Rural Life

The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The Museum focuses on local history and the community culture of Shellharbour City. Collections include; Aboriginal culture, pioneering industries of dairy farming with ancillary industries of coal mining, tanneries and coach building. The centre point of the museum is a bronze bust of Caroline Chisholm, 'The Emigrants Friend', who settled some 23 families to Shellharbour in 1843.
The 2004 exhibition 'The Built Environment of Shellharbour City', will open 24th April, to coincide with The National Trust 'Heritage Festival'. This exhibition will encompass man made structures such as...
'Addington' is Australia's oldest remaining settlers cottage, pre-dating 1800. The house contains a collection of regional historic memorabilia, particularly memorabilia relating to Boy Scout and Girl Guide activity within the Ryde and surrounding districts.
The Great Lakes Historical Museum has a fine display of historic buildings from the Great Lakes area including the original National Bank at Forster (a 1940's cottage); the Tuncurry Public school, built in 1886; the Cheers family cottage, built in the 1940s; and the original Tuncurry police station lock-up which was used from 1948-59. In the grounds of the museum there is a typical 1960's fishing boat, a working windmill which pumps water for our lawns and various artefacts relating to the local history. The buildings have all been fully refurbished and contain interesting displays. The...
The museum is in a granite 2 storeyed building - the Royal Hotel 1845. It was owned by surveyor James Larmer who accompnied Mitchell on exploration trips and surveyed all the South East of the colony. The building was bought by Grand United Order of Oddfellows in 1882 and two large halls were added for meetings and balls. It is situated in the main street of Braidwood, a National Trust town. There is a speaker or excursion each month, an annual dinner in June.2100 artefacts, 900 photographs are of local origin. A unique attraction is the Nomchong collection. This family were traders in the...
The Pioneer Women's hut is a small national museum run by volunteers and representing working class rural women (farm and town) and their families. The collection reflects everyday life and is shown in changing displays on themes such as: Coping With Flies; Mondays; Time For Fancywork; Hidden Lives.1700 objects, 300 magazines, 200 books
McCrossin's Mill Museum and function centre is owned and operated by volunteers of Uralla Historical Society. The superbly restored three-storey flour mill houses many exhibitions, each with a distinctive, sometimes even humorous flavour. Visitors are astonished to find such a "Professional" set up in the quaint village of Uralla. Population 2,500. They also love the mill's beautifully maintained gardens, and the "Death of Thunderbolt" Painting series.Major features: Chinese Artefacts, "Death of Thunderbolt paintings", Thunderbolt Exhibition, Corporal Cecil...
Established in 1872, this is the oldest operating foundry in Australia. It is famous for its production of iron lace, ornamental and other castings. It also has an extensive collection of cedar patterns and early blacksmiths' and founders' tools. The entire foundry is in original working condition and is a fascinating industrial relic.Industrial Design, metalwork, woodwork, archaeology and antiquities, archives, cultural heritage, domestic items and technology, education and schools, images, local history, professions and trades, rural life, social history, engineering, horse-drawn...
The building which houses the Museum is heritage trust listed. It's collection is very basic at the moment.100 items
Berrima Museum is located in the historic village of Berrima, NSW, mid-way between Sydney and Canberra. The museum is managed and operated by volunteers of Berrima District Historical and Family History Society Inc, founded in 1960. Berrima Museum has been described as one of the best volunteer run museums in New South Wales. Its Mittagong archives contain an extensive collection of the history of the Berrima District, known today as the Wingecarribee Shire. Support material for the museum's displays is sourced from the archives. The museum was established in 1976 following the donation by...
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.
Built in 1895, this two-storey former hotel opened as a museum in 1971. There are 22 rooms housing turn of the century fashions, furnishing and artefacts. Features include a kitchen; laundry; slab school house and historic machinery displayed in the grounds.600 varied items; 1 ha. machinery items
Volunteer organisation housed in historic bank building, locally heritage listed. The collection comprises items and memorabilia donated by the local community. All relate to the area's agricultural and dairying past and to Berry's origins as an estate town of Coolangatta Estate. There is a good collection of early twentieth century photographs (some original) taken locally; and records relating to local families are maintained. The building which houses the collection (rented from Council) is a former ESA bank building designed by nineteenth century architect William W Wardell. It...
The Bega Valley Regional Gallery has a balanced program of exhibits ranging from the traditional to the highly abstract. The permanent collection incorporates the work of artists such as John Downton, Albert Namatjira and Hilda Rix Nicholas.90 works
Housed in a 1900s weatherboard school house, the Museum numbers over 4,000 items, representing the rural and coal fields heritage of the region. Its two classrooms still contain original fittings, such as desks and forms, blackboards, and wall maps to retain the character and function of the building. Items displayed range from buttons to pianos and organs. Rare and old books dating from the 1830s are a feature. The collection is typical of any country town, depicting the typical lifestyle of the region from the 1920s.4,000 items, 400 photographs, 100 postcards, 400 books
The building was purpose built 30 years ago and houses many items depicting the every day rural life in the Hunter Valley. These include carriages, carts, horse drawn hearse, ploughing implements, implements used for wine making, butter making, various tools, household items, washing machines, sewing machines, lamps, irons, musical instruments, a rock collection, and much more.
A small museum with a very comprehensive display of historical photos relevant to Yamba's history, some working models (eg. the lighthouse, the railway which was used to build Yamba's breakwater walls), some artefacts and a large quantity of reading material (newspaper cuttings, historical books etc).850 historical artefacts; 300 books; over 1,000 photographs, plus ten photograph albums and ten volumes of newspaper cuttings
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.
Tocal Homestead is a collection of buildings dating from the 1820s including Webber's Cottage (1822), Blacksmith shop (1820s), Stone Barn (1830), Tocal Homestead (1841), Brick Stables (1860s) and Blacket Barn (1868). The Homestead itself, as with the out buildings, has remained virtually unchanged since its construction. The site also has evidence of Aboriginal inhabitants. The property Tocal originally operated as a sheep and horticultural enterprise, later becoming famous for its stud cattle and thoroughbred race horses Other features of the site include a bottle collection, graves,...
The main museum building was Mullumbimby's first post office, built in timber in 1907, which was relocated to its present site in 1984. Summers Park in which the museum buildings and external exhibits are located, has a replica slab cottage, a large collection of horse drawn farm implements, and equipment from the local railway, water supply facility and brick works. Mullumbimby is the service centre for the Brunswick Valley and lies in the heart of the Byron Shire. A monthly market is held in Summers Park on the third Saturday of each month.The Museum houses a general collection of local...

Pages