Social History Museum

The Museum displays Wondai Shire's history through artefacts from the early 1900s. Some of these include a 1934 Dennis fire engine, an Australia Remembers cabinet, bottle collection, steam traction engine, a hospital operating theatre, shingle barn, manual telephone exchange, petrol pump, church organ 1916, film projection equipment plus numerous farm machinery, equipment and other items.Approximately 8,500 items including photographic boards.
The complex is a pioneer village and museum. It comprises eleven weatherboard buildings in original condition: a museum hall (3 buildings); Acutt House - 1930 original home; 1910 ex Methodist Church and Church Vestry; a blacksmith shop; Dairy and three sheds of agricultural and manufacturing machinery including special "sugar cane" collection; and Goodwood Railway Station with rails and small goods carriage used for servicing oil tankers from the "Pier". The buildings are furnished with historical items, including significant collections of agricultural machinery, tools...
This heritage-listed woolscour, that once operated by steam, has been left intact as a living document. It is this last one of this type in Australia. There is a 20 stand shearing shed attached to the wool washing complex and an open flowing bore nearby. Outbuildings include a cookhouse, shearers quarters and managers residence. It has been left mainly intact and conservation work completed in 2002 reintroduced steam to the site.The collection consists mainly of historic machinery and buildings, large boilers, steam engines, wool wash troughs, large steam driven dryers, historic wool presses...
Loudoun House Museum, former home of John Moffat, Queensland's greatest mining entrepreneur, was built in 1884 from North Queensland red cedar. It houses a mineral collection and memorabilia from the early mining days of this area, a very extensive photographic collection which depicts the town and life as it was in the early years of this century. It also has a good archival collection on mining history.3,000 photographs, 20,000 items
The museum is in a fully furnished (c 1900) house and preserves a record of the history of the district through the home and furnishings, some farm machinery, sheds, tools, a slab shed and harness. The dairy industry and butter factory artefacts are featured. The museum also includes an extensive collection of photographs and a growing collection of the histories of people in the town and district.890 articles plus 820 photographs
The Heritage Centre consists of six distinct buildings plus a streetfront display of a windmill ostensibly supplying water to a 2 metre water wheel. This is backed by a covered display of wagons and farm machinery. The whole reflect the folk history content of the museum's buildings.Approximately 250 items
The Society maintains a sandstone cottage, built c.1870, which features furniture and household items representing more than 130 years of family life in the district. Collections of photographs, historical items, farming equipment, vehicles and machinery are displayed. Several buildings have been relocated on the site, including a church, slab hut, overseers cottage and an emporium building. A printing display includes presses and associated items from the Warwick Daily News.15,000 items
The Museum has a large collection of photographs covering pioneer families, Aborigines, ex-servicemen from World Wars I and II, and modern photographs - all tracing Theodore's development. The displays include the history of early station families, arts and crafts, a pioneer kitchen and bedroom, Aboriginal artefacts, town plans and farm machinery.
The complex consists of a local history museum, railway rolling stock and buildings, and original station homesteads made from hand cut slabs. Collections include a geological display; bottle collection; display of war artefacts and photographs of local service personnel; telecommunications exhibits with a manual exchange and old telephones; and a large collection of old tools and farm machinery.
Beenleigh Rum Distillery is the oldest registered distillery in Australia and is still operating. The stillhouse and stills are circa 1865, and feature several wooden vats, dating back to pre 1900, still in use. The Museum contains items used to make rum in bygone days and records the history of the cane fields, the rum trade and beginnings of Beenleigh as well as the uses for rum and the development of Beenleigh Distillers.50 stills and vats, over 300 smaller items, 300 photographs
The Society maintains a local and family history collection of research material (photographs, articles, books, newspaper cuttings and artefacts) housed in the former Borough Chambers in North Rockhampton. A guest speaker features at monthly meetings, held the first Sunday of each Month at 2pm (except January)
The Cultural Centre's exhibition hall displays genuine aboriginal artefacts. The hall is set out as a cave-like structure, providing information for self guiding tours which will be expanded upon in the future.60 articles
The Society's Museum is housed in an air-conditioned, single storey brick building. It features a wall display of chronological history; a thematic display under glass; various free-standing historical items; a small library of books, video tapes and slides; a large paper collection on file of localities and identities; and a large collection of photographs from pre 1990. Historical books produced by the Society and souvenirs are on sale. The Society provides guided tours of local historical areas and lectures delivered at local schools.Approximately 2,500 photographs, 7,000 items, 3...
The Taroom and District Historical Society has acquired various buildings including the old Church of St. Mary's (built 1893) which is now the main museum building, a blacksmith shop, boat house, hospital room, Reynolds Cottage and Jongh Tai Shue's shop. The buildings house a collection of old machinery used in the Taroom area, furniture, household items, tools, photographs and other artefacts. The museum organises the annual Leichhardt Festival in the museum grounds, between August and September.The collection illustrates elements of the social history of Taroom District and including life...
Acland was the last underground coal mine on the Darling Downs of Queensland and the last in Australia to work under these conditions, the only one to be intact from a working colliery. Guided tours show how and why items were used, the history and make-up of coal.Eight buildings and associated machinery. All items used by coal miners at the Acland Colliery (1913-1984). Hand Borers used 1913 to 1956 - Coal Cutter, Loader, Loco's, Crusher, Winch and drum used 1956 to 1984. Coal mining lights from Tallow to modern electric, Gas Testing - Safety Lamp, Drager, Anemometer, Sling Hygrometer, Books...
The Village features original 19th Century buildings and a War Museum with a collection of memorabilia. The Shell House contains one of the largest privately owned collections of shells in Australia. The Village was established to collect and preserve memorabilia, photographs, narratives and recollections of residents of the area.
A well presented display of the history of Bundaberg and district and its people. Sectionalised into agriculture, industry, commerce, home life, recreation and hobbies. Situated in a Botanic garden complex with a kiosk and other Museums nearby.Estimated 20,000 plus items and photographs. Articles related to everyday living of people of Bundaberg and District; Aboriginal and Islanders artefacts, shells, stuffed birds, files of written information, newspaper cuttings, communication and photographic history.

The building is the only one in town crafted from locally made 1860s brick with a timber floor and slat under corrugated iron roof. It is furnished with old hospital equipment similar to that originally used. This includes beds, many pieces of medical equipment and linen, nursery and operating equipment.

A collection of medical instruments, equipment, photographs and books of importance in the medical history of Queensland. The Museum presents theme displays and hosts lectures several times per year.
In 1994 the Torres Strait Museum displays were transferred from the old Masonic Lodge on John Street to the underground section of historic Green Hill Fort. The Fort was originally intended as a first line of defence for Australia against sea invasions in the 1855 war and World War II. Rooms of the Fort have been dedicated to different themes of display. The Cordite Store houses the Wanetta Collection - a collection of gifts, souvenirs and collectables put together by Mr Reg Hockings Snr. earlier this century. The defence display is being developed in the Powder Magazine. The Lamp Room...

Pages