & District Historical Society, and opened in 1965. The site was renovated and reopened in September 2001 and contains internal exhibitions and a number of outbuildings. The...
The museum houses the work of the Millthorpe and District Historical Society, who have spent thirty-six years collecting, conserving and displaying district records, artefacts, farm equipment, family history and photographs and domestic appliances. The Society provides Family History research, copies of portraits and material. They promote local history through special events, host family reunions, provide access for school excursions and coach tours, and undertake fund-raising ventures for capital improvements to the museum property.The collection includes; farm machinery, an important...
Collection of photographs of early fishing, timber and shipping industries in the area. Files of early pioneer families and local history. Early timber-working tools and domestic artefacts.1910 Heritage listed post office building; artefacts pertaining to the area. Emphasis on collecting old photographs and local history research

Riversdale, built about 1840 as a coaching inn and residence is a fine example of a single-storey Colonial Georgian cottage set in flowering gardens. The property was purchased in 1875 by Edward Twynam, later to become Surveyor General of NSW and remained in this family until acquired by the Trust in 1967.Riversdale is renowned for its collection of fine Australian Colonial furniture, arts and craft dating from the late nineteenth century and the delightful garden.

The Blue Mountains Historical Society's premises are on the site of a 50 acre grant of land to John McLaughlin, a Sydney solicitor and member of the Legislative Council in 1879. This historic cottage, "Tarella", which was built by him in 1890, is the oldest cottage on the northern side of Wentworth Falls. The cottage rooms are set up in the period of the early 1900s with many items belonging to the McLaughlin family, who were the sole owners prior to the BMHS ownership in 1988.

The modern premises consist of the Research Centre, which holds over 10,000 local records of...
The Powerhouse Museum Research Library collection, services and staff expertise provide a rich research resource for museum staff, library visitors and colleagues in the cultural sector. The Research Library collection dates from the establishment of the museum in 1880. The collection is diverse and reflects the changing research requirements from the past and anticipates future research needs. The library collects to support exhibition development, publication production, education programmes, museology and corporate information needs.The research Library collection reflects the interests...
The NSW Schoolhouse Museum is housed in the first school buildings of North Ryde Public School. The original schoolroom was built in 1877 and started with 45 children. A second room was added in 1893 and two further rooms were added in 1910. Each room, and the differences evident in their architecture, reflect the philosophy of education of each period - from the church-like appearance of the earliest room to the curved corners of the 1910 rooms designed to minimise dust.

The rooms have been authentically restored and furnished with original school furniture items together with...
Nine buildings housing items of historical interest to Walcha and the surrounding district. There is the Museum, Original Pioneer Cottage, Wool Museum, Tiger Moth Aeroplane Hangar. Walcha is situated on the Southern New England Tablelands and was discovered in 1818 and settled from 1832 - 1839. The local history centre houses an extensive collection of maps, books, ledgers, photographs and memorabilia about Walcha and the surrounding districts.Local community archival records and photographs, clothing collection, small Aboriginal artefact collection and Dendroglyph plus pioneer and...
The Museum was the old Muttaburra Hospital. Half of the Museum is a medical museum (as it was); the other half focuses on the local area, displaying the history of Muttaburra and places of interest.Approximately 1200 items and approximately 200 photographs
Pioneer Cottage is a house museum, built in c.1880 of local cedar and beech by the pioneer John Kerle Burnett. Structurally unaltered, the rooms and furnishings are arranged as used by the Burnetts. On display are many household items that were in everyday use. The Burnett family lived in the cottage for more than seventy years. The displays reflect their early lifestyle and the living alterations they made as times changed. The Sibyl Vise Museum Room provides visitors with the opportunity to browse through photographs and read about the history of Buderim. At the rear of the cottage a slab...
The museum is situated in ten hectares of parkland and houses a vast display of mining era memorabilia: housing, dairy display, mining equipment etc. It also features a railway museum and a light horse museum. The winding engine operates under steam a minimum of four times a year.Over 4,000 items
The building was built in 1888. The collection features old vintage vehicles, household furniture, tools and other domestic artefacts illustrating life in the Charleville district.Estimate 600 items
The stone house was constructed in the 1880s. The Museum features local historical items of interest, including photographs, machinery, communications and cultural materials from the local area.The Stone House, The Fossil Museum, The Howard Cottage with photographs, medical and local items, rural items.
The village consists of over 60 buildings of Historical Significance to the Caboolture Shire and Environs. All the buildings are appropriately furnished or used for other useful and interesting purposes. The site also includes restored machinery and vehicles, some in good working condition.Approximately 14,000 items catalogued

1892 Country Post Office and Residence, furnished country Dance Hall, large lace collection, household requirements used from the turn of the 20th Century, early 1900 farm implements, Blacksmith shop and tools, cheese making equipment, World War 2 memorabilia, shepherds hut, country school building and much, much moreLarge lace collection, World War II Memorabilia, photographs, farm machinery, circa 1900 buildings, picnic area, BBQ, Cheese making equipment, Blacksmith shop and tools.

The Stock Exchange, a grand masonry building on the main street, was built as The Royal Arcade in 1888. The Stock Exchange occupied the building in 1890.

The Assay Room is at the rear and contains items associated with mining history.Small collection of items, specimens, photographs and leases

Pages