Tools

A narrow gauge bush railway with 7km of track extending from the main road to a disused jetty near Southport passing scenic and historic sites. At certain times of the year a steam locomotive is used.
The Hamilton Heritage Centre is a small, local interest museum consisting of photographs and artefacts of the area. It is located in the Old Warder's Cottage, which was part of the convict probation station at Hamilton. It consists of a two-roomed cottage with displays, church records, farm and household items and photocopy facilities.Photographs 1870's to 1950's showing rural life and vista of Hamilton. Church records for St Peter's Anglican Church and Cemetery. Records for all churches in upper Derwent Valley. Farm implements and household articles.
Pearn's Steam Museum is a volunteer group dedicated to the restoration and preservation of early agricultural heritage.The collection includes Foden, Birdsall, Fowler, Buffalo Pitts, Avelinga, Porter and Eclipse steam traction engines. Railway memorabilia, stationary engines, associated farm and household tools, implements, tractors, fairground organ, miniature train travel on a 500m loop of the complex.
Australia's oldest existing colonial gaol in original preservation offers the only surviving example of female solitary confinement cells in Tasmania and an extensive collection of convict relics. It includes men's solitary confinement cells, chain gang holding rooms, a flogging yard, privy, female cells and gaoler's house. Displayed documents describe the gaol's use until it was closed in 1928, highlighting the exploits of its most colourful prisoners (eg Martin Cash, Ikey Solomon).approximately 100 convict relics, plus documents
This collection is currently being developed by a committee of volunteers who have been collecting any items related to the operations of the fire service and fire protection both of an historical and modern nature. Currently the museum is a collection only. Its aim is to preserve fire service equipment and memorabilia. Negotiations with the parent body (Tasmanian Fire Services) for public displays facilities are on going.Approximately 1500 items including 10 fire service vehicles
The Channel Historical and Folk Museum has displays of items, memorabilia and information relating to the history and lifestyle of the D'Entre casteaux channel area from Margate south to Gordon. The Museum is owned and managed by members of the D'Entre casteaux community and most of the items have been donated or loaned by past and present residents. The Museum is open to the public six days a week. There is a research library with books, a collection of photographs, maps and newspaper clippings relating to the district. The Association has special programs for school groups and community...
The Museum contains may culinary domestic items as well as some antique machinery and office equipment. Medals, coins, clothing, bottles and approximately 1,000 historic photos are displayed at two monthly intervals, as the area only allows for a small percentage to be displayed at one time.250 items; 1,000 photos
The main building onsite houses a collection of artefacts of local historical interest, displayed in mock building/room settings. The library building (a historic school building moved to the site) allows both genealogical historical and photographic study. Access to our computers enables research using our history database files and our developing interactive tour of the district program.Extensive collection of artefacts significant to the Central Coast district of Tasmania. Major photographic collection/archive. Extensive genealogical archive relating to local families.
(i) to preserve & maintain the "Victoria" Powder Magazine building situated on Carriage Drive, Queens Domain, Hobart within the guide-lines laid down for historic buildings on the register of National Estate.

(ii) to establish & maintain a museum relating to the military theme "the defences of the Derwent" from 1803 to 1945, at the "Victoria" Powder Magazine.

(iii) to raise monies pursuant to objectives (i) & (ii) by conducting military re-enactments in period uniform, and by acquiring, buying and selling Tasmanian Colonial...
A railway museum with working and static exhibits including Tasmania's oldest surviving steam locomotive. Trains run on the hour 10am to 4pm on a scenic line along the Don River to Coles Beach, Devonport. A large and varied collection of steam and diesel locomotives and passenger and revenue stock dating from 1869 to 1954. Stations, Signal box, communication equipment and railway memorabilia.11 x Steam Locomotives ; 7 x Diesel Locomotives and rail cars ; 26 x Passenger/Guards carriages, (50 +) x wagons and flat tray wagons, Railway cranes, extensive collection of tools, engineering equipment...

