Worsley Cottage Complex

Worsley Cottage Complex

The complex consists of a Victorian hand built stone cottage (by Arthur Worsley), furnished in the period and complemented by display areas depicting Maryborough's history from 1854 as well as Alfred and George Joyce's squatters' slab hut, now on the Register of the National Estate, and believed to be the oldest building in the district (circa 1844). The complex also has a new resource centre with family and district history records available for research.

Address: 
3 Palmerston Street, Maryborough, VIC
Tel: 
0254612800
Hours: 
Sundays 2.00pm - 5.00pm, Also by appointment.
Admission: 
Adults $3.00, Children 50c
Facilities: 
Toilets, car and bus parking, picnic area, kitchen, sales outlet, guided tours, information brochure, newsletter, educational services to schools.
Collection: 
Approximately 1200 photographs and 1000 items. Items relating to the social history of the Maryborough District including Vic/Edwardian furniture, domestic, farming and mining items, and archival material recording personal, commercial and industrial history of the area since pastoral settlement in 1840.
Share

Items

Bottles

Eucalyptus Bottles

Eucalyptus Bottles
Creator:
H.S. Cope, Eucalyptus Manufacturer Maryborough
Description:
Collection of 5 bottles, with original labels showing makers name and ingredients
Date:
1920-1970

Henry S Cope and Sydney W Fulton, began H.S. Cope and Co in 1908. The company produced Eucalyptus until 1970's. The Historical Society hold documents and ratebook entries

Table

Games Table

Games Table
Creator:
Uncle of Frederick Worsley
Description:
Oval Tabletop, inlaid with chessboard on pedestal with tripod feet.
Date:
1900

The maker of the table was employed at Harlings Coach Builders, Maryborough.

Sewing Machine

Hand Machine

Hand Machine
Creator:
Wheeler and Wilson, New York, USA
Description:
Small hand driven sewing machine, complete with attachments and wooden lockable case.
Date:
pre 1888

Mother of the donor purchased the machine before her marriage in 1888 from D.Plucke of Maryborough, was used for dressmaking, linen preparation and repair for the lifetime of the owner.

Organ - Manual

Pedal Organ

Pedal Organ
Creator:
Clough/Warren Organ Company
Description:
Small decorative pedal organ - light wood
Date:
1900's

First owned by Thomas and Mary Dossor of Benalla - passed to their daughter who used it for sing alongs with her children. Acquired by Midlands Historical Society in approx 1977.

Building

Joyce Brothers Squatters' Hut

Joyce Brothers Squatters' Hut
Creator:
Joyce Brothers
Description:
Slab hut, lined with hessian, built pre 1844, now on the register of the national estate.
Date:
1998-99

George and Alfred Joyce took up the "Plaistow" run in 1844 - named after their family home in England - hut was their home (2 rooms)