New England Brass and Iron Lace Foundry Museum

Established in 1872, this is the oldest operating foundry in Australia. It is famous for its production of iron lace, ornamental and other castings. It also has an extensive collection of cedar patterns and early blacksmiths' and founders' tools. The entire foundry is in original working condition and is a fascinating industrial relic.

Address: 
6 East Street, Uralla, NSW
Tel: 
0267785065
Hours: 
Most days 9.00am - 5.00pm.
Admission: 
Self-guided visit $3.30, Guided tours for groups $4.40
Facilities: 
Wheelchair access, shop, guided tour, demonstrations, bronze gift shop,
Collection: 
Industrial Design, metalwork, woodwork, archaeology and antiquities, archives, cultural heritage, domestic items and technology, education and schools, images, local history, professions and trades, rural life, social history, engineering, horse-drawn transport, industry, manufacturing, science and technology, steam machinery, tools.
Share

Items

Forge

Blacksmiths Shop

Blacksmiths Shop
Creator:
Christopher Andrew Young
Description:
Area of 10 metres x 6 metres, includes brick forge and elephant hide bellows and spring hammer.
Date:
1872

The forge is in constant use by our blacksmith, we gather the charcoal locally.

Pouring Floor

Pouring Floor

Pouring Floor
Creator:
126 years of burnt sand
Description:
Area approximately 12 metres x 9 metres with black sand floor.
Date:
1872 on

The area where sand moulds are made, dried in core oven and then poured with molten metal.

Overhead Gear

Overhead Gear

Overhead Gear
Creator:
Henry Sheldon Goddard
Description:
Main shaft supporting wooden pulleys and leather belts providing power to machinery.
Date:
1872

Steam engine removed when electricity came to Uralla 1938. Taken away to "Kingston Station", brought back to foundry in 1952 and melted down for scrap. All of the museums machines still work off overhead gear.

Delivery Vehicle

Willy's Overland 1924

Willy's Overland 1924
Creator:
Willy's Car Company (Chrysler)
Description:
Originally a car cut down into a utility
Date:
1924

The back of the car was cut off (still here) to turn it into a utility and therefore a commercial vehicle. This meant that they did not have to pay fuel excise imposed after WWI.

Cedar Patterns

Cedar Patterns

Cedar Patterns
Creator:
Pattern Maker
Description:
Wooden carved pattern to use in sand moulding/ cast iron
Date:
1872-1939

These hand carved patterns were made in the foundry by 5 full-time pattern makers (master craftsmen) employed 1872-1900