Mt Victoria and District Historical Society Museum

Mt Victoria and District Historical Society Museum

The museum is located in the unused refreshment rooms and staff accommodation areas of the heritage listed Mt Victoria Railway Station. The museum's collection contains early Australian memorabilia, local artefacts and the documented history of the districts early settlers. A collection of railway refreshment room memorabilia and a collection of artefacts recovered during the archaeological investigation of the Cox's River convict stockade are featured in the display.

Address: 
Station Street, Mt Victoria, NSW
Tel: 
0247871210
Hours: 
2pm-5pm Sat, Sun and school holidays, or by appointment (closed Christmas Day and Good Friday)
Admission: 
Adults $2, children 50c
Facilities: 
Wheelchair access to ground floors, shop, guided tours
Collection: 
The collection comprises some 2,000 objects and 1,000 photographs. Farm machinery, household items furniture and paintings, photographs of people, buildings and places are included in the objects on display.
Share

Items

Memorabilia

Railway Refreshment Memorabilia

Railway Refreshment Memorabilia
Creator:
Various
Description:
Collection of some 200 items of cutlery, china, glassware, silverware and napery
Date:
1920's - 1970's
Item Id Number:
1522-1528

The collection is a fine example of the refreshment room services during the peak of rail travel.

Water filter

Creator:
Slack and Brownlow, Canning Works, Manchester
Description:
Stoneware compressed charcoal water filter, 600mm by 280mm diameter.
Date:
1830
Item Id Number:
1296

Player piano

Description:
Pushed on over standard piano keyboard to form player.
Date:
circa 1900
Item Id Number:
865

Used externally over standard piano keyboard, forerunner of todays player piano. Wooden frame with provision for piano roller and foot pedals for pump control.

Harrow

Creator:
Hand made by Pat Cullen
Description:
Handmade wooden harrow with steel prongs. Used by earliest settlers in district. Made of Hardwood timber frame bound at each corner with fencing wire. Fitted with 26 steel (hand forged) spikes.
Date:
circa 1830's
Item Id Number:
646

The Harrow was used by the early settlers in the Kanimbla Valley in the vicinity of Cullenbenbong on Pat Cullens farm.