Prisons or Convicts

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and women who have served in war, through its ceremonial areas, extensive exhibitions and research facilities. The focus of commemoration is the Hall of Memory, together with the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier, the Pool of Reflection and the Roll of Honour that lists the names of over 102,000 Australians who have died in war.

The Memorial is internationally recognised for its exhibitions, that cover over 12,000 square metres, which present stories of Australia's military history from colonial times to...
The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (Archives of Business and Labour) is a nationally significant collection of primary source material relating to business and labour. The NBAC holds archives of industrial organisations, businesses, professional associations, industry bodies and the labour movement. It makes them available for research and use by the University and the wider community.Scope: National; size: 13km of shelf space; strengths: Trade Union & Labour Archives, Business Archives, National Aids Archives Collection, Organisation Archives
The museum inhabits two colonial courthouses and a Police Station built between 1856-1886. It contains the historic NSW Police Museum collection which was established in 1910.Many of the artefacts concern crime, social history, Police, law and popular culture from bongs to batons to Judges wigs and bushrangers' firearms. It also showcases weird and wonderful relics from notorious crimes such as the Shark Arm Murder, the Pyjama Girl Case and the Thorne Kidnapping, as well as many original objects associated with such legendary bushrangers as Frank Gardiner, Ben Hall, Captain Moonlite and...
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
The Museum is housed in former Silverton Gaol (1889) and warden's residence and hospital room. Police Station and Gaol closed in 1943. The Broken Hill Historical Society opened a museum on the premises in 1968. There are now over 14 rooms of exhibits plus an outside area.Large photographic collection - local, community & mining archival records. Sporting photographic collection - old mining machinery, old household objects; early clothing, band memorabilia; lodges' regalia.
The European settlement of Norfolk Island was founded in 1788 and the history of the island's European development has strong links to the Colonial development of NSW and Van Dieman's Land. Norfolk Island served as a convict settlement from 1788-1814 and again from 1825-1855 and was noted as a place of extreme punishment. In 1856, after the close of the second penal settlement, Norfolk Island became the home of 194 settlers from Pitcairn Island. These people were the direct descendants of the Bounty mutineers and they brought with them traditions, customs and language derived from their...
The museum is housed in The Old Narrabri Gaol which is listed on the National Estate Register and classified by the National Trust. Exhibits are mounted in the cells, exercise yards and outbuildings. They consist mainly of historical items associated with life in the town of Narrabri and surrounding district.100,000+ file reference cards to local people, photographs, local newspapers from late 1800s and on microfilm, World War memorabilia, family history records, and burial records.
The Museum is housed in the former Wollombi Court House (1866). The exhibits are of a wide variety and reflect everyday life in the area. There are item relating for farming and mining as well as many household items. A major part of the collection is devoted to clothing. Another feature is the Wyndham collection, which consists of books, clothing, china, postcards, photos and furniture donated by the Wyndham family. The rear of the building has two cells used to house prisoners. The judges bench houses a growing photographic collection of the life and time of the area. Restored in 1954...
The cells of the former gaol are set up as a folk museum. Exhibits include clothing, telecommunications equipment, kitchen items, hospital equipment, Aboriginal artefacts, bottles and jars, musical instruments, guns and pistols, general artefacts, tools and implements and larger items.Over 3000 items and 7000 photographs
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
Berrima Museum is located in the historic village of Berrima, NSW, mid-way between Sydney and Canberra. The museum is managed and operated by volunteers of Berrima District Historical and Family History Society Inc, founded in 1960. Berrima Museum has been described as one of the best volunteer run museums in New South Wales. Its Mittagong archives contain an extensive collection of the history of the Berrima District, known today as the Wingecarribee Shire. Support material for the museum's displays is sourced from the archives. The museum was established in 1976 following the donation by...
This Georgian building was designed by the convict architect Francis Greenway as sleeping quarters of 600 male convicts (1819-1848). Subsequently it housed immigrant girls and asylum women (1848-1886) and legal offices and courts eventually occupied the entire site (1887-1979). It has been refurbished as a museum about itself, and its displays include relics, pictures, plans and models exploring the sites past and present. A special feature is reconstructed convict dormitories, which are periodically available to sleep in overnight, with a convict breakfast served at dawn. The building...
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.
Tocal Homestead is a collection of buildings dating from the 1820s including Webber's Cottage (1822), Blacksmith shop (1820s), Stone Barn (1830), Tocal Homestead (1841), Brick Stables (1860s) and Blacket Barn (1868). The Homestead itself, as with the out buildings, has remained virtually unchanged since its construction. The site also has evidence of Aboriginal inhabitants. The property Tocal originally operated as a sheep and horticultural enterprise, later becoming famous for its stud cattle and thoroughbred race horses Other features of the site include a bottle collection, graves,...
The museum is located in the unused refreshment rooms and staff accommodation areas of the heritage listed Mt Victoria Railway Station. The museum's collection contains early Australian memorabilia, local artefacts and the documented history of the districts early settlers. A collection of railway refreshment room memorabilia and a collection of artefacts recovered during the archaeological investigation of the Cox's River convict stockade are featured in the display.The collection comprises some 2,000 objects and 1,000 photographs. Farm machinery, household items furniture and paintings,...
Since its opening in 1968, the Gundagai Museum has displayed a wealth of historical memorabilia depicting a life that was both hard and gracious. Special exhibits include Phar Lap's saddlecloth, the shirt worn by Banjo Patterson's Kiley of Kileys Run and the assayer's bowl used by US President Herbert Hoover. The museum also features displays on bushrangers; Melba XV; the famous Gundagai cow; and Aboriginal hero Yarri. Other items in its collection include scaled models of early buildings and historical photographs and documents.Approximately 10,000 items of historical memorabilia
The museum is devoted to the preservation of all manner of items from the railways of New South Wales, including the Dorrigo Branch line. There are currently 57 locomotives, 300 carriages and wagons and thousands of small exhibits. Work continues on preparing the site for the display of trains and carriages. While no date has been determined for the official opening there are plans to have open days when the public will have the opportunity to view the exhibits. Totally volunteer organisation with 700 members, membership details available on request.The largest preserved railway...
The front building of the Museum was originally used as a house dating from 1842. It is the only remaining house building in the CBD area of Port Macquarie from that era.
All artefacts on display show development from convict beginnings to early settlement from the 1840s. Displays at the museum include; a 'street of shops' depicting life as it was in the 1800s and a prize-winning costume collection. The museum has been in operation for over 40 years and is the winner of awards for best museum.More than 20,000 items collected over a period of 40 years. Artefacts from all aspects of Port...
5 hectare Japanese Garden including two lakes, tea house, bonsai house, pottery house, cottage, restaurant and cultural centre. Cultural Centre includes three galleries of exhibits of Nanga paintings, dolls, kimonos, masks, ceramics and many items relevant to Japanese arts and culture. Cultural events include Sakura Matsuri (Cherry Blossom Festival 2nd weekend in October every year).Three galleries of exhibits including Nanga paintings, dolls, kimonos, masks, ceramics and 5 hectare garden including tea house, bonsai house and pottery house.
Constructed in the 1870's The Old Dubbo Gaol served as a penal institution until 1966. Fully restored to its original condition, the gaol was re-opened as an historic and educational tourist attraction in 1974. The Gaol is home to Australia's 3rd largest collection of taking/animated models which give a realistic and fascinating insight into prison life. The gaol boasts a large display of historical artefacts including an original set of gallows and a full hangman's kit.Original gallows - freestanding in Gaol yard. Full Hangman's kit (believed to be only one of two in existence in Australia...

Pages