The Gold Museum performs a dual role as the home of the celebrated Simon collection of gold nuggets and coins, and as the Regional Museum for Ballarat. Permanent and temporary exhibitions exploring the history of the district are presented, encompassing both Ballarat social history and Koori cultural heritage.The Simon Gold Pavilion tells the story of gold throughout the ages, while the recently opened 'Ballarat: Inspired by Gold' exhibition traces the evolution of a grand Victorian city. The multi-media 'Land of the Watha Wurrung' delivers a dramatic interpretation of the region’s Koori...

The Golden Dragon Museum is the first museum in Victoria to become accredited through the museum accreditation program in 1997. The Golden Dragon Museum provides a living history of The Chinese people of Bendigo from the goldrush of the 1850's to the present day. Central to the permanent display is Sun Loong, the longest imperial dragon in the world. The Museum also features one of the finest collections of Chinese processional regalia in the world, and several hundred Chinese coins, some dating back to 221 BC.Approximately 2000 photographs, including objects, embroidery and costumes. A...
The Historical Society of Mooroopna is situated in the historic Mooroopna Manor, which was previously the Mooroopna Hosipital. The Museum is located on the 1st floor of the manor, in the former hospital operating suite. Displays explore aspects of local history and medical history.Approximately 3,000 items including photographs, certificates, maps, documents, newspapers, instruments, tools, paintings and a library.
The former Bairnsdale College (1891) contains a display on farming machinery, a bark roof log cabin, a country community hall/school and historic domestic items. Photographic and archival material relating to the history of East Gippsland is stored at the Resource Centre. Heritage garden surrounds the building.Approximately 20,000 items including machinery; 20,000 photographs, documents, maps, etc microfilm of East Gippsland newspapers.
Brambuk Aboriginal Cultural Centre is a unique and award winning design based on the open wings of the white Cockatoo - totem of the Grampians/Gariwerd region. Brambuk is committed to education, training and employment of Indigenous people and the preservation and promotion of culture. It is 100% owned and operated by Aboriginal People.Aboriginal artefacts ranging in age from today to 40,000 years ago. Contemporary and traditional arts and craft, contemporary and traditional dance and stories.

The Museum, consists of an historic post office (1890), a early and later period school buildings, pioneer's cottage and a bark hut. Lewis Lasseter (of fabled gold reef fame) - story of his activities in the district. His work boat is on display at the Museum. Displays deal with local history - from the discovery of gold, followed by timber getting, then dairying. As the area developed into a thriving community.Approximately 800 artefacts and 2000 photographs, and 100 documents

The Nunawading and District Historical Society Inc. maintains a furnished cottage (c1885) built from local stone, a barn, wine cellar, blacksmith's shop, smokehouse, a museum and an orchard and domestic machine area.About 3,000 artifacts including costumes, lace, handicrafts, tiles and clay products, orchard farming implements, toys, blacksmith's forge and tools, antique furniture and domestic equipment. There are also 3,000 photographs and more than 3,500 documents, books and maps.
The Hazelman family were early pioneers in the Kyabram district. Their four-roomed mud brick and slab timber cottage is situated within the Fauna Park and now contains an interesting collection of memorabilia, photographs and period furniture. Items in the cottage include children's toys, a sewing basket on legs, a very old wireless and a medicine chest. Other features include a blacksmith's shed and a machine shed containing buggies and various machines.600 items including 1927 Chevrolet Van which was used by Chinese markey gardener to sell vegtables from and a Scouts cart made by the...
Housed in the Mechanics' Institute building, Sorrento, a limestone building classified by the National Trust. The Museum contains artefacts, Aboriginal relics, photographs and documents, models, nineteenth century fashions and household equipment, examples of early technology, shipwreck relics and memorabilia from pioneering families and the great George Coppin. The museum has received accreditation from Museums Australia.Approximately 4000 items some 2000 of which are photographs. The collection covers the history of the Parish of Nepean, Shire of Mornington Peninsula, ie. Rye, Sorrento and...
The Museum and Library of the Society is housed in the hundred year old former Heidelberg Court House, complete with many original furnishings. The regularly changing displays of artefacts, photographs, prints and maps provide an informative insight into the development of Heidelberg and district.2000 items, 2000 photograph

Pages