Social History Museum

Four Buildings (two over 100 years old) house clothing, household goods, some office equipment, machinery and tools used by past residents. The Museum also contains many photos, papers account books diaries, newspapers and a few recent publications on the history of Barraba.5,000 items, approximately 800 photographs
The Museum is housed in the former Wollombi Court House (1866). The exhibits are of a wide variety and reflect everyday life in the area. There are item relating for farming and mining as well as many household items. A major part of the collection is devoted to clothing. Another feature is the Wyndham collection, which consists of books, clothing, china, postcards, photos and furniture donated by the Wyndham family. The rear of the building has two cells used to house prisoners. The judges bench houses a growing photographic collection of the life and time of the area. Restored in 1954...
The cells of the former gaol are set up as a folk museum. Exhibits include clothing, telecommunications equipment, kitchen items, hospital equipment, Aboriginal artefacts, bottles and jars, musical instruments, guns and pistols, general artefacts, tools and implements and larger items.Over 3000 items and 7000 photographs
It is a fine example of a local history museum, well housed in premises attached to the Hunters Hill Town Hall, with objects displayed mainly in glass cabinets. The archives section is unfortunately very small, comprising shelving and steel filing cabinets. Files are kept in archive boxes, on book shelves and in the standard office type filing cabinets. The collection (material objects and ephemera) reflects aspects of local community life and environment. Hunters Hill, sometimes referred to as the "French Village", is a garden suburb of Sydney, where Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers...
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
The nostalgia of railways comes alive at this hands on action museum, with over 7000 exhibits. Special features include mini train rides; and a working HO model train layout; a rural museum with working displays of vintage farm machinery, tractors and engines; and a war museum displaying historic militaria, combat vehicles, weapons, medals and working steam engines. The Museum also holds a large Cowra prisoner of war display.10,000 items
The museum was built in 1872 of bricks made in Brewarrina. In June 1999 the museum will move down the street into the bowling club building, with tourism and information.Approx 1000 items and 400 photos. Items of local history are on display behind the courthouse once used as lock-up keeper's residence and connected to the rear of the courtroom.
The museum contains an extensive collection of aeronautical items: aircraft engines, a paratroop scooter, Air Force flying and survival articles, badges, insignia and medals from all countries and time periods. The museum also has many uniforms and items of equipment - cameras, compasses, aircraft instrument panels, models of aircraft, ships and tanks, and radio and photographic articles.Armstrong Siddley and cylinder radial aircraft engine, A/S Mamba jet Engine, 3 ejector seats, 2,000 world badges and insignia, medals. 200 plus uniforms, 200 plus helmets, hats and caps. Cameras, Compasses,...
A large 24 room folk museum established in the old Glen Innes Hospital. Land of the Beardies houses a very wide and representative collection of objects, artefacts and documents dating back to early settlement in the 1840s. It also provides an outside machinery exhibit and an archive and research centre with over 200,000 references.Over 10,000 items
The complex incorporates three interesting collections and some outdoor exhibits. The Lady Denman museum blends European, aboriginal and maritime history with thematic displays on such topics as European discovery, early settlement, shipbuilding, shipwrecks, lighthouses, timber-getting, the Naval College and whaling. The Surveyor's Gallery features a world class collection of surveying equipment and tools. The Museum of Jervis Bay, Science and the Sea displays maritime artefacts, including navigational equipment from the mid 1700s to the discovery of Jervis Bay, cutlasses, swords,...
The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The Museum focuses on local history and the community culture of Shellharbour City. Collections include; Aboriginal culture, pioneering industries of dairy farming with ancillary industries of coal mining, tanneries and coach building. The centre point of the museum is a bronze bust of Caroline Chisholm, 'The Emigrants Friend', who settled some 23 families to Shellharbour in 1843.
The 2004 exhibition 'The Built Environment of Shellharbour City', will open 24th April, to coincide with The National Trust 'Heritage Festival'. This exhibition will encompass man made structures such as...
The museum's local history collection includes furniture, clothing, books, china, machinery and photos. These items are displayed in a bedroom, parlour and sewing room of a 1920s house and in an extension. Separate rooms have been devoted to materials from the Returned Service League and to the writer Miles Franklin. A large machinery shed holds agricultural equipment and large domestic machinery. School photos and memorabilia are also available.Collection covers items and information believed relevant to the history of Tumut and district. Textiles of the last century including articles worn...
The Great Lakes Historical Museum has a fine display of historic buildings from the Great Lakes area including the original National Bank at Forster (a 1940's cottage); the Tuncurry Public school, built in 1886; the Cheers family cottage, built in the 1940s; and the original Tuncurry police station lock-up which was used from 1948-59. In the grounds of the museum there is a typical 1960's fishing boat, a working windmill which pumps water for our lawns and various artefacts relating to the local history. The buildings have all been fully refurbished and contain interesting displays. The...
The Pioneer Women's hut is a small national museum run by volunteers and representing working class rural women (farm and town) and their families. The collection reflects everyday life and is shown in changing displays on themes such as: Coping With Flies; Mondays; Time For Fancywork; Hidden Lives.1700 objects, 300 magazines, 200 books
The role of the Infantry Museum is to collect, preserve and exhibit the history of the Australian infantry soldier. The Museum is located within the Singleton Army Camp, which is the home of the army's Infantry Centre. The collection includes uniforms weapons, medals equipment and memorabilia. Current exhibitions include "Kokoda - The Bloody Track", "Korean War", "Tools of Trade", "The Tasmanians", "The Owen Gun Story" and "WWII Remembered".Estimated 12,000 objects
The St. George Regional Museum is maintained and run by Hurstville City Council, as a facility designed to collect, preserve, interpret and exhibit artefacts that relate to the history, heritage and culture of the regional area. The Museum is an ever changing entity designed to adapt to the needs of the local community, through interesting educational and public programs and special events.The St. George Regional Museum collects, records, researches, preserves, displays and stores material culture from the St. George district pre-1788 to 1970. The material culture collected will be used in...
McCrossin's Mill Museum and function centre is owned and operated by volunteers of Uralla Historical Society. The superbly restored three-storey flour mill houses many exhibitions, each with a distinctive, sometimes even humorous flavour. Visitors are astonished to find such a "Professional" set up in the quaint village of Uralla. Population 2,500. They also love the mill's beautifully maintained gardens, and the "Death of Thunderbolt" Painting series.Major features: Chinese Artefacts, "Death of Thunderbolt paintings", Thunderbolt Exhibition, Corporal Cecil...
Established in 1872, this is the oldest operating foundry in Australia. It is famous for its production of iron lace, ornamental and other castings. It also has an extensive collection of cedar patterns and early blacksmiths' and founders' tools. The entire foundry is in original working condition and is a fascinating industrial relic.Industrial Design, metalwork, woodwork, archaeology and antiquities, archives, cultural heritage, domestic items and technology, education and schools, images, local history, professions and trades, rural life, social history, engineering, horse-drawn...
The building which houses the Museum is heritage trust listed. It's collection is very basic at the moment.100 items

Pages